I miss 1986 (1 Viewer)

After binge watching old 80s music videos over the last couple of days, i have come to the conclusion that Susanna Hoffs’ eyes were the most underrated thing about the 80s... Never was a big fan of the Bangles, but man was she a knockout.. actually she still is a knockout, and she’s now in her 60s!

After binge watching old 80s music videos over the last couple of days, i have come to the conclusion that Susanna Hoffs’ eyes were the most underrated thing about the 80s... Never was a big fan of the Bangles, but man was she a knockout.. actually she still is a knockout, and she’s now in her 60s!

she helped some little teenage minds have some really bad thoughts. I mean, I'm sure. Not mine of course.

Susanna Hoffs | Discography | Discogs

Little known fact, "Eternal Flame" was inspired by her affection for me. At least that's what I thought. She and Joan Jett were my big crushes.

Little known fact, "Eternal Flame" was inspired by her affection for me. At least that's what I thought. She and Joan Jett were my big crushes.

Eternal Flame IMO, is the only Bangles song worth anything.. great, great slow jam.. their other hits havent held up well at all, and weren’t even that good when they came out IMO.. not sure of they have any ‘deep cuts’ I’m unaware of.

At the risk of being un-PC, I would rank the best known 80s ‘girl bands’ thusly:

Heart - far and away the best, none of the others come close.. of course, they might be considered equally as much a 70s band as an 80s band.. but not only are they the best that female groups had to offer, they kicked *** regardless of gender, their songs rank up there with any group of the last 40 or 50 years

The GoGos- they actually had a few decent tunes, kind of peppy and upbeat, though i wouldnt pay to see them in concert.

The Bangles- as mentioned, nothing worth mentioning.. except for Eternal Flame, which has gotten better as the years go by.

Eternal Flame IMO, is the only Bangles song worth anything.. great, great slow jam.. their other hits havent held up well at all, and weren’t even that good when they came out IMO.. not sure of they have any ‘deep cuts’ I’m unaware of.

At the risk of being un-PC, I would rank the best known 80s ‘girl bands’ thusly:

Heart - far and away the best, none of the others come close.. of course, they might be considered equally as much a 70s band as an 80s band.. but not only are they the best that female groups had to offer, they kicked *** regardless of gender, their songs rank up there with any group of the last 40 or 50 years

The GoGos- they actually had a few decent tunes, kind of peppy and upbeat, though i wouldnt pay to see them in concert.

The Bangles- as mentioned, nothing worth mentioning.. except for Eternal Flame, which has gotten better as the years go by.

While never a huge Bangles fan, their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter was decent. Michael Steele was also a very talented bass player and singer/songwriter.

Heart is absolutely the tops of the three groups you mentioned, but can you really consider them a "girl band"? They had more dudes than girls in the group.

The GoGos - blah!

Ellen Foley. Who? You say?

1585499305351.png
"Hair"

1585499452843.png
"Paradise by the Dashboard Light"

1585499603760.png
"Cocktail"

1585499781561.png
"Night Court"

While never a huge Bangles fan, their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter was decent. Michael Steele was also a very talented bass player and singer/songwriter.

Heart is absolutely the tops of the three groups you mentioned, but can you really consider them a "girl band"? They had more dudes than girls in the group.

The GoGos - blah!
It’s always seemed odd to me that there are so few boy/girl bands
Like the sum total seems to be ‘and Fleetwood Mac’
And maybe Fleetwood Mac is the reason why there aren’t more - the personnel issues probably answer that question (as they probably do with 95% of bands)

Then your example of girl fronted bands: Pretenders, Jefferson Airplane, Heart, Joan Jett

The 80s were pretty good for putting more girl bands out there, but since?

Not sure if imasking anything- just commenting

It’s always seemed odd to me that there are so few boy/girl bands
Like the sum total seems to be ‘and Fleetwood Mac’
And maybe Fleetwood Mac is the reason why there aren’t more - the personnel issues probably answer that question (as they probably do with 95% of bands)

Then your example of girl fronted bands: Pretenders, Jefferson Airplane, Heart, Joan Jett

The 80s were pretty good for putting more girl bands out there, but since?

Not sure if imasking anything- just commenting

In the 60's and 70's there were

The Mamas and the Papas with Cass Elliott and Michelle Phillips

The 5th Dimension with Marilyn McCoo

The Staple Singers

Ell1585499781561.png
"Night Court"

Wow that’s cool. I just used Night Court in the TV trivia thread and there is the now deceased H Anderson. And I just finished the last season of Mimdhunters which was about the Atlanta child murders. Something I would not have even known about had I not watched the show. What a time capsule old issues like that are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom