I think Sean Payton will resign before the end of the season (edited) (1 Viewer)

CoachKen

Banned
Reaction score
You can see it coming, it's in his voice; Payton will resign.
Payton has singlehandedly ruin a good thing, and he will do the city a favor and resign.

His image/reputation is beyond repair and he knows things can't get fixed now. You have to know when to hold them and to fold them. Payton will not finish the season

Saint Brees

The Seeker
Reaction score
Fact is changes need to be made. Either Payton overhauls that entire defensive coaching staff or he goes. The way things are now is unacceptable. His defenses have been utter garbage for most of his time here. Enough is enough.

GoBnG

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This isn't college and it can't change in a season. Falcons went get Nolan and their defense still sucks. So their is me playing devils advocate for you.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're going to be disappointed. He's not resigning......the team is a work in progress and if you really expected great things this year you're the one with the problem. Not the team. We're coming off 2 seasons with the worst defense in the history of football....ever. Let that sink in a minute.....the worst EVER. You don't fix that in a year or even 2 years let alone the fact half your defensive starters are injured.

I think you and probably half this board need to take a breath and realize you're probably not really that surprised by this seasons team. I hoped for a better season but it really was just a hope.....I had no realistic thoughts they would be world beaters.

NorfolkedSaint

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're going to be disappointed. He's not resigning......the team is a work in progress and if you really expected great things this year you're the one with the problem. Not the team. We're coming off 2 seasons with the worst defense in the history of football....ever. Let that sink in a minute.....the worst EVER. You don't fix that in a year or even 2 years let alone the fact half your defensive starters are injured.

I think you and probably half this board need to take a breath and realize you're probably not really that surprised by this seasons team. I hoped for a better season but it really was just a hope.....I had no realistic thoughts they would be world beaters.
Ok what????

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jarrod74

I may be canadian but my heart is in the Big Easy
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think Aron Glenn is doing his job for what he has to work with

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You can see it coming, it's in his voice; Payton will resign.
Payton has singlehandedly ruin a good thing, and he will do the city a favor and resign.

His image/reputation is beyond repair and he knows things can't get fixed now. You have to know when to hold them and to fold them. Payton will not finish the season

I can understand where you're coming from - if the world was fairies and unicorns and everyone did things based on what they thought was right and what was good for those around them.

Sean Payton signed a $45 million, five-year contract extension in March. I don't know how the payment is structured but let's presume he's been paid one year at $9 million. If you were in Sean's shoes, would you "do the city a favor" and voluntarily give up $36 million? Just so we're clear: thirty six million dollars.

Not likely.

OP

CoachKen

Banned
Reaction score
Fact is changes need to be made. Either Payton overhauls that entire defensive coaching staff or he goes. The way things are now is unacceptable. His defenses have been utter garbage for most of his time here. Enough is enough.
He's made so many changes before and nothing has worked. He & the media can only continue to hype things up for so long. It's his time and he knows it. It happens to the best of us.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
He's not going anywhere.

Brees sets up to be here at least through 2017. Payton will want to take one more shot next year at least.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
I can understand where you're coming from - if the world was fairies and unicorns and everyone did things based on what they thought was right and what was good for those around them.

Sean Payton signed a $45 million, five-year contract extension in March. I don't know how the payment is structured but let's presume he's been paid one year at $9 million. If you were in Sean's shoes, would you "do the city a favor" and voluntarily give up $36 million? Just so we're clear: thirty six million dollars.

Not likely.
Many times NFL head-coaching contracts have offset clauses. If he goes to another team after next year or something we may recover whatever he makes from another team.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Many times NFL head-coaching contracts have offset clauses. If he goes to another team after next year or something we may recover whatever he makes from another team.
Sure - but he isn't going to just walk. Offset is for when the party is still owed compensation but gets additional compensation from another source.

If Payton just resigns, he isn't owed anything by the Saints. That's why it's a silly proposition.

Matteoma1

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I give him till the end of the 2017 season, unless the train really goes of the tracks this season and we go 0-16. I don't see him resigning from the position, just because of the new contract.

As to the comment about overhauling the staff, that just isn't going to happen. He had the chance when he fired Ryan and he didn't. Instead he doubled down on a "yes man" in Dennis allen. i honestly think the bounty gate scandal plays a bigger role in this than most people think. I think it got into his head about other people's actions effecting his own career. It shows by the coaching decisions, and personnel moves.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
No sleep, all football: How Sean Payton got his foot in the NFL door thanks to Jon Gruden Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Talks Offensive Strategy, Week 2 prep | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
ndcc Saints Nick Wright torches Sean Payton in this vid (...calls him a jerk) Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 68
Andrus Sean Payton Postgame Interview after Saints Win vs. Buccaneers | Week 1 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Drew Brees and Sean Payton's 'unbelievable journey' now entering its 15th season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Sean Payton hopes new injured reserve rules stick in future seasons Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton loves TB12 water, hates TB12 spam Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Well we will find out today what sean payto is as a hrad coacu Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 47
superchuck500 Nice new piece from Luke Johnson (Advocate) on Sean/Drew relationship Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
DerrickB Payton hasn't ruled out MT13 against the Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Payton refuses comment on Thomas injury, cites strength of special teams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saintsphere Payton on Davenport Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
Analysis What would you whisper in Payton's ear after week 1 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 70
Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
Payton seamed to be caught off guard by no fans for game 3 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Payton talks in-game adjustments versus new-look Bucs, injured reserve rules, young talents Harris and Roach Saints RSS News Feeds 0