I want a young creative Defensive coordinator (1 Viewer)

How many teams are currently looking for a DC - a 3-4 DC at that? I just wondered how much competition we have in a DC search.

What about Raheem Morris? He is young, has fire, and is a good coach. IMO

It was stated that Raheem Morris went to the Redskins as a DB coach specifically because he wanted to learn more about the 3-4 scheme. At this point, I'd have to pass.

I want someone to explain to me why they are making a case for Moss.

Our linebackers were terrible when he was with the saints.

And the Packers defense? ranked 22, even with players as Hawk, Raji, Mathews, Woodson, etc. Not impressed!

I don't see why the infatuation.

As I wrote before, if you want a young guy who can be innovative get Keith Butler, who has learned his craft under Dick LeBeau, the master of the 3-4, and Mike Tomlin, a disciple of the Tampa 2.

Pepper Johnson was a heck of a player, had won rings as a player and coach, and has coached both defensive line and linebacker for Bellichick for a long time now. And if we know something about Bill, is that if you don't produce, you are gone.

I have no problem if Romeo is the guy. And I like the idea of Mangenius as the DB coach.

But if it was between Mangini or Pepper, I take Pepper all the way.

THANK YOU, you beat me to it.. makes my stomach turn when someone brings up the name of winston moss.. seriously, just look at our LB's when he coached here under haslett. no improvement in the area. :9:

I think a Romeo/Mangini fit is nice. However i really wouldnt want to hire just Mangini. Id rather go outside the NFL or find a secondary or lb coach.

I think the Saints need to be original and think outside the box. Look to AFL, college, junior college, and find someone who is making a "D" work regardless of personnel talent.

I think the Saints need to be original and think outside the box. Look to AFL, college, junior college, and find someone who is making a "D" work regardless of personnel talent.

I'd be fine with whoever they choose but, say, some whiner coordinator would be quite welcome (uh, as much as that's possible anyway)

How many teams are currently looking for a DC - a 3-4 DC at that? I just wondered how much competition we have in a DC search.
Most teams have already made their Coaching hires.

I know Cleveland is going to a 3-4 and they hired Ray Horton after he left Arizona, St.Louis is a 4-3 but they replaced Gregg Williams with Rob Ryan, Arizona replaced Horton with Former Eagles DC Todd Bowles. Bears hired Mel Tucker, Jacksonville asst. as their new DC to replace Rod Marinelli. The Cowboys are doing the opposite of us and are changing to a 4-3 and they hired Monte Kiffin.

I probably missed some but I think it is just Us, and the Eagles that are still looking to fill the Defensive coordinator spots at this time.

2 d coordinators is pretty outside the box.

Teacher
Communicator
Disciplinarian

DC qualities Payton should be looking for.

Liking Moss is similar to not liking Moss. He is listed as a bright young defensive mind. For what that is worth. And he is working under a very respected d coordinator. I wouldn't use green bays d to judge him tho. His job right now is to teach his group to do what his boss wants them to do. Kind of like Payton in Dallas.
Moss is just a well respected question mark. And probably a year or two from being ready to run a defense.

Moss got some track when he was interviewed for the raiders head coaching position.

Still, I am not impressed with his career so far. Our linebackers under Haslett were terrible, and now, I am not impressed on the over all play of the packers linebacker group. Matthews is awesome, but he is mainly coached by Kevin Greene. They haven't found a solid partner for A.J. Hawk. And the Capers' defense may be the worst 3-4 unit of the league. I don't think he will last more then a year.

If Payton is sold in Crennel's system, I mean, Bellickick's system. I hope he takes a look at Pepper Johnson, in case that Romeo decides to retire. Pepper will bring instant credibility with defensive players, and has handled the patriots line and linebackers group for a long team under Bill. Also, a very close player to Parcells.

Still, my first choice is Keith Butler.

Payton has stated that the one thing he learned from the whole bountygate issues was that as head coach he should be more involved with all aspects of the team. I don't think he wants to hire someone that he can hand the defense over to and walk away. I think he will provide more oversight than he has in the past and he wants someone he can have more control over. To me, Romeo Crenell does not fit that model. Many have stated that they are waiting til after the superbowl to hire one of the def assistants. MAybe he is waiting until after National signing day to hire someone out of the college ranks.

Whoever it is better know how to stop the spread offense because Payton gotta sleep at night lol

With the talk that Crennel can make as much sitting in his rocking chair as coaching the Saints defense next year (due to being paid by KC and any other salary offsetting it), I think we can forget about him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom