I visited Gatemouth Brown's grave in Orange, TX today (1 Viewer)

I own both of these DVDs ... they're highly recommended.

Attachments

• Gatemouth.jpg
    Gatemouth.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Gatemouthtoo.jpg
    Gatemouthtoo.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 103
ok, i've effed around with this long enough. I'm ready to act. Irayblu you know some quotes? (Sorry about your situation btw). I can put up $100 right now. Anyone else in for a real committment? Either post here or PM me.

Most assuredly. I'll put up some cash and I'm sure my gf will too. The dude deserves that atleast.

Broadmoor, I spoke with Joe and this is definitely something we can do, but it will need to be after Jazz Fest. Probably can put together something at the Leaf with a few different bands and maybe even get other guys from Gates Express. Once Fest is over we'll talk more about details/ideas. It's definitely a sensitive subject so I'm not gonna be pushy. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks....

Broadmoor, I spoke with Joe and this is definitely something we can do, but it will need to be after Jazz Fest. Probably can put together something at the Leaf with a few different bands and maybe even get other guys from Gates Express. Once Fest is over we'll talk more about details/ideas. It's definitely a sensitive subject so I'm not gonna be pushy. If you have any ideas, let me know. Thanks....

If we could pull off "Gatestock," that would be the bomb. And for a great cause.

and I was saddened. I had gone to his funeral after Katrina and two and a half years later, I was in Orange and decided to pay my respects. The graveyard he is buried in is a modest one of mostly poorer blacks right off hwy 90 among some juke bars. I couldn't find his grave for a half an hour. Finally I saw his.... . And boy was I saddened. No headstone. Just a small plastic marker stuck in the ground that reads 'Clarence Gatemouth Brown - 1982 Grammy Winner - 1924--2005.'

Here was a man who was a musical genius, admired equally by blues nuts, jazz nazis, and rednecks alike. Influenced all of Texas guitar that came after him. And no headstone. His management and family have been hassling over his estate since his death.....

Music legend's children argue over his modest estate - Breaking News Updates New Orleans - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

...yet he has been ignored. Only three jars of unopened grape jelly (his favorite condiment) distinguished his grave from the others (other than the lack of a respectable headstone).

It would break his heart that he's so forgotten today.

He has not been ignored or forgotten. Please do not confuse the lack of tabloid trash and a gravestone with being ignored and forgotten.

Man, thanks for bringing attention to this. I love Gate's music and didn't know about it. How freakin' sad. Have to wonder why the blues community hasn't rallied on this.

So I was just looking more into it, and found out there's an account set-up at a credit union in Orange where people can donate toward a grave marker. An Orange guy named Dr. Robert Finch is organizing. Here's some info:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/25656994.html

Also here's contact info for Sabine Federal Credit Union. I can't call them at the moment but if I learn more I'll post it.

http://www.sabinefcu.org/contact.asp

http://houstonist.com/2008/08/01/clarence_gatemouth_brown.php

From the linked article:
To remedy this situation, please make a donation to honor a local music legend and Grammy winner (1982) with a marker befitting him, here's how: Send a check or money order to:
Gatemouth Brown Memorial Committee
Sabine Federal Credit Union
P. O. Box 3000
Orange, Texas 7631-3000
acct 1892149
mark checks "Gatemouth Brown Memorial Committee Acct #1892149." in the memo, please

http://www.kplctv.com/global/story.asp?s=9012141

"ORANGE, Texas (AP) - Hurricane Katrina chased bluesman Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown from his adopted home in New Orleans -- to the Texas Gulf coast.

Brown died in exile in Orange, where he grew up.

Now another hurricane has disturbed his rest.

The 1982 Grammy Award winner's casket was 1 of dozens belched up by the ground when Gulf and rain from Hurricane Ike flooded Hollywood Cemetery."

http://www.kplctv.com/global/story.asp?s=9012141

"ORANGE, Texas (AP) - Hurricane Katrina chased bluesman Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown from his adopted home in New Orleans -- to the Texas Gulf coast.

Brown died in exile in Orange, where he grew up.

Now another hurricane has disturbed his rest.

The 1982 Grammy Award winner's casket was 1 of dozens belched up by the ground when Gulf and rain from Hurricane Ike flooded Hollywood Cemetery."

Disturbing.

But something doesn't sound quite right. The casket was taken away, but the three jars of grape jelly remained near the grave???????

Broadmoor74,

I thought you'd want to know ...

'Gatemouth' Brown recognized with state historical marker

In one of his famous songs, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown croons that he was born in Louisiana and raised on the Texas side, and that makes him a dual citizen.
That might be true, but it's Texas that's giving the famous musician an official state historical commission marker.
The marker - a plaque bearing a brief biography of Brown's life - will be dedicated Saturday near Brown's grave at Hollywood Cemetery in Orange, the town where Brown was raised, learned and honed his craft and then died 81 years later.
The dedication ceremony begins at 9 a.m.

A pretty sweet tombstone has been erected...

Attachments

• 11725320_132409460785.jpg
    11725320_132409460785.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 5

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom