I really need advice about a bad used car deal. (1 Viewer)

As mentioned, you could stoop to Craigslist "ran great last time she drove it, but we bought her a new car for Christmas and don't need this one"

Just be sure to top off the trans with lucas, that's how most of them do ya.

It looks like Ford extended warranty coverage out to 150000 miles. She had it repaired once but if she gets it repaired again she will be out of pocket due to mileage.

That's indicative to them admitting they have a problem and trying to avoid a lawsuit. It's worth bringing it to a Ford dealership and asking if there's something they can do. Who did the repairs before? Most warranty repairs have a guarantee on them.

And I know it's not what's fun to hear, but this can be a good lesson about borrowing a lot of money to buy something beyond her means at high risk. She owes more than the car would be worth in running condition with a lot less mileage. This was a bad deal even before the mechanical issues. There's something beneficial about driving a beater that at the least you own. It limits the amount of risks and liability.

That's indicative to them admitting they have a problem and trying to avoid a lawsuit. It's worth bringing it to a Ford dealership and asking if there's something they can do. Who did the repairs before? Most warranty repairs have a guarantee on them.

And I know it's not what's fun to hear, but this can be a good lesson about borrowing a lot of money to buy something beyond her means at high risk. She owes more than the car would be worth in running condition with a lot less mileage. This was a bad deal even before the mechanical issues. There's something beneficial about driving a beater that at the least you own. It limits the amount of risks and liability.
Oh I know. It gets worse though.
A little back story.
My wife and I bought her a solid used car from a friend and gave it to her on her 17th birthday.
She drove it for a year and totaled it last August. She really needed a car for college so she borrowed her mom’s car. Her family has no money ( mom on disability, step dad is a crack/meth head, and biological dad is a deadbeat former drug addict. We are trying to keep her on the right path) anyway, her mom got tired of her borrowing the car and has a friend that is a salesman at a used car dealer.
They offered her the focus and her mom rushed her into making that purchase and co-signed the loan.
I knew that much, but not all the details. I just found that the loan was for $11,500 at 28.75%!
The car was never worth that much and it looks like the dealership knew it was trouble as they wouldn’t let the girl look at any other vehicle.
They promised to fix the transmission when it was discovered to be a problem and sent her to a local Ford dealer to be repaired. It got repaired but someone at that place told her that it will break again in six months. Yep, it did.
The dealer she got it from wants nothing more to do with it and reminded her that she bought it as is.
Since we are the greatest Aunt and Uncle ever, we are just going to get her a new car. The Focus is not repairable and new or remanufactured transmissions are unavailable.
We got the local Toyota dealer to give her $2000 for the Focus (really only worth about $500) and trading in for a new Yaris.

Oh I know. It gets worse though.
A little back story.
My wife and I bought her a solid used car from a friend and gave it to her on her 17th birthday.
She drove it for a year and totaled it last August. She really needed a car for college so she borrowed her mom’s car. Her family has no money ( mom on disability, step dad is a crack/meth head, and biological dad is a deadbeat former drug addict. We are trying to keep her on the right path) anyway, her mom got tired of her borrowing the car and has a friend that is a salesman at a used car dealer.
They offered her the focus and her mom rushed her into making that purchase and co-signed the loan.
I knew that much, but not all the details. I just found that the loan was for $11,500 at 28.75%!
The car was never worth that much and it looks like the dealership knew it was trouble as they wouldn’t let the girl look at any other vehicle.
They promised to fix the transmission when it was discovered to be a problem and sent her to a local Ford dealer to be repaired. It got repaired but someone at that place told her that it will break again in six months. Yep, it did.
The dealer she got it from wants nothing more to do with it and reminded her that she bought it as is.
Since we are the greatest Aunt and Uncle ever, we are just going to get her a new car. The Focus is not repairable and new or remanufactured transmissions are unavailable.
We got the local Toyota dealer to give her $2000 for the Focus (really only worth about $500) and trading in for a new Yaris.

You are the uncle I aspire to be.

FWIW, probably could go without saying, but not all used cars are a bad idea. A year or two year old vehicle with a factory warranty still good on it can be a good deal. The risk goes up a lot once you're close to or outside the warranty period.

FWIW, probably could go without saying, but not all used cars are a bad idea. A year or two year old vehicle with a factory warranty still good on it can be a good deal. The risk goes up a lot once you're close to or outside the warranty period.
Nobody said anything about that. Perhaps you missed the part where I stated that we had given her a used car that she totaled. Her mom got her into a car that is a known piece of work, because of the transmission, and it failed. When the Ford DSP6 transmission fails, it gets repaired with faulty parts. It will fail again. This problem exists in the Focus and Fiesta. Those cars with a manual transmission are ok.
Again, nobody said all used cars are a bad idea.

Nobody said anything about that. Perhaps you missed the part where I stated that we had given her a used car that she totaled. Her mom got her into a car that is a known piece of work, because of the transmission, and it failed. When the Ford DSP6 transmission fails, it gets repaired with faulty parts. It will fail again. This problem exists in the Focus and Fiesta. Those cars with a manual transmission are ok.
Again, nobody said all used cars are a bad idea.

I actually read that a couple of days ago and forgot about that part. You can disregard my post. Dunce worthy. Lol.

And you're a better uncle than any I've ever had. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom