I May Be In The Minority (1 Viewer)

And neither are on the team. What’s their contingency plan now? You have to have one right?
What's your point, again? Because the Patriots are playing with fire, we should too?

People gotta stop using such an extreme outlier as an example to emulate.

As for Bridgewater, I hope for the best, like always. But does he excite me as the heir to Brees? Not really.

But I'm cool with letting accepting whatever Payton does with the offense. He hits way, way more often than he misses.

1 year deal isn’t a contingency plan.
If Brees gets hurt. It is. That's the contingency. You think Bridgewater is dumb enough to sign a multi year deal instead of trying to get starter money, next year?

It's why I advocate drafting a rookie since getting him. I rather exploit a rookie contract than lose our superstars

I would feel better about it if Teddy had ever actually shown that he was a good starting QB.

In 2015, he had Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, and Mike Wallace, and AP was named First-Team All-Pro. Yet Teddy barely averaged 200 yards per game, and had only 14 TDs to 9 INTs. For his career, he has 29 TDs to 23 INTs.
If you look at his career best per-attempt number - it was 5.70 ANY/A in 2015. Which was 28th that season (behind Blaine Gabbert), and would've been good for 28th this past season (behind Mariota).

The Saints aren't the 2000 Ravens - they aren't going to compete for titles with a below average game-manager at QB.

The roster we've built isn't going to stay together when Brees is due $21M without even being on the team and we have to also pay Bridgewater a multi-year starting contract.

Payton has four sub .500 seasons. He makes mistakes and in the past it's been usually been about his mismanagement of the cap not allowing us to build a good team (see 2014-2016). I think he's being too risk averse and we are going to regret not resetting the deck with a rookie like so many other up and coming teams have.

We will lose some guys. It's the nature of the game.

But I think we're pretty locked in on who is irreplaceable now. We won't let those guys go. And we will find ways to structure contracts to make it all work.

Signing a QB Payton believes will be our franchise guy for one more year for a chance to prove he really is that guy won't change any of that.

I would feel better about it if Teddy had ever actually shown that he was a good starting QB.

In 2015, he had Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph, and Mike Wallace, and AP was named First-Team All-Pro. Yet Teddy barely averaged 200 yards per game, and had only 14 TDs to 9 INTs. For his career, he has 29 TDs to 23 INTs.
If you look at his career best per-attempt number - it was 5.70 ANY/A in 2015. Which was 28th that season (behind Blaine Gabbert), and would've been good for 28th this past season (behind Mariota).

The Saints aren't the 2000 Ravens - they aren't going to compete for titles with a below average game-manager at QB.

If he had already shown he was a good starter...we'd have to pay a backup QB like Nick Foles.

TB hasn’t played a meaningful game in years. In his one start last year he looked like a deer in headlights. It actually made me cringe to watch him out there. We needed to keep our core together and we didn’t so we can ensure to have enough money to keep our back QB. If we pay him a ton of money down the road and he doesn’t pan out (like I believe will happen) our franchise will be set back several years again.

TB hasn’t played a meaningful game in years. In his one start last year he looked like a deer in headlights. It actually made me cringe to watch him out there. We needed to keep our core together and we didn’t so we can ensure to have enough money to keep our back QB. If we pay him a ton of money down the road and he doesn’t pan out (like I believe will happen) our franchise will be set back several years again.

There's only two outcomes here if we do end up paying him a big contract in 2020 (if we don't, he's going to go for a multi-year deal elsewhere making all this moot). Either Bridgewater becomes elite, making all the money issues worth it and helping to overcome some of the players we lose, or he is anything but elite and this sets us back two years or so and we end up having to draft a QB anyway.

We'll see what happens. Payton better have him ready to play this season because if he looks lost in preseason, there's no reason to believe Bridgewater just needs yet another year for the light to come on.

If Brees gets hurt. It is. That's the contingency. You think Bridgewater is dumb enough to sign a multi year deal instead of trying to get starter money, next year?

It's why I advocate drafting a rookie since getting him. I rather exploit a rookie contract than lose our superstars

If brees gets hurt Teddy will not make any bit of difference than any other backup is the point. It’s not a contingency.

I'm fine with Bridgewater. I like the idea of moving to a QB they know well and trust (which Payton seems to). A rookie is more of a risk imo and requires draft capital we probably won't see till 2021 at best. The young talent on the team is good enough to possibly keep us from getting a decent draft pick and worth trying to keep winning.

Bridgewater had nothing to do with Ingram. We lost Ingram over a questionable agent. The 0.5 mil/yr difference had nothing to do with cap room. The only loss other than that was Okafor. I don't see them investing that much at the position with Davenport there. Okafor was going to see a steady decline of snaps, he's being paid as a starter now.

We'll still have plenty of cap to get a FA TE signed or whatever else they decide to do with it. I'm guessing around 4 mil after all the signings hit the books.

We gave up this year’s 3rd rd pick for Teddy. He’s a former 1st rd pick, that showed good promise before his terrible injury. So in essence, I look at it like we drafted Drew’s replacement in the 3rd rd this year, with prior NFL experience. Same for Eli Apple. We got an experienced former 1st rd pick, with our 4th rd pick, who’s now our starter.

Ima be honest I'm like bridgwater? but If the coach of the one of the greatest quarterback of all times for 13 years likes Bridgewater I'm cool with it. Now if it was Jeff Fisher I'll be upset

But I am not excited at all about the Teddy Bridgewater signing! I would have rather spent the money resigning Ingram and Okafor. This team already feels different than the last 2 years and not in a good way. We probably have only 1 year left with Drew. Why not keep our entire nucleus which got us one missed tackle from a championship in 2017 and one missed penalty from a 2018 Super Bowl. We don’t even know if Teddy Bridgewater will be worth a flip if he gets a chance to succeed Brees and we sunk over 7 million in guaranteed money to back him up for one year. What happens next year??? I am still sick to my stomach over losing Ingram. He was the core to our locker room and such a great back, yet we let him walk over a couple million! All to make sure we keep our back up QB! Not to mention we haven’t even addressed any needs like TE or a #2 WR we so desperately need. At this point into the offseason we certainly have not improved and dare I say we have probably regressed. As I am typing this looks like Golden Tate has signed with the giants ?
I’m with you man
While you have a HOF once in a lifetime QB, you build around him in the starting 21 other players, not his replacement
I’d trade the following 10 years after Drew retires to see him win one more
I guess others wanna see “dogfights” with Matt Ryan and cam puketon for the dictions and lose in the first second round

Just curious why everyone thinks the Saints will have to pay high dollar for TB next year. Market and value set the price. With the amount of quarterback movement this year he was not a hot commodity during this off season. Unless there is a reason he has to play, he will be a sort of forgotten commodity. I am mixed on his return, trusting the ones that get paid to evaluate his talent and worth to the team to do exactly that. I just can't see where if it is the same scenario as last year, where he becomes a bank breaker next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom