I love Brees but his lack of arm strength hurts this offense (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Ever since Brees and Payton arrived in 2006 this offense always had the threat of hitting big plays down the field. But presently the great Drew Brees is about to turn 41 and his lack of arm strength is evident. Flame all you want but it's a fact. It doesn't change the fact that he is a great leader, very accurate with the football with the throws he can still make, and is as cerebral as any QB who has ever played. But as much as most of us has been clamoring for another WR to pair with Thomas, how much different would the Offense be with the deep ball isn't a viable option and it just isn't any longer with Brees. You saw Taysom Hill put in the game to throw the bomb to Deonte Harris (who better play more on offense next season by the way). In my opinion, if the Saints are to win a Super Bowl with Brees you have to go the route the Denver Broncos did with Elway & Manning. Have a strong running game that you commit to and a dominant defense. If the Saints fix their deep coverage woes and Davenport can stay healthy, that can improve the defense immensely. And "if" Latavius Murray isn't Payton's cup of tea at RB then get one who is because I think the experiment with using Kamara as an every down back failed.

The same thing happened to Brady. They are purely a dink and dunk offense now. Especially now that they don't have Gronk to allow for more YAC.

We could make our offense work fine, but you need WAY better receivers.
Harris and Hill are really the only receivers outside Thomas that are capable of creating YAC, but it's still not consistent.
Smith is either home run or he completely disappears.

True.. lack of arm strength does hampered some long plays. But take the bad with the good. His turnovers has gone down very much in recent years. He is a bit more careful with his reads and throws. He still the tops in completion percentage, and yards. And most importantly we are winning 13 games. In all honesty I take this Brees over the early Brees any time of the day. It is up to the coaches to adjust some things to make it more effective. You can look at our early years where ALL the receivers are a threat at any given day. Not having a good or true number 2 receivers are factors in our lack of long plays too. But no denying that Brees arms are not as strong.

His "lack of arm strength" guided the Saints to another 13-3 record.

Just say your excited to see what the Taysom era will bring and stop tearing down a still very elite player because your ready to see the shiny new toy.

....in Football, the Backup QB is the most popular player on the team...and this is the first time we've had a backup people were excited about whether that is Teddy or Taysom.

You know what else would hurt the offense? Not having Brees' accuracy, his pocket presence, his ability to throw WRs open, or his skills at reading a defense.

I get the point, but this isn't a perfect world where we can just snap our fingers and end up with all of Brees' greatness + a better arm. Taysom Hill is not even close to Brees at actually playing the QB position. Too many people are being blinded by a spot duty player coming in when the opposing team is reading run the whole way.

As long as Brees wants to play, he's our best option outside of drafting someone top 10 in the 1st round to develop. Hill is a transitional player at 30 years old and having never really excelled at actually playing QB.

Ever since Brees and Payton arrived in 2006 this offense always had the threat of hitting big plays down the field. But presently the great Drew Brees is about to turn 41 and his lack of arm strength is evident. Flame all you want but it's a fact. It doesn't change the fact that he is a great leader, very accurate with the football with the throws he can still make, and is as cerebral as any QB who has ever played. But as much as most of us has been clamoring for another WR to pair with Thomas, how much different would the Offense be with the deep ball isn't a viable option and it just isn't any longer with Brees. You saw Taysom Hill put in the game to throw the bomb to Deonte Harris (who better play more on offense next season by the way). In my opinion, if the Saints are to win a Super Bowl with Brees you have to go the route the Denver Broncos did with Elway & Manning. Have a strong running game that you commit to and a dominant defense. If the Saints fix their deep coverage woes and Davenport can stay healthy, that can improve the defense immensely. And "if" Latavius Murray isn't Payton's cup of tea at RB then get one who is because I think the experiment with using Kamara as an every down back failed.

AK is most definitely not an every down back. And I agree on Drew.

Just say your excited to see what the Taysom era will bring and stop tearing down a still very elite player because your ready to see the shiny new toy.

....in Football, the Backup QB is the most popular player on the team...and this is the first time we've had a backup people were excited about whether that is Teddy or Taysom.
Please don't misunderstand. I'm not on the Taysom Hill should be starting bandwagon. I'm just saying Payton has to recognize he needs to rely more on a power running game and have Drew do what he does to ensure more playoff success. Just what the Vikings did last Sunday and what the Rams did last year.

Well, to be fair, Drew guided the Saints to an 8-4 record (counting the playoff loss).
Not saying that Teddy or Taysom are viable replacements, but Teddy deserves due credit for the 5 victories while at the helm.

You know what else would hurt the offense? Not having Brees' accuracy, his pocket presence, his ability to throw WRs open, or his skills at reading a defense.

I get the point, but this isn't a perfect world where we can just snap our fingers and end up with all of Brees' greatness + a better arm. Taysom Hill is not even close to Brees at actually playing the QB position. Too many people are being blinded by a spot duty player coming in when the opposing team is reading run the whole way.

As long as Brees wants to play, he's our best option outside of drafting someone top 10 in the 1st round to develop. Hill is a transitional player at 30 years old and having never really excelled at actually playing QB.

yes, he was the Jedi master in all of those categories against the Vikings. I don’t think anyone is saying that he hasn’t been great for the team and the city, but at some point he needs to retire.

Cmon man, you can't deny that his lack of ability to pressure Defenses beyond 30-40-50 yards down the field doesn't make it easier for NFL players and coaches to scheme against. The fact that he still is so good is a testament to his ability. Nobody is saying that he is done, but unlike in his earlier years... he is lacking a dimension at the QB position. He just so happens to make up for it with his accuracy/timing/knowledge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom