I see Mike Jenkins, who wants Jenkins. (1 Viewer)

I have had a bad feeling all the way about Jenkins, even before hearing about his supposed attitude problems. But I have to accept that I haven't seen much of him.

I also know that SaintsRays knows football and have seen a lot of him. If he is happy with him at 10, that ease my feelings over him. Not my choice, but I will feel better if we pick him.

IMO he is a reach at 10, very talented but people question how into football he is

Well, he was the top CB on every mock until a month ago, so what exactly has changed to make him a reach now?

I have a feeling the mocks are going to be way off come draft day.

"Widely considered a top three talent available in the Draft, Jenkins has the size, speed and skills to become an impact player in his rookie season.

Mike Jenkins-
What more can I say about Jenkins that most scouts haven't already said? He's truly a special player, with great ball skills with speed to burn. He can be a lock down corner, and with his body type, can be very physical as well. Throughout his career at USF he has been left alone on an island and has shut down the best receivers to line up opposite him. Early in his career I thought his hands were suspect, but much of that has changed the last two seasons. I attribute that to his fantastic work ethic and dedication to consistently improving every aspect of his game. Another display of his versatile talent is when he took his first kick-off return 100 yards for a score against Cincinnati, and finished the game by setting a USF single game record with 192 kickoff return yards against the Bearcats.".

Former NFL Scout Tom Marino believes Jenkins is the best corner available in the Draft. Ranked with a "D" grade - the mark saved for players who are expected to become "Champions" at the next level. Jenkins is the rare breed of talent that comes along once in a blue moon: the Ty Law, Champ Bailey type of players who are expected to do great things in the pros for a long time.

Marino's scouting notes confirm the top draft ranking he's been given.

"A shutdown corner with adequate size and outstanding quickness. Has race horse speed, a very smooth compact [player], explosive hips and the ability to stick his foot in the ground and close [on] the ball" Mariono calls Jenkins a "special player" and a "potential lottery selection."

Marino ranks Troy's Leodis McKelvin and Kansas' Aqib Talib slightly behind Jenkins as the No. 2 and No. 3 corners available. However, neither player earns the coveted "D" grade, indicating that they'll be good players at the next level, but don't have the same level of expectation to become exceptional.

With the seventh overall selection, and the Jets or even the Rams expected to take the linebacker the Patriots want ahead of them, Jenkins could very well become the Patriots' next first round draft pick.

Scout.com: Patriots Serious About USF DBs

I like Mike Jenkins (not top 3). I want Dorsey/Ellis badly but if we stay pat the only other guy at a position of need I see available is Mike Jenkins

I think that ALL of the CBs in this draft have their warts. McKelvin can't make the INT, Talib's speed is suspect, DRC is very very raw, etc etc. Jenkins is the best all around CB. He isn't SPECTACULAR, but he is dang good at almost everything a CB needs to do. His hands aren't that much better than McKelvin, but he is a little better...

I think that ALL of the CBs in this draft have their warts. McKelvin can't make the INT, Talib's speed is suspect, DRC is very very raw, etc etc. Jenkins is the best all around CB. He isn't SPECTACULAR, but he is dang good at almost everything a CB needs to do. His hands aren't that much better than McKelvin, but he is a little better...

I will almost guarantee one will be a complete bust

I have seen many mock drafts taking Jenkins at 10. This would be a horrible. Who wants Jenkins at 10?

This is information I posted earlier last month about Mike Jenkins:

This is a quote from the Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide: " Mike Jenkins downside... Plays down to the level of competition. Has poor practice habits_finds excuses not to practice, does not understand why it's important and relies way too muich on his natural talent. He has been coddled throughtout college and expect prima donna treatment. Takes too many plays off on the field. Tends to freelance and do his own thing in part because of his lack of dicipline. Will turn down some contact and is a very selective hitter. Only hits when he feels like it. Average ball skills. Marginal hands. Tight in the hips. Does not like to participate on special teams. Lacks mental toughness."

His upside: " Has a very good size-speed ratio and can recover easily when out of position. Great closing speed. Excellent man-cover skills. Can flip his hips, stick his foot in the ground and come out of breaks fast.

Concensus: "High-risk pick".

Do you still want him as out pick?

I suppose you've watched him practice and work-out?

No, I'm sure he hasn't, but he is relying on many others that have reported this. It's a good point and has been noted on many prominent draft sites...

I actually wouldnt mind Jenkins at #10 (if we werent able to trade up for a DT)
I watched as much film that I could find of Jenkins and he would match up nicely across from McKenzie. I like how he is able to cling to WRs hips in and out of routes and he naturally reads the QBs eyes plants his back foot as the ball is being thrown, making him a possible INT machine. The word is that he doesnt like to hit, but I've seen at least 3-4 clips of him blasting through a WR. As a #2 CB, IMO he could be great with some maturity. Oh, He has a bad attitude.....most 1st round WRs and DBs do at this age.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom