I think we/they are approaching fixing this defense (1 Viewer)

Bozzhawg318

All-Pro
Reaction score
I live in Las Vegas but was born and raised in Bos
I think if we get some actually athletes on the front 7 our DB woes would be solved. I get so tired of our DLs playing patty cake with the opposing teams OL play in play out while the QB has virtually all day to go thru his progressions.

Either find someone on the roster who can shed blocks or pick up the most athletic DL on the market that can disrupt some plays.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
I think if we get some actually athletes on the front 7 our DB woes would be solved. I get so tired of our DLs playing patty cake with the opposing teams OL play in play out while the QB has virtually all day to go thru his progressions.

Either find someone on the roster who can shed blocks or pick up the most athletic DL on the market that can disrupt some plays.
Standing straight up at the snap has been a staple of our DL for years.

Maybe there is a scheme-related reason we seem to do that, I dunno.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

We did that in the draft and he broke his leg in camp. Let's see how he works out when he comes back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsfan4210

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Comes down to terrible position coaching and extreme lack of talent. We won't have a pass rush till defensive coaches are fired and we bring in.someone who knows what they're doing

LoE

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is a combination of both and injuries . We need top end talent and a pass rusher
How's Noah Spence been doing over in Buckland? Might have been a good fit, if we could've traded down.

Nah, what's it matter, it's history.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts...
We'd all have a Merry Christmas.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I still can't believe that after all this time playing football John Jenkins still has not grasped the concept of "low man wins."

Or is it just me?

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score

Could just be me.....but I'm seeing a disconnect between your thread title and the content of your post.

The thread title reads:
I think we/they are approaching fixing this defense

But then your post is all like "if X, then Y". What is your actual reasoning for "thinking" there is an attempt to fix the defense? Not saying I disagree, just saying I'd like to see some reasons, based on the thread title....

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Comes down to terrible position coaching and extreme lack of talent. We won't have a pass rush till defensive coaches are fired and we bring in.someone who knows what they're doing
I'm guessing, but I think a DL that can beat his man 1 time out of 3 is very rare these days. OL have got so big and so well coached they're hard to beat.

I'll bet in most drafts there are only 1, 2, or 3 DL that can do it in the NFL.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Kikaha-injured

Rankins-injured

Don't act like they haven't done anything. They tried to fix it with high draft picks but both of those players are unavailable.

Ti Rider

Me Worry?
Reaction score
We just acquired a pass rusher in Kruger. Everyone is over blowing things after one game.
Kruger played Sunday...a lot. He got zero pressure and easily handle by the Raiders OT. The rest of the DL well.......Carr had all day to throw. Like others here I think our young DBs held up well for three quarters and then Breaux got hurt. Asking these guys to cover top flight NFL receivers for 5-10 seconds is ridiculous (about the same as asking a rookie kicker to kick a 50 and 61 yarder in his first game). Aaron Glenn has the CBs playing well and they would look terrific if they weren't spending so long in coverage.

The other thing I saw on Sunday was the Raiders quickly diagnosing and handling the Dennis Allen's blitz packages. It's one thing if your front four can't get to the QB but when you send five or six and still don't get to the QB you tend to give up big plays (which they did). You could see Allen's blitzes coming a mile off (my brother and I started calling who was coming pre snap and from where. If it had been a drinking game we'd have been dead of alcohol poisoning by the third quarter).

Until this team consistently pressures the opposing QB then they will consistently lose high scoring games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Consiglieri Football season: chance of happening is approaching 100% Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 11
Dan in Lafayette C.J. Gardner-Johnson on Raiders Offense, Saints Run Defense | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Is this the best combined Saints defense/special teams/kicking units of all time? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Cincy Saint Film breakdown - Saints defense takes away the middle from Brady and the Bucs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Mississippi Saints Fan So excited about the defense this year. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: Saints defense faces tough test in Josh Jacobs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Defense at Raiders Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Film Study: How Saints rushing offense lines up vs. Raiders rushing defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints keeping it (under) 100... Everything you need to know about the defense's 44-game streak Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Andrus Saints Offense at Raiders Defense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Second look: How the Saints went small on defense to defeat the Buccaneers Saints RSS News Feeds 1
ktmoze Saints Offense vs. Raiders Defense Preview - Week 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Dan in Lafayette 2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad, Pt. 1 SR News Page Articles 0
ktmoze 2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Andrus Saints defense & special teams keep offense in the game to beat Bucs 34–23 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints can rely on consistent, balanced defense in title quest Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Shout out to the Defense!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Defense shines in spots as Saints top Buccaneers in near-silent Superdome Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: New look Bucs rushing attack takes on stout Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
3 bold predictions for the Saints defense in 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2021 NFL Draft names Saints fans need to know that won’t play this fall: Defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints defense will have to adjust to the new “normal” in the Dome without screaming fans Saints RSS News Feeds 0