I want a young creative Defensive coordinator (1 Viewer)

i'm kinda with you here:
1. adapt to whatever wrinkle new OC/qbs throw out there
2. get players enthused about active role in the scheme
3. SP indicated pretty strongly that he wanted to have more of a presence in D meetings and he might be done with ex-HCs as D coordinators - Wade Phillips seemed to do it seamlessly, but it maybe taking the "step back" is a hard transition for some guys to make

I just question Romeo's creativity , I want a young Rex Ryan, Maybe Man Genius would help if they got him and Romeo, but love a young up and comer

1. This stuff is a lot easier and easier to understand when you can get past what you want and just understand what sean is doing.

2. Expect Sean to get a respected veteran like Crennell (who is a sean payton type of defensive mind.) Simply so that sean can feel comfortable w/o looking over his d coordinators shoulder all of the time.

3. Sean spent a lot of his free time watching saints tape with parcells. Crennell is a parcells guy. Trust this move. Also just look at kc fans reaction to the saints and crennell possibility. Pretty interesting.

Crennell and mangini both would be massive. And it would change the way teams do business.

Yeah....a sean payton on defense.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody out there has a resume close to Crennel. My only concern is his age an desire at this point in his career.

Knows the 3-4 like the back of their hand, built one from scratch.... but I don't believe Donatell has done this. He ran a traditional 4-3 everywhere he's been as a Defensive Coordinator. He just so happens to be a DB coach on a team that runs a 3-4 scheme.

Donatell was with the Jets as a special assistant coach in 2007. They were saying on Sirius that he did that in order to learn the 3-4. He was with the Bronco's in 2009 and 2010 where they ran a 3-4 and with the 49er's since who run a 3-4.

I would just prefer to get a up & coming coach instead of another retread. I like Crennel as a coach, but it's not like his defenses were that great in Cleveland & KC

Donatell was with the Jets as a special assistant coach in 2007. They were saying on Sirius that he did that in order to learn the 3-4. He was with the Bronco's in 2009 and 2010 where they ran a 3-4 and with the 49er's since who run a 3-4.

He's only been a position coach in 3-4 Defenses. The D's he's been Coordinator -

2000-2003 Green Bay Packers 4-3 base
2004-2006 Atlanta Falcons 4-3 base

Again he's never built a 3-4 from the ground up. The Saints need a Grantham (switched the Bulldogs from a 4-3 to 3-4 with great results) or Crennel. Nothing against Donatell but he doesn't look like a good fit.

I would just prefer to get a up & coming coach instead of another retread. I like Crennel as a coach, but it's not like his defenses were that great in Cleveland & KC

Crennell knows the defense that sean wants to implement.

But the correct answer is BOTH.

Get crennell and a young up and comer.

As a head coach the defenses weren't that great but as a DC they were damn good considering the offense in KC. In 2010 in his first season as a DC with KC they were ranked 14th in the league in defense despite having a roster full of rookies. In 2011 they were even better finishing 11th despite having the 27th ranked offense putting them in terrible situations constantly. In 2012 he was promoted to head coach and turned over the defense to Gary Gibbs.

His track record as a head coach is terrible. His track record as a defensive coordinator is fantastic. We don't need a head coach, we need a defensive coordinator.

Winston Moss from Green Bay

I want someone to explain to me why they are making a case for Moss.

Our linebackers were terrible when he was with the saints.

And the Packers defense? ranked 22, even with players as Hawk, Raji, Mathews, Woodson, etc. Not impressed!

I don't see why the infatuation.

As I wrote before, if you want a young guy who can be innovative get Keith Butler, who has learned his craft under Dick LeBeau, the master of the 3-4, and Mike Tomlin, a disciple of the Tampa 2.

Pepper Johnson was a heck of a player, had won rings as a player and coach, and has coached both defensive line and linebacker for Bellichick for a long time now. And if we know something about Bill, is that if you don't produce, you are gone.

I have no problem if Romeo is the guy. And I like the idea of Mangenius as the DB coach.

But if it was between Mangini or Pepper, I take Pepper all the way.

I'm not sure a lot of people understand what Sean is trying to do. He has a clear vision of what he wants on defense and who can run that defense. Sean also wants TWO defensive coordinators in order to maximize the limited time the coaches have to prepare the team. Especially when going against some of the newer multiple type offenses. He has a good feel for how Crennell and Mangini would coexist in such a system. I think the idea alone is new and innovative. Maybe a long shot. But don't you think he had this idea cooking long before he fired spagnulo?

I want someone to explain to me why they are making a case for Moss.

Our linebackers were terrible when he was with the saints.

And the Packers defense? ranked 22, even with players as Hawk, Raji, Mathews, Woodson, etc. Not impressed!

I don't see why the infatuation.

As I wrote before, if you want a young guy who can be innovative get Keith Butler, who has learned his craft under Dick LeBeau, the master of the 3-4, and Mike Tomlin, a disciple of the Tampa 2.

Pepper Johnson was a heck of a player, had won rings as a player and coach, and has coached both defensive line and linebacker for Bellichick for a long time now. And if we know something about Bill, is that if you don't produce, you are gone.

I have no problem if Romeo is the guy. And I like the idea of Mangenius as the DB coach.

But if it was between Mangini or Pepper, I take Pepper all the way.

Liking Moss is similar to not liking Moss. He is listed as a bright young defensive mind. For what that is worth. And he is working under a very respected d coordinator. I wouldn't use green bays d to judge him tho. His job right now is to teach his group to do what his boss wants them to do. Kind of like Payton in Dallas.
Moss is just a well respected question mark. And probably a year or two from being ready to run a defense.

Do you think he would bring Mangini to get settled in and take over for Crennel if he retires in a few years?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom