I never wanted to wear clothing representing an opposing coach... (1 Viewer)

Agreed completely with the spirit of your post, as the league's offenses figured out how to beat those blitzes fairly easily in the years after that season.

But indeed the '85 Bears played and beat both the 49ers and Redskins during the regular season that year, with the 49ers game probably being their strongest NFC win on the schedule....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/1985.htm

1985 was a bad year for both the Niners and 'Skins.

Washington suffered a crucial set back when Joe Thiesmann had his career ending injury. He was not having a good season prior to that incident. (These years where he would come crashing back down to earth and have mediocre production are the reason he's not in the Hall of Fame despite having 2 All Pro honors, an MVP and a SB ring on his resume)

Montana was also injured a bit in 1985 and he posted a poor TD/INT ratio. The Niners in '85 and '86 were not the same team they would be a few years later.

The next year in 1986, Washington was waiting for the Bears and beat them in Chicago. I think that is the game where Jay Schroder ripped them to pieces. No elite QB? No problem when it's an old school Joe Gibbs team with his tweaked Air Coryell offense.

The 4-6 defense had a glaring weakness for covering the deep ball. Dan Marino exposed them in that 1985 MNF game. Thankfully, they didn't have to face another elite QB with deep threat receivers. The 49ers did not have that yet, but would a few years later after drafting Jerry Rice and the 'Skins had Art Monk whom they had no answer for.

IMO Joe Gibbs was the best coach of that era and Washington's decline since Synder bought the team is simply suffering karma from it. He won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs and his teams were always stacked. Before the 49ers got their 3rd, the Redskins were often called "team of the decade" during the 80's. I don't think there will ever be a team better than the 1991 Redskins. To me, they are the GOAT team and no one comes close.

1985 was a bad year for both the Niners and 'Skins.

Washington suffered a crucial set back when Joe Thiesmann had his career ending injury. He was not having a good season prior to that incident. (These years where he would come crashing back down to earth and have mediocre production are the reason he's not in the Hall of Fame despite having 2 All Pro honors, an MVP and a SB ring on his resume)

Montana was also injured a bit in 1985 and he posted a poor TD/INT ratio. The Niners in '85 and '86 were not the same team they would be a few years later.

The next year in 1986, Washington was waiting for the Bears and beat them in Chicago. I think that is the game where Jay Schroder ripped them to pieces. No elite QB? No problem when it's an old school Joe Gibbs team with his tweaked Air Coryell offense.

The 4-6 defense had a glaring weakness for covering the deep ball. Dan Marino exposed them in that 1985 MNF game. Thankfully, they didn't have to face another elite QB with deep threat receivers. The 49ers did not have that yet, but would a few years later after drafting Jerry Rice and the 'Skins had Art Monk whom they had no answer for.

IMO Joe Gibbs was the best coach of that era and Washington's decline since Synder bought the team is simply suffering karma from it. He won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs and his teams were always stacked. Before the 49ers got their 3rd, the Redskins were often called "team of the decade" during the 80's. I don't think there will ever be a team better than the 1991 Redskins. To me, they are the GOAT team and no one comes close.

Always respect me some posts with as sharp a memory as mine ;)

The Niners indeed changed their fortunes with the drafting of Jerry Rice and John Taylor in successive drafts in '85 and '86. Without that, indeed the Bears, Skins or Giants might've laid claim to "team of the decade" for the '80s.

And maybe, just maybe, Jim Mora might've won a playoff game in N.O. as a division champion.

Always respect me some posts with as sharp a memory as mine ;)

The Niners indeed changed their fortunes with the drafting of Jerry Rice and John Taylor in successive drafts in '85 and '86. Without that, indeed the Bears, Skins or Giants might've laid claim to "team of the decade" for the '80s.

And maybe, just maybe, Jim Mora might've won a playoff game in N.O. as a division champion.

John Taylor might be the most underrated 49ers player ever. We hear about Dwight Clark, Rice, T.O. but he's often forgotten about. I remember Taylor used to burn us and give us fits. He was a crucial part of the 1994 SB team even though he was old by then and only played one more year.

That's back when the NFC East actually was the toughest division in football. Parcells' Giants, Buddy Ryan's Eagles, Gibbs' Redskins and later Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys teams. Between 1990 to 1992, that was some of the toughest divisions in NFL history and all 3 years produced a SB winner, whom's SOS ranks higher having to go through 3 other elite teams twice a year.

I used to love watching the 'Skins back in the day. It's really a shame Earnest Byner is more remembered for his fumble in Cleveland, rather than being the premier back of the 1991 'Skins and a 1,000+ yard rusher. Most people don't even seem to know he got a ring in his career.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom