I still hate the officials but... (1 Viewer)

SaintsNY

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The more time passes, the more disappointed I become with how the Saints allowed LA to stay in that ball game. Yes, the officials missed the more blatant of penalties but New Orleans really blew it in key situations throughout the game that allowed the Rams to stay in the game.

The Patriots held LA to 3 measly points in a venue that yes, was clearly in favor of New England but not nearly as hostile as the environment down in the Super Dome. The Rams looked like a complete mess. A deer in headlights if you will. They were not prepared to deal with the noise levels and it affected their entire offense. It still puzzles me how LA was able to compose themselves and eventually squeak out a win.

The Saints did not have a good game on offense. When they settled for the FGs, especially after the INT, I knew that they blew a big opportunity to run away with the game. The running game was bad and I blame mostly the coaching staff for continuously having Ingram and Kamara run up the middle against two All Pro DT's. When they ran a pitch outside they had better success but those plays were very few and far between. Obviously Michael Thomas had a real quiet game but I have not watched game tape to see why he was. I assume lots of double teams but this should have opened up stuff for the other receivers. Unfortunately the coach Payton knew the WR depth was lacking and tried to patch this up by signing Dez and Marshall. There just wasn't a reliable option once MT is taken away. Overall the entire offensive gameplan wasn't very good. This leads me to Brees. The heart and soul of the team.

Brees was bad this game by Drew Brees standards. He missed throws and didn't make good decisions. For someone playing in the comforts of home, I expect a refined game from one of the best passers and the most accurate QB of all time, but he wasn't quite himself on that Sunday. That one pass to Ginn that was behind him was a pass that Brees will always make, but he wasn't sharp as he completed 26 of 40 passes for 240 yards. If Drew was himself, they win that game because he would have completed an easy pass to MT after the 2 minute warning in the 4th. Something hasn't been right with him since the Dallas game. I could probably stretch it since the thanksgiving game against Atlanta. He wasn't sharp then either and then his production fell off a cliff. There's probably a correlation between his drop off and the performance of the offensive line. He lost Armstead, Ram and peat were battling injury. He also lost the back up to Armstead, Bushrod. When his line was healthy, he was the 1st half MVP. It is imperative that they fortify that OL for 2019.

More missed opportunities from that game was allowing the Rams for converting on a 4th and 5 fake punt pass. If they don't convert, NO gets amazing field position. Sean Payton should have coached his team to be more alert especially when they faked a punt in their last meeting. They missed winning it on OT. I know it should have never went to OT but unfortunately it did. They had a penalty that put them around mid field so you still had to like their chances. But penalties and an an ill-advised pass by Drew (yes, I know he was contacted on the helmet but it was still a poor decision) that was interception and the Rams capitalized. It was the theme for the game where New Orleans kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Yeah, I'm still P'Oed that the officials blatantly disregarded the rule book. I'm P'Oed that they decided to take the game away from the players. And I'm P'Oed that the NFL/Roger went silent over the no call. But, now some of that disappointment has transferred to how the Saints played throughout that game from the players to the coaches. They were beat by the officials but also beat themselves. I give a lot of credit to LA for hanging in there. Honestly, its kind of mind boggling how they did especially how they performed in the Super Bowl. The wrong team clearly won.

For some good news, majority of this team's core is returning in 2019 so the little turnover is beneficial and the outlook for this team should remain the same - a SB worthy team. But there was 2 glaring spots that need attention. WR and OL. WR lacks depth and the development of TQS was not as quick as this team so desperately needed. Kirkwood was a nice little player but what can we realistically expect from an UDFA going forward? Drew needs a target with good solid hands, who can be a reliable target once teams take away Thomas. I like Cole Beasley. He is a player that a coach like Bill Belichick could make into a serious threat in the slot. With an offensive Guru in Payton, he could do the same. OL is good and when they're healthy they're really good but there is room for improvement. They are good at LT/RT but everyone else can be upgraded. Warford and Peat are good players but Brees was facing constant pressure up the middle. TE might be a position that many of you want to see upgraded, but having a TE is a luxury not a necessity. A lot of NFL teams don't have quality TE's and the position itself has dropped off across the league. While it would be great to land the next prime Jimmy Graham/Gronkowski or Kelce, it isn't a must have. Unfortunately the Saints have 1 pick (2nd round) in the first 4 rounds so finding an impact player in the draft is pretty slim. Saints do have a nose for OL talent so its possible. FA looks to be the way to take this team another step forward. One key FA from the Saints is Ingram which I hope returns. The team has a great locker room and he's a big reason why. It would be like having Jenkins leave and that was a mistake.

Anyway, this has gone on a lot longer than I expected so the TL;DR option: I'm still upset over the blown call, but the Saints blew plenty of opportunities to win that game. Core of team is intact but needs improvement at WR and OL. Don't let Ingram go.

Has your views on the game changed at all? Or we solely in screw the NFL mode? lol

Last edited:
Well, the Pats had the advantage that the NFL couldn't allow the ref's to assist LA in that game due to scrutiny.

SaintJ did a good post about how the last 4 Saints drives were effectively spiked by the officials in that game (called the only holding call of the game, missed ANOTHER pass interference, etc.). The Saints were doing what they needed to do to win the game. The refs just wouldn't let them.

Honestly the fake punt is the one aspect of our play/preparation that really haunts me. That was a killer.

But even so we should have had the ball 1st and 10 on the 6 with 1:40 to play, no matter what.

As coach Pete said,

"To say the Saints had chances to win the game after the blown call, is not dealing with the reality of the game from that point onward. The Saints coaches and players were sure a flag was going to get thrown. There was absolute chaos on the sidelines, from SP to the players and coaches. That team was prepared for 1st and goal and yet the officials were rushing the teams to get the next play done. This is where I was pretty sure that the refs were bought.

In reality, you have a team in shock. A Team that knew with that call that they would be going to the SB. The coaches and players where not prepared to play ball after that: chaos, confusion, heart ripped out. That was not the same team who played well enough to win that game with a little over a minute left. Fans who don't understand that simply have never played college or pro ball in big games where they got hosed by the refs late in a game."

As coach Pete said,

I'm not disagreeing that. I agree with it. Saints final drive in regulation should have been capped off with another set of downs to run most of the clock. They did what they had to do that drive to get win and the refs royally screwed the team. I'm sure their collective mindset was in utter shock. It's one of those rare times where you can undoubtedly say the referees determined the the outcome of a game.

My disappointment with team are the miscues prior to the final drive in regulation. They missed a lot of chances. They definitely played well enough to win even with them missing chances, and should have. But they could have played so much better at home and that's where I'm coming from.

I'm not disagreeing that. I agree with it. Saints final drive in regulation should have been capped off with another set of downs to run most of the clock. They did what they had to do that drive to get win and the refs royally screwed the team. I'm sure their collective mindset was in utter shock. It's one of those rare times where you can undoubtedly say the referees determined the the outcome of a game.

My disappointment with team are the miscues prior to the final drive in regulation. They missed a lot of chances. They definitely played well enough to win even with them missing chances, and should have. But they could have played so much better at home and that's where I'm coming from.
They are not truly "miscues" if they were affected by the defense and nothing was called. Could we have gotten away with the same infractions? The flags that were thrown against us in probably the last 6 games are telling of that.

The Saints really missed having a pass-catching tight end and another receiver that could get open during this game and the second half of the season.

It was a close game. I'd rather it have been a blowout than a horrible missed called like that didn't matter but it was the NFCCG. It's not supposed to be a cupcake team. So I'll not fault the Saints for allowing them to "stay in the game".

Last edited:
SaintJ did a good post about how the last 4 Saints drives were effectively spiked by the officials in that game (called the only holding call of the game, missed ANOTHER pass interference, etc.). The Saints were doing what they needed to do to win the game. The refs just wouldn't let them.

The fix was in... Say whatever you want, but that happened.

It was a game-changer for me.. I'm still here, but my view of everything has changed dramatically.

We were playing one of the best 4 teams in the NFL, it's not like we should've blown them out. We shouldn't have been forced to play the Rams and the Refs

Hey NY Who Dat! You getting some really cold weather? I am not disagreeing with you and I really like the stuff you write. It's always well thought out -thx. I personally don't know and still have a lot of emotions running through me that blocks any real objectivity I would want. There were some chokes by key players on both sides. Neither team played their best game of the year. I just thought that our guys played well enough to win unless taken away by the refs......

Hey NY! I am not disagreeing with you. I an enjoying this discussion with you. imho, only - the grit and character of this team really started to show after the O-line injuries. That's when they started winning ugly games with Brees not surpassing 200 yard passing occasionally. And that team won every key game down the stretch except for the Cowgirls. I think that's how we would have beat the Pats, down in the dirt, gritty, key defensive and special team plays with Brees making a few insane 1st downs and TDs along the way

Ignoring the blown call, I knew when the Saints left over a minute on the clock the Rams were going to drive down and score. Its one reason why I wasn't thrilled about the Saints inking Dennis Allen to a new deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom