I think Something is not right with Alvin Kamara . (1 Viewer)

I think that his explosion has improved over the past two weeks. We’ve seen him accelerate for long gains, but again, they weren’t highly contested runs. What makes Kamara great is his ability to slip tackles and his receiving ability. I’m not incredibly concerned with his receiving because he has seen two matchups the past two weeks. But he doesn’t break tackles...that’s the biggest issue.

I agree with what you said here. The difference seems to be his ability to slip tackles has diminished a bit. I have to think some of that is lingering lower-body injuries...

But I'll also add, and I hope to not get flamed for this... but I think that in many ways, Kamara has been "figured out" by defensive coordinators. Not saying they have the book on him -- just that the way defenses are attacking him has changed the past two years.

Kamara' strength has always been his otherworldly balance and center of gravity. Defenders would attempt to hit him between the waist and shoulders and he'd just bounce off or spin away for additional yardage. Watch how the majority of defenders engage him now...it seems like they are hitting him at the waist and sliding down to his legs and rolling or just diving at his lower legs. This actually knocks him off-balance and disrupts his effectiveness in traffic. It also makes him more susceptible to lower leg injury -- which he's sustained 2 thus far this season.

So I think we are seeing, possibly, the culmination of a few factors --
1. existing injury limiting his effectiveness
2. tentativeness due to existing injury and/or possible concern for re-injury
3. difficulty in adjusting to how he's being engaged by defenders

There is something wrong with his body language. Whether he's nicked up or SP is just saving him for the later games I have no idea. But, you can tell something is just not right with the situation.

Currently, this year, the Saints pass the ball an average of 36 times and run the ball 23 per game. We all know that SP will pass first and almost abandon the run if behind in the score

I would like to see the running of the ball increase going into the playoffs. Kamara and Murray if healthy can be effective and keep DB from trying to pass the team to victory all of the time.

While I agree that he hasn't quite looked the same, I would say that running out of bounds a little early is not new. And I'm totally fine with it. If you get the first down, do not risk an injury or a fumble trying to gain 1 or 2 more yards.

Not running out of bounds and trying to gain 1 or 2 more yards after picking up the first down is one of the most macho, illogical, backward things in football. How many times have we seen guys get destroyed trying to pick up an extra yard when they were surrounded by defenders? Sure, it's looks cool when a back stays in bounds and runs over a few defender gaining an extra yard but come on, the risk vs reward for that extra yard just isn't there.

Backs like Leonard Fournette who look for contact instead of going out of bounds stay hurt. Fournette is a tough, macho runner but at what cost?

There is something wrong with his body language. Whether he's nicked up or SP is just saving him for the later games I have no idea. But, you can tell something is just not right with the situation.

Currently, this year, the Saints pass the ball an average of 36 times and run the ball 23 per game. We all know that SP will pass first and almost abandon the run if behind in the score

I would like to see the running of the ball increase going into the playoffs. Kamara and Murray if healthy can be effective and keep DB from trying to pass the team to victory all of the time.

The body language could be as simple as him not being happy with his lack of production. I remember tearing my hamstring in high school. I still loved to play baseball and wanted to be around my team, but it’s depressing getting back and not being able to do the things you once did. Brees has been frustrated with Kamara a few times, so maybe there’s more to it than that, but I think it’s too soon to say. And honestly, I wouldn’t use the 49ers game as the measuring stick...they have a top 5 defense. But I’d like to see something in the next two weeks. Give us a few broken tackles or something.

Not running out of bounds and trying to gain 1 or 2 more yards after picking up the first down is one of the most macho, illogical, backward things in football. How many times have we seen guys get destroyed trying to pick up an extra yard when they were surrounded by defenders? Sure, it's looks cool when a back stays in bounds and runs over a few defender gaining an extra yard but come on, the risk vs reward for that extra yard just isn't there.

Backs like Leonard Fournette who look for contact instead of going out of bounds stay hurt. Fournette is a tough, macho runner but at what cost?

Kamara use to slip through tackles. If it was a boundary play and it was 1-on-1, Kamara almost always won that play to get a first down. I don’t think he tried now because I don’t think he thinks he can slip that tackle anymore (which has very good evidence since his injury).

Kamara use to slip through tackles. If it was a boundary play and it was 1-on-1, Kamara almost always won that play to get a first down. I don’t think he tried now because I don’t think he thinks he can slip that tackle anymore (which has very good evidence since his injury).

I'm talking about players in general intentionally seeking contact instead of stepping out of bounds. But yeah, there's no doubt AK isn't winning his 1 on 1s like he usually does.

Its not often I turn off a Saints podcast but I had to on this topic yesterday. The All Saints Considered podcast brought up this topic then went on and on about "Maybe he misses Mark Ingram? Maybe he just misses his friend and he's sad" or something reallllllly dumb like that.

Here's what's actually up, imo:

• He's recovering from an injury that takes a while to fully heal.
  • He's played the last few games against teams that have tape on him.
  • We've been playing with a lead/control of the game
  • No reason to risk injury when we're #1/#2 seed and already have division locked up
He'll be fine. I'm hoping for a "statement game" like we have nearly every year. One year it was against the Cowboys where we scored at will. One year it was against the Patriots and Brady was benched because they knew their efforts were futile. I think this is our statement game this year and Kamara & Crew light it up vs the vaunted 9ers Defense. WhoDat?!?

Its not often I turn off a Saints podcast but I had to on this topic yesterday. The All Saints Considered podcast brought up this topic then went on and on about "Maybe he misses Mark Ingram? Maybe he just misses his friend and he's sad" or something reallllllly dumb like that.

Yeah I think it's a little far fetched to think that a grown man would be so sad about his friend not being around that it would change his game. Being sad doesn't rob a player from having his burst.

I think we're seeing a 75% AK. He's still good but right now he isn't the game changer that he's been.

Kamara is sad because he misses his bestie and now he can't play like he used to???

hahahaha. this is frickin Hilarious.

Dude was balling out, slipping tackles, making guys miss.

Dude got hurt.

Dude can no longer slip tackles like he could before the injury.

Deduction? He misses his friend and is too sad to play football for millions of dollars. Makes sense.

Just made my way back to this thread.

Was it ever announced what kind of knee injury Kamara had? My mind keeps going back to the ankle injury because of personal experience with a high ankle sprain - it's not just in ouchie. But I don't remember (or missed) what was said about his knee, other than "he has a knee". So, I am now wondering about that knee injury. I know we are all speculating, guessing, and arm chair doctoring (that's me), but most of us are seeing the injury as the demarcation line.

Personally, I think there is a lingering physical aspect affecting his play. Or it could be he is wary of being injured again, especially if he has never been injured like this before. I do not believe he is pouting because MI left. I'm sure he misses his friend, but I find it very difficult to believe that would completely dampen Kamara's shear, exuberant love of playing football. So, my armchair speculation is that he has a lingering injury that he is playing through, but doesn't allow him to play at his full capacity. But, as I said in my last post, that is JMHO and I could be wrong.

PS - to those that quoted my last post asking why Coach isn't using Murray, I wholeheartedly agree with you all! Murray should be out there every game regardless of Kamara's status.

i saw brees fussing at him a couple of times during the game
I noticed that too. I think Kamara is back "to his old self" ... when he was playing at college ... creating some negative vibes internally. He looks unhappy about something. But his 5,5 yds average in last game was pretty good

Guess I was right Dam something up with him

Guess I was right Dam something up with him
I've been in his corner fighting in his defense that it was the injury, it was this or that. Today it was evident. I don't think it's an injury at all. Teams are taking him out of the game plan. Smart. It eliminates one of our weapons. I'm just surprised more teams haven't bracketed MT yet. If they figure out how to take both of them away it will absolutely limit our effectiveness.

I've been in his corner fighting in his defense that it was the injury, it was this or that. Today it was evident. I don't think it's an injury at all. Teams are taking him out of the game plan. Smart. It eliminates one of our weapons. I'm just surprised more teams haven't bracketed MT yet. If they figure out how to take both of them away it will absolutely limit our effectiveness.
Our offense scored 46 points. If Payton doesn't decide to get cute, it's probably 48. I think the REAL problem was our defense.

But AK is STILL off. There's no question to me, he's off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom