I love Brees but his lack of arm strength hurts this offense (1 Viewer)

That why taysom came in to throw that pass ...and that pass drew attempted to ginn you could tell that’s all the air he could put on that throw just by the way he launched it.

You know what else would hurt the offense? Not having Brees' accuracy, his pocket presence, his ability to throw WRs open, or his skills at reading a defense.

I get the point, but this isn't a perfect world where we can just snap our fingers and end up with all of Brees' greatness + a better arm. Taysom Hill is not even close to Brees at actually playing the QB position. Too many people are being blinded by a spot duty player coming in when the opposing team is reading run the whole way.

As long as Brees wants to play, he's our best option outside of drafting someone top 10 in the 1st round to develop. Hill is a transitional player at 30 years old and having never really excelled at actually playing QB.
Accuracy and reading defenses comes with experience. The younger QBs will develop in these areas as well.

This topic has been discussed to death. As I have said, Drew Brees no longer has the same deep ball anymore. He basically admitted as much in a recent interview, himself. Does that mean that our best move is to replace him with someone who can chunk a ball 50 yards down the field? No. Brees is still one of the most accurate short-medium range passers. It would be unwise to think that by gaining a stronger-armed quarterback, we would be upgrading the position altogether. Despite his age and somewhat of a weaker arm, I saw a guy play at a high level this season.

The time is going to come, soon, where Brees will retire, and we'll have to get used to a stripped-down offense, a less accurate QB, and hope the defense can keep us in games until whatever QB we have proves he can step up to the challenge in big moments. Don't get me wrong, I never expected us to go 5-0 with Teddy, but you're kidding yourself if you think he played the position better than Brees. Those were low scoring games where this defense played lights out, keeping us in games, and the running game was effective. Now, I understand the question of why we can't implement that same strategy with Brees. My answer is, we should. Even though Brees is still playing great (when the o-line holds up), we should be more balanced. In critical moments, you have experience and wisdom, and still a very accurate passer in Brees who can make a play. Our best shot at another championship, in my humble opinion, is to stick with Brees and build a stronger run game and use it!

If we fall short again, so be it. We tried. Then you do whatever is best going forward, but right now the best option we have is Brees. If Denver can win a SB with Manning's wobbly 10 yard passes, there's no reason we aren't capable of doing it with Brees.

That why taysom came in to throw that pass ...and that pass drew attempted to ginn you could tell that’s all the air he could put on that throw just by the way he launched it.
NO NO NO That's NOT why TH came in to run that play . he came in for a shot play because when he's in 90% of the time it's a RUN . and if you're gonna fake the D out then take a shot on a long one . It's the element of surprise

yes, he was the Jedi master in all of those categories against the Vikings. I don’t think anyone is saying that he hasn’t been great for the team and the city, but at some point he needs to retire.

FFS, if your preschool level logic is that because his last game was bad (after being incredible in Dec.), he's now officially bad, have fun.

Last edited:
His "lack of arm strength" guided the Saints to another 13-3 record.

Just say your excited to see what the Taysom era will bring and stop tearing down a still very elite player because your ready to see the shiny new toy.

....in Football, the Backup QB is the most popular player on the team...and this is the first time we've had a backup people were excited about whether that is Teddy or Taysom.

I would say our Defense and Special teams lead us to another 13-3 with spurts of offensive dominance (never consistent).

Hell Drew didn't even play 5 games, we won them all.

This topic has been discussed to death. As I have said, Drew Brees no longer has the same deep ball anymore. He basically admitted as much in a recent interview, himself. Does that mean that our best move is to replace him with someone who can chunk a ball 50 yards down the field? No. Brees is still one of the most accurate short-medium range passers. It would be unwise to think that by gaining a stronger-armed quarterback, we would be upgrading the position altogether. Despite his age and somewhat of a weaker arm, I saw a guy play at a high level this season.

The time is going to come, soon, where Brees will retire, and we'll have to get used to a stripped-down offense, a less accurate QB, and hope the defense can keep us in games until whatever QB we have proves he can step up to the challenge in big moments. Don't get me wrong, I never expected us to go 5-0 with Teddy, but you're kidding yourself if you think he played the position better than Brees. Those were low scoring games where this defense played lights out, keeping us in games, and the running game was effective. Now, I understand the question of why we can't implement that same strategy with Brees. My answer is, we should. Even though Brees is still playing great (when the o-line holds up), we should be more balanced. In critical moments, you have experience and wisdom, and still a very accurate passer in Brees who can make a play. Our best shot at another championship, in my humble opinion, is to stick with Brees and build a stronger run game and use it!

If we fall short again, so be it. We tried. Then you do whatever is best going forward, but right now the best option we have is Brees. If Denver can win a SB with Manning's wobbly 10 yard passes, there's no reason we aren't capable of doing it with Brees.

I'm not sure Sean will ever use a run game to set up the pass. We are going to have to actually go out and acquire those WR's we've needed for so long.

Cmon man, you can't deny that his lack of ability to pressure Defenses beyond 30-40-50 yards down the field doesn't make it easier for NFL players and coaches to scheme against. The fact that he still is so good is a testament to his ability. Nobody is saying that he is done, but unlike in his earlier years... he is lacking a dimension at the QB position. He just so happens to make up for it with his accuracy/timing/knowledge.

Yes he can. And will. As will many. I love Drew and am forever thankful for him....but imo it’s time.

And he did not guide us to 13-3. He missed 5 games and Teddy went 5-0.

Anyone who doesn’t think a QB that cannot throw even a ‘short’ long ball doesn’t hinder the whole offense is in denial. Lala land. And that’s cool, different takes is part of what makes life interesting.

I would say our Defense and Special teams lead us to another 13-3 with spurts of offensive dominance (never consistent).

Hell Drew didn't even play 5 games, we won them all.

Defense kept us in the 1st half of the season for sure. Then the offense picked up the pace in the 2nd half while the defense stumbled.

Anyone who doesn’t think a QB that cannot throw even a ‘short’ long ball doesn’t hinder the whole offense is in denial. Lala land. And that’s cool, different takes is part of what makes life interesting.
He connected on plenty "short" long balls this year. He just doesn't have the bomb in him anymore.

He connected on plenty "short" long balls this year. He just doesn't have the bomb in him anymore.

Respectfully disagree with that take Job.
Drew is my favorite Saint ever and we owe him everything. He’s also been robbed of 3 Super Bowls in my estimation, one by the refs. Very sad.

Having said all of that Father Time is and will always remain undefeated. When teams effectively shut down the short to intermediate stuff then we are milquetoast on offense at best.
He’s still a very very good QB imo but without the threat of over the top it becomes very difficult to win especially in the Playoffs. Having to maintain short drives with surgical precision leaves little room for error and lots of room for us to make a drive killing mistake. There was a time (up until just a couple of years ago actually) that literally every single time Drew slung it downfield I expected a great TD or at least a great play. Now I literally expect an int each time. For the last two years (IMO) we haven’t even needed Ginn on the roster as Drew could never hit him long.

Respectfully disagree with that take Job.
Drew is my favorite Saint ever and we owe him everything. He’s also been robbed of 3 Super Bowls in my estimation, one by the refs. Very sad.

Having said all of that Father Time is and will always remain undefeated. When teams effectively shut down the short to intermediate stuff then we are milquetoast on offense at best.
He’s still a very very good QB imo but without the threat of over the top it becomes very difficult to win especially in the Playoffs. Having to maintain short drives with surgical precision leaves little room for error and lots of room for us to make a drive killing mistake. There was a time (up until just a couple of years ago actually) that literally every single time Drew slung it downfield I expected a great TD or at least a great play. Now I literally expect an int each time. For the last two years (IMO) we haven’t even needed Ginn on the roster as Drew could never hit him long.
Respectfully disagree all you want but @BiloxiSaint1 has posted the graphs of Brees's passes from multiple games showing that he completes 30 and 40 yard passes when they're called. He just doesn't have the "50 yards in the air ball" at the ready like he used to even though he connected on one of those this year too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom