I might be moving to enemy territory... need info on Raleigh, NC (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's starting to look like I might be sleeping with the kitty cats soon. I've almost got a new job wrapped up but my wife and I have to decide whether or not we are ready to move to Raleigh, NC. The company is giving me a signing bonus to use to cover relocation. The good news is that my home has appreciated a bit and I think I'll have a good amount of cash to use for a down payment.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here lives or has lived in Raleigh. I would love to hear opinions on the place. I'll mostly be telecommuting but many of my customers are in the Triangle and I'll need to pay them a visit from time to time. The main customer is IBM. I'm thinking of living as far west as Hillsborough and south as far as Pittsboro. I'm still researching the cities and neighborhoods to find the best fit. Any thoughts?

Can't give you much info on Raleigh. I lived near Charlotte. But a few observations on NC.

It was weird to me, that on any day I might run into rednecks, hipsters, good old boys, hippies, northern US transplants. Lots of foreign transplants.

A lot of folks say they're Panthers fans, but many of them don't know much about the team, like when their next game is and who they're playing.

The whole state is beautiful to look at.

You could pick much worse places to live.

Did my mfa in Greensboro
Really enjoyed NC a lot (afterwards a young team then) the mountains are crazy beautiful - you'd also be a healthy drive from the beaches
What deacon is saying is what I remember the most - just crazy mix of folks in a good way

I would rent for the first year. It will let you learn the area, figure out where you like, and if you like it at all.

I've lived near Greensboro for the last nine years. I really love it here. It's got a little bit of everything (and as already mentioned, everyone). In Raleigh, you'd be 3+ hours from Asheville and the mountains or -3 hours to the coast. It's about 4 hours to Charleston, SC (one of my favorite places to visit) or about 4-1/2 hours up to DC.

We have seasons here. I'd say the Triangle tends to get more ice than snow in the winter, but they still get cold in winter and hot in summer.

Despite being a swing state in presidential elections, we've gone fairly conservative in state elections.

Southwest flies out of Raleigh, which can be a nice perk if you're much of a traveler.

My company has eight locations in mid/large cities throughout the Southeast and mid-West, but I don't know that there's any other place I'd rather be to be raising a family.

I have a two really good friends in Raleigh that I visit once a year or so.

I love the area. Its highly educated, clean, good schools (from what they tell me, they both have kids), its very very liveable. It might not be the most diverse place (not necessarily talking about race/nationality and stuff) since it seems to be largely an affluent-mindset, rather privileged, maybe. But if that does not bother you then its great. Its probably also very liberal - certainly for a city in the South, and more so for a city its size.

I think its a great place and would consider moving there if I did not have so many friends and family where I live.

Raleigh will not feel like "enemy territory" at all as far as the Panthers are concerned. Around there, it is hoops, with UNC and Duke right there, and Wake Forest close by in the Triad. You really have to get close to Charlotte and further south into SC to feel like you are in Panthers' territory.

A lot of transplants in that area because of Research Triangle, especially immediately to the west, in Cary (or C.A.R.Y.: Concentration Area for Relocated Yankees :) ).

Nice area to live, and really, NC has many nice areas to live and raise a family. But you may feel the Raleigh metro area lacks "flavor".

Really, Raleigh is a melting pot. People from all over live here.

It's a great place to raise your kids and a great place to live.

And people around here only care about the panthers if they're winning. So most of the time you don't have to worry about it.

This is college basketball county.

I would rent for the first year. It will let you learn the area, figure out where you like, and if you like it at all.

It's very possible we will be doing that. Miyako and are talking about buying an acre and having a custom job done. We shall see..

The only real downside to moving is that we have set down some good roots in north Texas. We have an extended family through our church and Miyako and I both have a huge number of friends here. I also love living close to Louisiana. I also just got my CHL in Texas. heh heh..

But it will be nice to make an easy trip to Charlotte to see our boys lay down a whoopin' once a year..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom