I suppose we ARE finished now? (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
About a week or so ago I read where the FO pointed out that there were still some FA signings to come; that we weren't finished. Should we expect to see any more before the draft?

Saints were trying to bring back Mare to compete with Grammatica. I don't know what type of kickers are out there but word is they would like to bring in someone to compete, maybe possibly both a vet and a rookie (draft pick or UDFA)

Saints were trying to bring back Mare to compete with Grammatica. I don't know what type of kickers are out there but word is they would like to bring in someone to compete, maybe possibly both a vet and a rookie (draft pick or UDFA)

I thought we released him outright just a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe they'll bring in one of those UDFA's to compete with Gramatica. That's how Steve Weatherford made the team...and that crucial fourth down run two years ago..

Some people who are left which might improve out team, but I doubt we get any...

C Ty Law - I know he's on the downside and he wants multiple years, but he could always move to safety in the future if he gets too slow. He could also help our young guys. He's going to the Jets or Pats.

LB Michael Boley - He's a RFA, but I wish we could of got him on the cheap somehow instead of Morgan, but now I'm guessing it's too late now.

S Oshiomogho Atogwe - We talked about our safety problems, and he's a proven starter, but I guess the coaches are happy with what we got. 8 ints last year.

DT Rod Coleman - The Falcons let Hall go, so maybe he's not done. Everybody here wants a DT in the draft and this helps fill that hole, SHORT TERM. Insurance, since T. Hollis seemed to have a problem with the coaches last year.

I think the saints will wait until they get the rft out the way. What if we bring in a guy like spikes or Laws and someone falls to us in the 2nd or third.

I thought we released him outright just a couple of weeks ago.

We did (Feb 27th), but it was more of a money issue than lack of wanting him. We wanted him back at a reduced rate to compete. However, he signed for more money that we were willing to give.

S Oshiomogho Atogwe - We talked about our safety problems, and he's a proven starter, but I guess the coaches are happy with what we got. 8 ints last year.

I'd definitely like to see that one

draft, then june 1st cuts...that should be enough.

I doubt June 1st cuts will be as important as it was in the past. This year a new rule went into effect to allow teams to cut one player early and treat it as if was a cut made after June 1st. I think some of the names that we wouldn't have seen come free until June have already been released, ex: Zach Thomas. However some teams still haven't used the privilege and we could see some cuts made in preparation for draftee signings. The Oakland Raiders, come to mind, they will have to do something to free up money, maybe they cut loose a veteran free and clear. At any rate, with the cap so high, teams taking better care to sign their own players, and this new rule, June 1st doesn't carry the impact it once did.

Not to mention the highest salary cap ever, less cuts this year for sure.

Last edited:
I read an article this morning on Rotoworld about the Saints being interested in Takeo Spikes. I say bring him in for depth, cause he can play multiple LB positions. Also read the ask Mike yesterday and Mike said Takeos' career basicly done, but he may still have a couple a years left in the tank. Who knows until he's tried.

Some people who are left which might improve out team, but I doubt we get any...

C Ty Law - I know he's on the downside and he wants multiple years, but he could always move to safety in the future if he gets too slow. He could also help our young guys. He's going to the Jets or Pats.

LB Michael Boley - He's a RFA, but I wish we could of got him on the cheap somehow instead of Morgan, but now I'm guessing it's too late now.

DT Rod Coleman - The Falcons let Hall go, so maybe he's not done. Everybody here wants a DT in the draft and this helps fill that hole, SHORT TERM. Insurance, since T. Hollis seemed to have a problem with the coaches last year.

I thought Atogwe is a RFA? :shrug:

The market is drying up for these guys... sooner or later their price tag will drop, and they'll be able to sign at a lower $$.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom