I think its arm strength is why Drew doesn't get respect (1 Viewer)

Bartyboy

60's Saints fan
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Only thing that Drew could never do was throw the ball 70 yards down field.
Does he make up for it in other ways?
Absolutely.
That is the only real argument against Drew.
It doesn't effect his effectiveness one bit. But people will bring that up.
It's like in baseball or golf.
You have some people that can hit it a mile but don't have the accuracy the shorter hitters do.
Baseball think batting for home runs vs getting a hit.
I'll take Drew all day long.

Last edited:
That's why people try to rank him lower on their all time best QB lists.

Not enough rings : Terry Bradshaw must be great
Not strong enough arm : Jeff George must be great

Nonsense

Everyone has their GOAT. I mean the popular teams have more people to say their guy is it. San Fran with Montana, Brady, Favre, Manning, Brees, pick them. That’s what makes sports fun.

Honestly though, it’s still Montana

Not a big enough market. If Brees played in Dallas or New York, the NFL would have erected a 50 ft statue of him in front of Canton

Only thing that Drew could never do was throw the ball 70 yards down field.
Does he make up for it in other ways?
Absolutely.
That is the only real argument against Drew.
It doesn't effect his effectiveness one bit. But people will bring that up.
It's like in baseball or golf.
You have some people that can hit it a mile but don't have the accuracy the shorter hitters do.
Baseball think batting for home runs vs getting a hit.
I'll take Drew all day long.

Of the media markets with pro sports teams, New Orleans is #50. This is the reason why athletes like Drew, Anthony Davis, the Dome Patrol, etc. do not get the respect they deserve. Media puts you in front of millions of people. Those millions of people talk, like, share events with the athletes they like the best. Those athletes get more endorsements, which in turn puts them in front of more people. Visibility leads to more people talking about them, hyping them, etc. You put Drew in NY, Philly, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, etc and he's the consensus GOAT.

I don't think Montana was known for having a cannon.

Of the media markets with pro sports teams, New Orleans is #50. This is the reason why athletes like Drew, Anthony Davis, the Dome Patrol, etc. do not get the respect they deserve. Media puts you in front of millions of people. Those millions of people talk, like, share events with the athletes they like the best. Those athletes get more endorsements, which in turn puts them in front of more people. Visibility leads to more people talking about them, hyping them, etc. You put Drew in NY, Philly, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, etc and he's the consensus GOAT.

Indianapolis isn't exactly a super metropolis, but it didn't stop Peyton Manning from appearing in ALL the commercials. And while the Colts name has some caché, it's mostly as the BALTIMORE Colts. Green Bay's legendary status overcomes it's 100,000 population to allow guys like Rodgers get a ton of hype.

I think some people just can't accept that the Saints, of all teams, have an all-world quarterback.

Montana couldn't throw it 70 yards either, but he's always in the discussion of greatest QB's. People in the media now just love being contrarians. Anything for a click. He's the GOAT, as far as I'm concerned, and the numbers back it up.

I don't think Montana was known for having a cannon.

Indianapolis isn't exactly a super metropolis, but it didn't stop Peyton Manning from appearing in ALL the commercials. And while the Colts name has some caché, it's mostly as the BALTIMORE Colts. Green Bay's legendary status overcomes it's 100,000 population to allow guys like Rodgers get a ton of hype.

I think some people just can't accept that the Saints, of all teams, have an all-world quarterback.

Indianapolis is still a larger market than new orleans, plus Manning had all those annual games with Brady and that east coast market to help out.

Green Bay is like Dallas. Their market is the entire US, not just Wisconsin.

Just juxtapose the hyper love that team in L.A. is getting compared to a team like the 2009 Saints, whom were doubted to the very end. I mean I have heard 0 people bring up that the seahawks just ran for nearly 200 yards on them, yet they cant shut up about the Saints defense and how it will hold them back.

Market absolutely has a lot to do with it.

Indianapolis is still a larger market than new orleans, plus Manning had all those annual games with Brady and that east coast market to help out.

Just juxtapose the hyper love that team in L.A. is getting compared to a team like the 2009 Saints, whom were doubted to the very end. I mean I have heard 0 people bring up that the seahawks just ran for nearly 200 yards on them, yet they cant shut up about the Saints defense and how it will hold them back.

Market absolutely has a lot to do with it.
Hell, just juxtapose how much hype the Rams get now compared to when they were the St. Louis Rams.

If you were to task 100 random people who know next to nothing about football to choose the GOAT QB using only a record book with no reference to what city / cities they played in, I can almost guarantee you they'll name Drew Brees as the GOAT.

If Brees played for any team besides the Saints, a tiny market with very little fan base outside of the gulf coast region, he would be on ESPN and NFLN every single day.

And on a side note, only New Orleans seems to take a large amount of sheet for basically being the epicenter of the worst natural disaster in history. You have significant portions of fanbases out there that still try to bring up Katrina as some sort of excuse to why we won, or as a crutch to blast on us. Nobody is blowing on Charlotte over Florence, nobody blasted on Miami for Andrew, etc.

You seem to have a hang up on people giving the Rams credit. Almost every post I read is something about how bad you think they are.

I compared them to the 2009 Saints, cause our defense was pretty bad at times during the year but they got it done in the end. They were ranked 25th overall in yards in 2009. One of their advantages was not giving up a ton of points in the 4th quarter. So far, the Rams have only given up 6 points in the 4th quarter all year. That is a trend stat that will be worth watching in the future if they continue to play well on defense in the 4th quarter.

Stat nitpicking can be done for any team. Our 2009 team has one of the statistical worst defenses to ever win a SB (A feat shared with the 2001 Pats and 2011 Giants). Go on any advanced stat website and look for rundowns on the 2009 Saints and it's mentioned all the time. Football Outsiders didn't even rank that defense in the top 5 that year. They had Baltimore at #1 for overall defense. Only here is there some mythology that Gregg Williams built the Dome Patrol 2.0 and they were some shut down unit that didn't give up gobs of points to mediocre teams.

Market is not everything. The Colts made the playoffs almost every single year of Peyton Manning's career. Manning retired with the highest win percentage ratio of a QB in NFL history. Hence why he is often regarded as "the best regular season QB".

Notice how people are finally criticizing Rodgers as a QB now that Green Bay looks like a mediocre team? That's just how it goes. Before Rodgers, people were quick to throw Favre under the bus when Green Bay struggled in the 2000s. Everyone seems to forget too now that Romo has retired, that we spent years making fun of him for all the interceptions he threw and the Cowboys misfortunes of missing the playoffs often with him. You could also throw Eli Manning into this mix, who has played for a big market his entire career yet that has not stopped everyone from pointing out how mediocre he has been his entire career.

It don't help for Brees or the Saints that we often have finished 7-9 during his prime. That's really what it all comes down to in the end.

There is no grand conspiracy in the media to not give Brees credit or this team. When Brees is retired, people are going to look back and wonder what went wrong with this team and why they fielded historically bad defenses during his prime. Between 2012 to 2016, he most likely would've won an MVP by now if we were making the playoffs regularly and not struggling to go 7-9 with historically bad defenses.

So I think that's a good point. But begs the question that if Drew is still triumphing over all his physical "disadvantages", shouldn't people be even MORE impressed? Like how much more accurate could he be if he was 6' 4"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom