I visited Gatemouth Brown's grave in Orange, TX today (1 Viewer)

Broadmoor74

Yeah you rite
Reaction score
Louisiana...the greatest 3rd world country in the
and I was saddened. I had gone to his funeral after Katrina and two and a half years later, I was in Orange and decided to pay my respects. The graveyard he is buried in is a modest one of mostly poorer blacks right off hwy 90 among some juke bars. I couldn't find his grave for a half an hour. Finally I saw his.... . And boy was I saddened. No headstone. Just a small plastic marker stuck in the ground that reads 'Clarence Gatemouth Brown - 1982 Grammy Winner - 1924--2005.'

Here was a man who was a musical genius, admired equally by blues nuts, jazz nazis, and rednecks alike. Influenced all of Texas guitar that came after him. And no headstone. His management and family have been hassling over his estate since his death.....

Music legend's children argue over his modest estate - Breaking News Updates New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

...yet he has been ignored. Only three jars of unopened grape jelly (his favorite condiment) distinguished his grave from the others (other than the lack of a respectable headstone).

It would break his heart that he's so forgotten today.

Man, now I'm bummed too. Gatemouth deserves a lot more. I was fortunate enough to see him many times over the years ... the last time he actually was on oxygen some of the time. It was surreal when he died like he did right after Katrina (and before Rita, which would have done him in for sure since he lived in Orange).

And you're right, it would break his heart. I know it does mine.

Broadmoor, quite disturbing, but not entirely unexpected with re: to his estate issues. Find out what the cost would be for something NICE. I'm gonna talk to Krown and we can definitely put together some benefits to right this wrong. Couple thousand bucks should do it I think. PM me if you don't want to discuss any of this in public or we can chat it out for all to see.

Trust me though, Gate is hardly forgotten in my circles. I might even light a bowl with some cherry tobacco in his honor and stink up the whole **** joint.:ezbill:

Me and Gate at Banks St. appx. March '05. Pic cracks me up cuz it looks like I photoshopped myself int the pic.

Attachments

• Gate.jpg
    Gate.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
I was tellin Broadmoor i got one for my brother for 300.00 dollars . I ordered it from a place in Florida

There was a local movement here in Queens to get Scott Joplin a better headstone. Right now, which sounds to be better than Brown's, it's just a small plaque.

Joplin_grave.jpg

Gatemouth was great and he deserves better. Maybe us SR folk can pitch in enough.

Man that is sad.

I remember working late shift (11PM-7AM) at Exxon on Bert Kouns/Hwy1 in Shreveport in early 80's when a tour bus pulled up for a pit stop.

Sure enough, Gatemouth Brown and Company. He was a super nice guy. Was a very cool night!

I'll chip in on a headstone

i think that if more people knew this it would be simple to get some funds raised for a good headstone for gatemouth. a benefit atbanks st or somewhere would easily pay for it. i'd be happy to help out.

Very rare video of Gate backing Lou Rawls on The Beat!!! in the '60's
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLUlwTKmuCA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YLUlwTKmuCA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom