I start a lot of work emails with "Hi" (1 Viewer)

"Hi Sparkle, " sounds like spam or a phishing email.

Try to start them like this, especially with your boss:

“You’re gonna wanna to sit down for this....”

And then say something completely harmless. “Dammit Paul, I asked you to stop doing that!”

:hihi:

Last edited:
I use "Hi _______!"

The "!" is what separates me from the people who don't really mean it. Seriously though, while it may seem weird, that punctuation mark almost always guarantees that I'm going to get a quick friendly response. I don't use it for strangers, but people I have a working relationship with, colleagues if you will. I make that distinction because a lot of my work is with people who aren't in a chain of command so they can get back to me when they damn well feel like it. The same goes for me as well so "the ask" that comes in emails have to be done right. Every one knows to behave collegiately or you might not get what you need as quickly as you'd like. Totally unscientifically proven, but I really do think this small addition makes the tone more friendly versus office informal. I think people respond well to it. Just a small trick.

I use "Hi _______!"

The "!" is what separates me from the people who don't really mean it. Seriously though, while it may seem weird, that punctuation mark almost always guarantees that I'm going to get a quick friendly response. I don't use it for strangers, but people I have a working relationship with, colleagues if you will. I make that distinction because a lot of my work is with people who aren't in a chain of command so they can get back to me when they damn well feel like it. The same goes for me as well so "the ask" that comes in emails have to be done right. Every one knows to behave collegiately or you might not get what you need as quickly as you'd like. Totally unscientifically proven, but I really do think this small addition makes the tone more friendly versus office informal. I think people respond well to it. Just a small trick.

I dunno. Excessive use of exclamation points can come off as possibly mildly psychotic.

Today I was sending a business email and after reading this thread, I began with "Hi, (name of person I was emailing),"

But then my boss killed the project I was working on so I deleted the draft and went about my day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom