I want a young creative Defensive coordinator (1 Viewer)

I just question Romeo's creativity , I want a young Rex Ryan, Maybe Man Genius would help if they got him and Romeo, but love a young up and comer

You'll get whatever and whomever Coach Sean Payton WANTS!! (and THAT's the END of THAT!) And then we'll all be fine with it because of all the great points made by everyone who has written here, Coach Payton has already vomitted over it about 16 times this season and KNOWS what he needs and WHO he needs already! At least I'm pretty certain he does.

We are ALL aware of this three or four year "window" being talked about for Drew. While no one truly knows ( he could wind up like Peyton with another injury which could sideline him anytime he snaps the ball or in practice --Please Lord NO!) but really, we don't know how many years DREW's got left in him. He's gym rat animal fit, lives like he means it to last a very long time, thanks to our OutStanding Offensive lines, he's been clean in the pockets and may be the least sack QB per snap playing today! ( while I can't back that up with hard stats, it just sure seems as if he's been protected mighty well along with his own escape skills and his pocket awareness, keeping his own butt from being hammered, he hasn't suffered the kind of punishment folks like Brett or Kurt Warner or other QB's have sustained. He's a warrior who knows how to protect himself while still hanging tough to make the plays.

IMHO, we have a really strong core of players who bring a mix of youth and talent and we still have many players who have been through these past great years with DREW and Coach and Our SAINTS long enough to KNOW what it's like to build another mountain to another Superbowl starting RIGHT NOW!

I believe in Coach Payton and his ability to recognize all we've written here about over this past ,sickening season and after listening to his first interview, Coach feels like we do but multiply it by about a couple of MILLION times because what Coach brings to a team we witnessed first hand and have gone to the play-offs consistantly, WON a SuperBowl and then saw and we saw the effect of what happened to Our TEAM without him.

One thing for certain, this is going to be as intense and focused a season for The SAINTS as for any team in League history and I would bet this training camp's attendance will break records as fanship and interest becomes the most scrutinized as any in the history of the game, and, for very good reasons, as this situation has never happened before so SAINTS FANS and maybe fans of Pro Football around the World will be more focused on Our TEAM than on any other which has come before. Coach Payton will NEED to KNOW and be able to FEEL ALL OF US pulling for him and Our SAINTS. We have an opportunity to display a love of his passion and fire he brings to The SAINTS and an appreciation which the whole TEAM can feed off of which should last all season as we can WILL Our TEAM to reach it's fullest potential and help Coach to inspire his Staff and his Players to excellence. That's my dream of how it should and is going to be! Cheers and GEAUX SAINTS GEAUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think he would bring Mangini to get settled in and take over for Crennel if he retires in a few years?

You bring them both in in hopes that it wont take 4 months to get the defense installed. Then if everything works out coach a or b will be hired away before long.

What about Raheem Morris? He is young, has fire, and is a good coach. IMO

I hope we get Todd Grantham from Georgia (UGA). Guy has already coached in the NFL and look at what he's done with UGA's defense.

Grantham is my favorite candidate. I love his intensity and fire... I also like the fact the he is the man that converted Georgia's defense from the 4-3 to the 3-4 after Willie Martinez left, and he did so quickly and effectively. His 3-4 scheme suits the players we already have better also. He's my guy!

Nobody out there has a resume close to Crennel. My only concern is his age an desire at this point in his career.

Keep him away from Deanie's (health) and make him take linguistics from Bobby H (local flavor) and all will be good.

You think of how much the NFL has evolved over the years, and there's validity to what you are saying. The Offense Schemes used to be so RUN Heavy, and for a QB to eclipse 3K Yards was a huge achievement, and when they did 4K Yards, it was unheard of, but now we're on the verge of having 6K Yard passers. The Offense changes, the defense has to as well. I would LOVE to see someone who would bring anything NEW to the defensive side of the ball.

At least we're not stuck in the old days like Jerry World, bringing on Monte Kiffin, and making their best player/weapon put his hand down.

At least we're not stuck in the old days like Jerry World, bringing on Monte Kiffin, and making their best player/weapon put his hand down.

Non Saints point but I don't see the issue with that part of their scheme change. Ware can play with his hand in the dirt, he did so at Troy; and it will allow him to focus more on rushing the passer; what he does best.

Bob Diaco, has turned ND's defense around quick, fast and in a hurry. He is a VERY good talent evaluator also. He had a ton of d-line talent in South Bend. Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix III and Kapron Lewis-Moore are all really good 3-4 d-linemen. I hope we give him and Kirby Smart a good look.

I think the Saints need to hire someone who knows a 3-4 defense like the back of his hand-- someone who has built it before, someone who has called the plays and been successful. There are a lot of young budding candidates, but with Drew about to turn 34, we can't afford to have someone "learn on the job" when it comes to calling the right play at the right time.

We need someone who has built a 3-4 from scratch, someone who will be adept at making a hybrid defense work until the right pieces are added over the next few years. Basically, we need someone who has done it before, and done it well.

Its like I wrote it myself. :9:

Good post PJ.

I'd prefer a veteran coach to install it, then down the road a younger up and comer to take it to the next level.

I want someone to explain to me why they are making a case for Moss.

Our linebackers were terrible when he was with the saints.

And the Packers defense? ranked 22, even with players as Hawk, Raji, Mathews, Woodson, etc. Not impressed!

I don't see why the infatuation.

As I wrote before, if you want a young guy who can be innovative get Keith Butler, who has learned his craft under Dick LeBeau, the master of the 3-4, and Mike Tomlin, a disciple of the Tampa 2.

Pepper Johnson was a heck of a player, had won rings as a player and coach, and has coached both defensive line and linebacker for Bellichick for a long time now. And if we know something about Bill, is that if you don't produce, you are gone.

I have no problem if Romeo is the guy. And I like the idea of Mangenius as the DB coach.

But if it was between Mangini or Pepper, I take Pepper all the way.

Keith Butler gets my vote. Excellent pedigree under Dick LeBeau, and his specialty is LBs, and front 7 in general....a huge weakness in our defense.

Keith Butler gets my vote. Excellent pedigree under Dick LeBeau, and his specialty is LBs, and front 7 in general....a huge weakness in our defense.

I like Keith Butler a lot but we can pretty much forget about him at this point.

Everything that I have heard from Steelers' fans is that he's not leaving for anything; because he wants to be the Steelers D-coordinator and he's already been promised that position when LeBeau decides to retire. He's already turned down an Interview with Indy, and numerous other teams over the past few seasons.

I think the Saints need to hire someone who knows a 3-4 defense like the back of his hand-- someone who has built it before, someone who has called the plays and been successful. There are a lot of young budding candidates, but with Drew about to turn 34, we can't afford to have someone "learn on the job" when it comes to calling the right play at the right time.

We need someone who has built a 3-4 from scratch, someone who will be adept at making a hybrid defense work until the right pieces are added over the next few years. Basically, we need someone who has done it before, and done it well.

The Drew Brees window is only open for so long, so the hire has to be a guy who 1- has already made a name for himself as a coordinator, 2 - has experience transitioning a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 defense over the course of a couple of years, and 3 - can make a competitive defense while under construction (with the players already on the roster).

That should narrow down the list. I've heard rumors for three people, in this order of want/interest: 1. Ed Donatell, 2. Romeo Crennel, 3. Eric Mangini

Rumor is that the Saints are moving slow because they are waiting for SB to be done with so they can pursue Donatell (the Eagles want him too). Romeo is the second choice, while Mangini is just a name being floated. For those who don't know much about Donatell, here is his bio for 49er site

Ok, you sold me. Get er done Loomis :9:

Bob Diaco, has turned ND's defense around quick, fast and in a hurry. He is a VERY good talent evaluator also. He had a ton of d-line talent in South Bend. Stephon Tuitt, Louis Nix III and Kapron Lewis-Moore are all really good 3-4 d-linemen. I hope we give him and Kirby Smart a good look.

Diaco is a solid option as well. Keep in mind that Notre Dame doesn't get the top athletes to come there anymore, so Diaco has obviously made the most of the talent he has. Bama kicking the tar out of them had more to do with superior talent than a flawed scheme on defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom