I think the saints were getting stale the last 2 years with some fans (1 Viewer)

ChopperSaint

Official gum of champions
Reaction score
I think today Is the busiest this board has been after a saints game in about 2 years.

Let’s face it the saints were starting to get boring to watch . Not that the product was not good . The product was damn good but it was the same and it was predictable .

And in the back of your mind you would always get small reminders that there was an invisible ceiling to the saints success that did not quite reach up to super contender. I think the rams game was the last time the saints were still good enough .

But this team(although the floor is also lower ) has a chance to do something special and it’s exciting .

With all of that being said I don’t want to fall into the trap of dissing Brees for the last 3 years .

He is by far the best player to ever put on a saints uniform but it was clearly time and I think in the back of our minds we all knew this .

Sean Payton has the chance to put his stamp on being known as one of the top 5 coaches of all time .

I can’t think of a single coach who had 2 long tenures with 2 different QBs to win a super bowl

Of course he has not pulled this off yet and he may never pull that off but if he does he will be rightly known as a top 3 coach of all time

The guy that I can think of off the top of my head that came the closest was Mike Holmgren with Favre and Hasselbeck, but of course the Hawks couldn’t quite beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XL.

Really, I noticed when we lost a games that past few season, which was just a few, this board brings out the worst and the unknown.

A lot of us knew the team had peaked but we had to give Drew the respect he deserved. This is new and exciting but it's just one game, so I'll try and stay grounded.

I kind of had the same feeling going into this season as I did in '06. A lot of new pieces on the team and not knowing what to expect. This was obviously a much more dominating performance than the '06 opener. It's just one game but has me excited about seeing where this team can go.

I disagree. I think the excitement was we don’t know what to expect this year. We played great today and looked great but we should also temper expectations. It was the first game. The Packers D looked awful and Rodgers looked old or has either quit until next year. Let’s get through the first quarter of the season. With beating the packers we should be 5-0 after the first 5 games if we are a super bowl contender. Washington is the only questionable game

Last edited:
I kind of had the same feeling going into this season as I did in '06. A lot of new pieces on the team and not knowing what to expect. This was obviously a much more dominating performance than the '06 opener. It's just one game but has me excited about seeing where this team can go.
The 2006 season was way different. Coming off a hurricane season, and a lot of players gone and new coaches and players coming in, that was an unknown year.

The only major difference with this team from last year was Drew Brees.

Speaking for myself here but after the No Call it felt like the wind went out of my sails. It felt like that was the end of an era and the next two years was just going through the motions. Brees should have gone out on a championship run like Manning but it didn’t happen.

Now this a new chapter. I don’t know what to expect. Today was honestly stunning. I’m a Winston fan going back to his days as a Seminole and I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play better. The defense is a force. They’re so fun to watch. So yes I think new beginnings are always exciting. I love how this team is showing up.

For me……and I only speak for myself…..our offense got too stale for my liking. Despite winning, that dump off after dump off was just not enough to excite me. It got to a point where I was more engaged when the defense was on the field or when Taysom would come in and truck someone. Hopefully what we did today continues bc it brought back that inner giddiness that I’ve been missing

Drew seems to be dissing himself. He knew his limitations. Had we won the super bowl in 2018, he probably would have retired then. Everything I read and hear says that game pushed him to try and stay past his time.

The best analogy I can make is for the last two years the Saints were the equivalent of an NBA team in this age trying to play without shooting the 3 point shot.

Without the QB being able to use his legs or being able to hit deep shots, you have to be “perfect”. We came really close to that but I think found out it’s an impossibility. I think this year will be quite fun, but assuming Winston plays at a top 12-15 QB I think the Superbowl window opens next year when the cap goes up and we’re not in hell and Jamies is in year 2 of this offense.

I agree with the “stale” comment and that not lending itself to board activity.

I think today Is the busiest this board has been after a saints game in about 2 years.

Let’s face it the saints were starting to get boring to watch . Not that the product was not good . The product was damn good but it was the same and it was predictable .

And in the back of your mind you would always get small reminders that there was an invisible ceiling to the saints success that did not quite reach up to super contender. I think the rams game was the last time the saints were still good enough .

But this team(although the floor is also lower ) has a chance to do something special and it’s exciting .

With all of that being said I don’t want to fall into the trap of dissing Brees for the last 3 years .

He is by far the best player to ever put on a saints uniform but it was clearly time and I think in the back of our minds we all knew this .

Sean Payton has the chance to put his stamp on being known as one of the top 5 coaches of all time .

I can’t think of a single coach who had 2 long tenures with 2 different QBs to win a super bowl

Of course he has not pulled this off yet and he may never pull that off but if he does he will be rightly known as a top 3 coach of all time
There were definite limitations to Brees’ game last couple of seasons. They had to use a formula to stay in contention. If not boring it certainly limited explosive/game changing plays from the offense.

They did what the had to do work inside what Brees could still do and give him a last shot at another ring, which he had earned.

Last edited:
The past 3 to 4 years were some of the most exciting seasons I've watched, personally, outside of 09-11. It's just that they kept ending in major letdowns. From botched calls to miracles and shooting ourselves in the foot, it was just heartbreak after heartbreak. I never thought it was impossible to win another title. We got so freaking close. This was one of the most awesome openers we've seen, but it's still one game at a time. This board will change tone quickly if next week doesn't work out the same. Let's just enjoy the good moments.

I disagree. I think the excitement was we don’t know what to expect this year. We played great today and looked great but we should also temper expectations. It was the first game. The Packers D looked awful and Rodgers looked old or has either quit until next year. Let’s get through the first quarter of the season. With beating the packers we should be 5-0 after the first 5 games if we are a super bowl contender. Washington is the only questionable game
I strongly agree with this. It would be foolish to read more into this victory, as sweet as it was, as other lesser teams that defeated us in the past. There are some sorry, sorry teams that beat us that defined neither theirs nor our seasons.

It is very possible that, at this stage in the season, the Packers are an extremely poor team, and that we are not yet world beaters.

Lets see how we do next week before we start purchasing our SB tickets.

Holy moly, what a great, satisfying win though. WHO DAT!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom