I Recently Lost My Earthquake Virginity. (Update: Now My Wildfire Virginity) (2 Viewers)

UndeadSnoopy

Resting in Peace
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I moved to California about three years ago. It has it's problems like any other place but I like (liked?) it here.

Thursday morning I was doing work from home (That's a lie. I was on Saints Report, but don't tell my boss.) drinking an awesome cup of coffee when my chair starts to roll away from my computer with me in it.

A couple of thoughts went through my mind. I'm dizzy and may be having a stroke. I may be having a flashback from the mushrooms I did in high school.

Then the whole place starts swaying from side to side. It didn't really scare me because it was such a surprise.

Last night was different. When it started, I immediately knew what it was and I wondered just how intense it would get.

For people that understand the reference, Steely Dan's "My Old School" started playing in my head.

I told a friend last night I have a bag packed and am considering a Vegas weekend.

This makes me kinda miss Louisiana with it's tornadoes and hurricanes.

I moved to California about three years ago. It has it's problems like any other place but I like (liked?) it here.

I lived in CA from 2001 to 2007. In that six yrs, i only ever felt an earthquake once- on my very first day in town.. i had arrived about two hours earlier, was starting to unpack my things and everything in the kitchen started shaking, dishes clanging, etc.. of course everyone fled out onto the streets of our neighborhood and got to know the neighbors real quick.. was funny to talk to a few of them, and when they’d introduce themselves and ask me how long i’d lived there, and i’d tell them literally two hours... Although there were supposedly a few minor quakes around town in the following years, i never actually felt one after that day.

Well, Vegas might not be quite far enough away...just ask the Pelicans:
Exactly. We were watching this in a bar with just subtitles. I saw that Zion had been injured and then the guy come on the court inspecting the floor and I thought, man, what kind of crappy floor were they making these guys play on. Then I realized they were talking about a 7.1 quake and thought Vegas was the epicenter and THEN realized the swinging scoreboards were actually from a quake 250 miles away. I had flashbacks to when I turned the TV on to the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake World Series to get a mid-game score update and couldn't figure out was going on.

Are there still no reported deaths? That's amazing. Though the ones in the Loma Prieta were mostly from the double decker freeway collapse,

I lived in CA from 2001 to 2007. In that six yrs, i only ever felt an earthquake once- on my very first day in town.. i had arrived about two hours earlier, was starting to unpack my things and everything in the kitchen started shaking, dishes clanging, etc.. of course everyone fled out onto the streets of our neighborhood and got to know the neighbors real quick.. was funny to talk to a few of them, and when they’d introduce themselves and ask me how long i’d lived there, and i’d tell them literally two hours... Although there were supposedly a few minor quakes around town in the following years, i never actually felt one after that day.
was posting the Knocked Up earthquake scene - then thought better of it

Are there still no reported deaths? That's amazing. Though the ones in the Loma Prieta were mostly from the double decker freeway collapse,

None that I know of. Other than Ridgecrest, the epicenter was in a sparsely populated area.

It is still kind of amazing.

If the 7.1 hit Los Angeles directly it would have been bad.

Yeah, for such a bad quake, the worst I saw, so far, was some mildly displaced roadways, a crack (bad but not enough to collapse) in a house, of course some gas main break fires, and a good bit of "clean up on aisle 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) store videos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom