I need some Christmas gift ideas.... (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
...and I have already checked hookers, blow and tacoes off of the list.

I am looking for something unique for Bleu Dad, something I know that he will get a kick out of. I have checked several possibilities like a camera with photo printer combo (he does not own a computer and doesn't want to) or a digital camera where he can take the card to Walgreen's to get prints (he loves printed pictures - the digital photo frame I got him a couple of years ago only gets turned on rarely).

He loves model railroading and has a layout but he can only run the trains he has now, he doesn't have the fine motor skills needed to work on the buildings, scenery, etc any more.

I thought about a Kindle, but he doesn't read that much to begin with.

Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Anyone?

My father loves railroads and have an extensive collection of model rail road items. When we were younger he had tracks running through an entire room with buildings etc. As we grew older most of it was packed in boxes and he gave up the room in order for all of us kids having a room of our own. He always said that when he retired he would rebuild the whole thing.

My father retired 4 years ago, but due to a bad back injury (he actually broke his back although luckily his spinal cord was not severely damaged) he was no longer able to do the rebuild of his dream himself. 2 years ago - all his kids and grandkids pooled our effort and gave him a "giftcard" of a railroad rebuild.

I spend a weekend with my father designing a Virtual railroad on the computer. (There are several program that will let you do that and if your father liked computers that would be an option).

My Brother spend 2 weekends building the woodwork, shelves and tables the train would run on, My husband spend another 2 painting city and landscapes on all the walls. I set up the electrical part and the control station. All the grandkids then took turns spending their weekends at his house - helping him do all the practical stuff of laying the tracks, painting the houses and getting everything just right. It took about 6 months but now he has his dream model railroad again.

Last year we again pooled our ressources and got him and my mother tickets for a 3 day trip on the orient express. Our daughter went along as well as practical help, since neither of my parents are very good at English and are not supposed to lift anything weighing more than 2 pounds. My father took about 2000 pictures and had a faboulous time.

How about a train ticket to go to Grand Central and back or something like that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom