I, Sniper (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is anyone watching I, Sniper on Vice?

It's about the DC Sniper shootings in 2002

The "hook" for this documentary is there is extensive commentary from Lee Malvo - the 15 year old who actually pulled the trigger

I'm not sure if chilling is the right word for his interviews. Detached may be better but there is definitely a cold matter of factness to his words

I was in the area at the time and it was scary. My office at the time wasn't far from the Home Depot in Falls Church where one of the killings occurred, been to a couple of the gas stations and I'd at least driven past where most of the others happened

I was on the road when one of the later killings occurred (don't remember which one) and traffic was shut down - it took hours just go 10 or so miles

Another hook - an interview from his ex wife - the reason he came to the DC area in the first place - I'd never heard anything from her before

It's at least 8 episodes and is by far the deepest dive on it I've seen

I'm not going to say that I have any sympathy for Malvo or feel sorry for him, I don't, but this kid didn't have a chance

"You're Wrong About" did a multiple podcast take on them

a lot of time spent on the backgrounds of both, but the major takeaway from the pods was that none of this would have happened if the police had done their duty regarding domestic violence charges (that was the tip of the iceberg of a mountain of bad policing)

Finally saw them all. It was really well done. I never knew any of the connections to killings in other states or John Allen Muhammed's connection to BR and that he's been executed already.

Twenty years ago the DC snipers -- as they were known -- terrorized the region. They killed 10 people and wounded three others before they were caught.

John Allen Muhammad was found guilty of murder and executed in 2009. His 17-year-old accomplice and trigger man, Lee Boyd Malvo, was sentenced to life without parole in Virginia and Maryland. But since then the Supreme Court ruled juveniles can’t be sentenced to life without parole and a change in Virginia law gave him a chance at parole.

Now Malvo’s lawyer is seeking the same chance at parole in Maryland. The Maryland Court of Appeals heard oral arguments on the matter Tuesday morning........

I knew that they both came to DC area to look for Muhammad's ex wife

I never knew that they found her

The motives for the shootings seemed to change

Also, interesting that they often listened to news reports/police scanner but for some reason weren't listening when they were made

Also a sexual relationship between the two of them was rumored at the time, the documentary confirms it

Like I said Malvo didn't have a chance, he was let down by people/the system before he even met Muhammad, who absolutely manipulated and corrupted malvo, but I'd vote no on parole

If Malvo had walked out of that arcade a minute before Muhammad walked in and they never met who knows what his life would have been?

He probably wouldn't have become President or a doctor, but he almost definitely wouldn't have gone around murdering people either

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Maryland’s highest court has ruled that Washington, D.C.-area sniper Lee Boyd Malvo must be resentenced, because of U.S. Supreme Court decisions relating to constitutional protections for juveniles made after Malvo was sentenced to six life sentences without the possibility of parole

In its 4-3 ruling, however, the Maryland Court of Appeals said it’s very unlikely Malvo would ever be released from custody, because he is also serving separate life sentences for murders in Virginia.

“As a practical matter, this may be an academic question in Mr. Malvo’s case, as he would first have to be granted parole in Virginia before his consecutive life sentences in Maryland even begin,” Judge Robert McDonald wrote in the majority opinion released Friday.

McDonald wrote that it’s ultimately not up to the Court of Appeals to decide the appropriate sentence for Malvo, or whether he should ever be released from his Maryland sentences.

“We hold only that the Eighth Amendment requires that he receive a new sentencing hearing at which the sentencing court, now cognizant of the principles elucidated by the Supreme Court, is able to consider whether or not he is constitutionally eligible for life without parole under those decisions,” McDonald wrote.........

Someone tell me the difference between "life without the possibility of parole" and "life x6 with no possiblity for parole"....

Good article
==========
“Call me God.”

The words were printed in blue ballpoint pen in the top margin of a card left at a murder scene 20 years ago. Not just any card: a tarot card marked with the figure of Death.

I had forgotten about the card and had lost many other details as well in the laundry of time. Time fades colors and softens sensations, leaving some memories as comfortable as old pajamas and others threadbare.

After two decades, what remained with me of the Beltway sniper attacks was the pit-of-the-stomach feeling, the stew of uncertainty, fear, anger and helplessness.

For nearly three weeks in October 2002, some person or persons haunted D.C., and nearby communities, killing people apparently at random with single shots from a .223-caliber rifle.

A man was crossing a suburban parking lot. An instant later, he was dying on the pavement. A man was cutting grass in a different community. An instant later, he was dying amid the clippings.

A man was putting gasoline in his car in yet another place. An instant later, his blood was pooling on the ground……

Another documentary on Netflix
=====================
13-year-old boy on his way to school. A young mother cleaning out her car. A landscaper mowing a garden lawn.

All randomly gunned down by the so-called DC Snipers during a 23-day reign of terror across the DC Metropolitan Area that left 10 dead and another three critically injured.

Between 2 October and 24 October 2022, 41-year-old John Allen Muhammad and his teenage accomplice Lee Boyd Malvo drove around Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia, shooting victims.

Their weapon of choice was a rifle. The method: firing bullets through a hole cut out of the trunk of their Chevy Caprice as they calmly drove by.

As perplexed investigators hunted for an unknown assailant or assailants who had no connection to any of the victims before they could claim more lives, the murderous duo taunted officers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom