I think the offense line was caught in a really bad spot when losing all its coaches. Winston & Oline weren't ready to just figure it out on their own (1 Viewer)

Ruiz is/was an All American Center (GO BLUE!!) and the center quarterback exchange did not miss a beat once he took over. Winston (and I posted an article proving this) said himself he made mistakes calling out blitzes. I am no Winston hater but you guys have to stop with these excuses because Winston would not be here if he was everything people on here are making him out to be now that he is with the Saints no he's above reproach but Ruiz can be singled out? Payton's playcalling can be singled out? the receivers play can be singled out? but don't say anything bad about Winston?
The first two offsides penalties were because of a slow snap. There's a lot of blame to spread around Winston, Peat, Throckmorton, Trautman and Ruiz.
I'd say Ruiz missed many beats but so did the rest of the offense

Ruiz is/was an All American Center (GO BLUE!!) and the center quarterback exchange did not miss a beat once he took over. Winston (and I posted an article proving this) said himself he made mistakes calling out blitzes. I am no Winston hater but you guys have to stop with these excuses because Winston would not be here if he was everything people on here are making him out to be now that he is with the Saints no he's above reproach but Ruiz can be singled out? Payton's playcalling can be singled out? the receivers play can be singled out? but don't say anything bad about Winston?

The first two offsides penalties were because of a slow snap. There's a lot of blame to spread around Winston, Peat, Throckmorton, Trautman and Ruiz.
I'd say Ruiz missed many beats but so did the rest of the offense

I think he's talking people try to calm down gross overreaction of Winston like it's valid objective analysis.

At the end of day... We all know Winston and offense as a whole had a bad day. It's just really hard to have a civil conversation about Winston with some people wanting him to fail. He refuses to see that no one is defending Winston, but his bad game didn't overshadowed anyone else's. They were all in the same ballpark of bad. Trying to find objective reasoning for what happened isn't making excuses. It's try to analyze what went wrong.

Trying to pin protection calls on Winston is dumbest thing I've ever heard. Another example of terrible post game overreaction that's not even worth talking about at all.

Blockers still got to block. And when we had the right protection. Blocks where blown.

It's a team sport... Unless he'd throwing away completely winnable game with unacceptable turnovers by his own decisions and his decision only... Then, he is a problem. His 30 int season... He threw atleast 12 of them not under pressure with no open read to understand.

This is clearly wasn't the case. Winston has shown progress and development. When you get hit a bunch of times. You get rattled and regress. It's part of the process.

They had a bad offensive game with multiple failures at different levels. All in all... If the circumstances was gonna hand us an egg. This is palpable one and objectively fixable. Winston isn't a finished product. He's gonna have a bad game. It's the question is how many bad games he has.. In my opinion... He can only have 4-5 more in my book.

Last edited:
I'm not here for excuses but I think Payton's process is to bring QBs along slowly and none of us know at what point Drew was basically running the offense. This was a perfect storm and I have never seen the offense look so bad.
Been a fan since 87 or so. I have seen the offense look far, far worse.

Been a fan since 87 or so. I have seen the offense look far, far worse.
I was selling "Dove" bars in the dome back then and my only concern was getting my complimentary vendor pass to get free Domino's pizza :cool:

I mean any OL would struggle when the defense rushes 13 every play. Or at least that's what it felt like watching the game.

They didn't make line calls in game two of either of their runs.

Teddy second game was Dallas. Hill second game was Denver.

The offense kind of sucked all three of their second game.

Teddy's coming out party was against Tampa in week 3, tho. He took over that game.

It takes time, but situation is absurd.

We lose our starting center on the 1st drive of week one with a new QB.

We move our starting guard who had 3 reps at center in the past year, because our back up center is on IR

Then... We lose our entire offensive support staff.

I wish I could just say... Yeah... Winston just sucking it up, but that's not a fair assessment at all. He didn't blow a game. It was already lost. He wasn't throwing pick sixs with the game on the line. He threw two picks down 17 at the end of a half and 19 points in garbage time.

This is such an unheard circumstance.
Cant help but feel for Cesar Ruiz.

He gets drafted as a C outta college.

The “vision” was to have him play C here n move McCoy to RG.

COVID, along with him being injured in a shortened TC, scrapped those plans.

So baptism by fire, as he’s moved to the starting RG spot.

Is told he will be strictly playing at RG during the offseason. Works hard to improve at THAT position.

McCoy has long been assigned to take over line call duties this season, with Clapp as his backup, who likely would have the very same responsibilities.

Season opener, McCoy goes down, and Clapp is already out injured.

So Ruiz, now the 3rd string C, has to move BACK to C.

And with dat, another baptism by fire!

The good news is that this time, hopefully, the move is only temporary. Both McCoy n Clapp should be back in a few weeks. Meanwhile, the team has signed former KC veteran C Austin Reiter. It may have been done simply to add depth. But the guy has experience, so we’ll see.

Cant help but feel for Cesar Ruiz.

He gets drafted as a C outta college.

The “vision” was to have him play C here n move McCoy to RG.

COVID, along with him being injured in a shortened TC, scrapped those plans.

So baptism by fire, as he’s moved to the starting RG spot.

Is told he will be strictly playing at RG during the offseason. Works hard to improve at THAT position.

McCoy has long been assigned to take over line call duties this season, with Clapp as his backup, who likely would have the very same responsibilities.

Season opener, McCoy goes down, and Clapp is already out injured.

So Ruiz, now the 3rd string C, has to move BACK to C.

And with dat, another baptism by fire!

The good news is that this time, hopefully, the move is only temporary. Both McCoy n Clapp should be back in a few weeks. Meanwhile, the team has signed former KC veteran C Austin Reiter. It may have been done simply to add depth. But the guy has experience, so we’ll see.
I'm like 75% sure Austin is going to be starting Sunday. We ain't going let Beli just be Gap A sitter and win with minimal effort.

I'm like 75% sure Austin is going to be starting Sunday. We ain't going let Beli just be Gap A sitter and win with minimal effort.
Yeah, I hope he starts. I’ve long been a big fan of good O line play. You gotta have talent, but the big keys are the chemistry n continuity.

Austin’s only been here about a week, so he’s gonna have to get up to speed with the playbook, n his new O line n QB….pdq! 😂

The good news is that he’s a proven, experienced, starting NFL C. And seems like he’s a well known n good one too! When I looked up on him, there were articles on him from like about 4-5 different NFL cities, calling for their team to sign him!

Again, it’s about how quickly he can get up to speed. Knowing the Saints, they probably felt they run many of the same blocking schemes that Reiter ran in KC, jus different terminology. Moreover, we’ll have our coaches back to help him, as well as the rest of the O line!

Should he start, the BIG question is, will he be ready n able make the O line calls?

Fingers crossed! 🤞🏽 🤞🏽🤞🏽

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom