I Like the Movie "Glory" but..."Now turned politically correct discussion" (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like the movie "Glory" ok... about colored troops in the Civil war... but can anyone explain to me why it has playing constantly over and over again on the American Heros Channel AHC.

It played like 10 times last week... and it's on at 8pm and then 10pm again tonight.... WTF?

Last edited:
Maybe because a lot of those "colored" troops were actually heroes! Using the word "colored" to describe a certain race of people is deemed to be offensive.

Good movie, and the soundtrack is awesome, particularly during the closing credits, so I don't mind the repeats.

What is colored???What exactly does that mean?
If it is what I think...incredibly,incredibly
Insensitive.
Still in 2016, Oh my!!!

When discussing historical periods, it is generally okay to terminology like "colored" when it was official terminology of that period. If an Army unit was officially identified and characterized contemporaneously as 'colored', you can refer to it as colored. Historians do this all the time. Always trying to translate into modern terminology can be problematic.

When discussing historical periods, it is generally okay to terminology like "colored" when it was official terminology of that period. If an Army unit was officially identified and characterized contemporaneously as 'colored', you can refer to it as colored. Historians do this all the time. Always trying to translate into modern terminology can be problematic.

I agree when referring to the colored regiments in the army, but referring to the soldiers themselves as colored swings the other way I think. It's a bit of a fine point, and I may be completely wrong.

nah. you lose nothing by erring on the side of caution and since we are decades deep into this conversation, ignorance or historical usage is not a good enough 'excuse'

i'm not saying you can use a word like "*****rdly" - but either recognize and express the perspective/context that let's us know you know, or expect blowback
(not you specifically)

this is not a "colored" problem. This is a cable network problem.

1. Check to insure that all the other network channels are behaving the same way. You can find them all easily in "bundles" that are forced down your throat every month.

2. Check here for a suitable option

I have decided to change the OP back exactly like it was written to begin with. So anybody and everybody reading this thread can make up their own minds...

Regardless... people wonder why the fun gets sucked out of this web site.

Attachments

• colored soldiers.jpg
    colored soldiers.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 8
  • colored soldiers 2.jpg
    colored soldiers 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 7

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom