I May Be In The Minority (1 Viewer)

When Brees comes off the books this year we will resign him to a long term deal.

That's a horrifying prospect. TB has yet to show that he can be even an average starting QB in the NFL. Giving him a long-term deal would be a horrific decision.

The team could not continue to ignore the glaring hole of not have a legitimate option at the backup qb position if Drew goes down.

Ummm, what does that say about SP's ability to pick STARTING QUALITY QB's????

(And there's a few more that can be added to that list!)
A 3rd, 7th, and two UDFA's who he tried to turn into starting quality back ups. He's not a miracle worker.

OTOH, he's also responsible for Tony Romo's success and Vodka Collins in New York. Payton knows what he's doing when it comes to evaluating and teaching a QB. It isn't his fault if they can't hack it. Hell, Chase Daniel has made like $20 million in the league just because he was Brees's backup. If Payton liked enough of what he saw day in and day out from Bridgewater enough to bring him back this year as Drew's backup - with the hopes that if Drew misses a game here or there that TB can come in and still give us a chance to win - then I'm going to defer to him. It isn't like he signed him to a 5 year starter deal, and neither did any other team even offer anything close to it.

None of us knows what the 2020 season will hold for us at QB, and a number of positions. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it and keep building to make another run at a championship this year...which seems to be exactly what we're doing with the signings we've made. (Both our own FA's and getting a solid NT as well. And free agency isn't even over yet.)

I see a lot of TB hate in this thread guys be thankful we didn't have to sign tannehill. There's a reason why SP and the front office paid him. Trust in the process and everything will pan out.

Hate? It's not hate; it is just a lack of excitement/eyesbrows raised because the Saints gave $7.5 mil to the backup QB who has nothing to show the past 3 seasons, and was pedestrian in his 2 seasons with the Vikings.

He was the core to our locker room and such a great back,
He was a good locker room leader, but make no mistake about it....the core to this locker room, is DB9. In most locker rooms, players will tell you they are motivated by money, or representing their family name, or not wanting to disappoint the coach, etc. But in this locker room, everyone's motivation is not letting Drew Brees down. He has a work ethic second to none, unquestionable character, and no one wants to be the one to disappoint Drew. He is the core in this locker room.

Yes you are in the minority. Father time is catching up to Brees. As you can see he was tired come the end of the season. A back up as good as TB is great to have. Smart money was on Murrary over Ingram. We offered him just under what Baltimore did, but after he turned us down. best deal he got was probably worth more to stay then Balts, but too late. We paid a proven back 14 mil for 4 yrs. Smart money. Sucks to lose Okafor, but thats big money for a rotation guy. Davenport's time to shine. I like what we are doing. Just hope we can lock down Jared Cook
I like the post. It hurts to say it. But right on every point.

I can understand some of your feelings about it, but I'm trusting the organization on Teddy. Statistically, he and Drew have similar starts to their careers. Another year with Sean, Drew and our organization will have Teddy ready.

Teddy wasn’t ment to be the pass happy QB in Minnesota. The game against Tampa you could see the Saints had no game plan and were simply cashing it in. Payton treated that game like a preseason game so what he was looking for in Bridgewaters performance he must have seen. Plus it was his first live action in 3 years. Give the guy a break.

I’m happy we have Bridgewater. I can’t think of a backup I’d rather have on the team, nor any of the flashes in the pan that are floating around in the NFL. Last couple years we’ve seen some ridiculous money being thrown around to guys who haven’t really done a heck of a lot. What we have with Bridgewater is a guy coming here. Learning the system. Learning the guys he throws to and protect him. I’ve also always felt the Bridgewater has the decision making to succeed in this offense. He also has Brees for a model, and I’ve never heard it said that Bridgewater doesn’t work his butt off. So I’m happy.

Losing Okafor really isn’t a big deal. Davenport is here, Hendrickson is serviceable. That position is fine, and last year was I believe Okafor’s only season he played all of.

Losing Mark was a loss, but the thing with Mark is he had his moments where he was on and unstoppable, but not always. He was also a pretty much run only guy who defenses knew what was coming. By swapping the two backs it allows for some shifting around in an offense. Ingram’s role was predictable. Murray will bring uncertainty back to it.

Teddy wasn’t ment to be the pass happy QB in Minnesota. The game against Tampa you could see the Saints had no game plan and were simply cashing it in. Payton treated that game like a preseason game so what he was looking for in Bridgewaters performance he must have seen. Plus it was his first live action in 3 years. Give the guy a break.

It's turned into a pass happy league, so I hope Teddy can throw 40 times if he must. He looked awful in the CAR game, even if it was played like preseason. He has a long way to go to make me comfortable with him under Center.

I've always liked TB and really thought he was turning a corner and becoming one of the best young qb's in the NFL before the devastating injury....I trust in SP that he thinks TB is capable of leading the Saints after Brees....

Just thought I would post this. I get the doubts but I’m going to trust this front office who has probably been the 2nd best in the nfl behind NE the last 3 years. We have a great foundation if Teddy can return to this form we have a very very bright future ahead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom