I want to see the fire from Payton again. (1 Viewer)

SaintsFanatic

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
What happened to Payton ranting and raving on the sidelines a la '06 season? He just seemed much more complacent and laid back this year, or am I missing something? It wasn't often he got into player's faces and chewed them out like his rookie year. He seemed to just give them the stare and let them be. Bring back the fire Sean!

John Clayton on E.S.P.N. just stated that Jeremy Shocky would be a good fit for the Saints, Lets do it and he and nasty boy Shocky can swap spit, light a fire, while the saints offense rips the roof off the dome, when shock was rockin, something about his energy level, looks like a good fit to me.

I noticed that too. He didn't have it. I am starting to think that he developed too close a relationship with his players? I thought there were times that he should have went off. Maybe it was because he knew that he was blowing it too.

I agree there was a special emotional energy among Payton and the whole team his first year, but, on the other hand, how many times have you seen Belichick ranting and raving on the sidelines? Or Dungy? I really don't think a lack of ranting and raving on the sidelines is the reason we didn't do well last year. I think it had a lot more to do with a lack of defense! By the way, I remember how much Ditka ranted and raved in his final years with da Bears (after he had already won the SB). Once, on a Monday night game, he practically tore off Doug Flutie's helmet when he came back to the sidelines after making a boneheaded play. It just made me think Ditka was out of control. His team didn't win that game, nor did he ever get close to a SB again. So Ditka's ranting and raving was a constant in his final years with the Bears, but what was missing was Buddy Ryan (and that great mid-80s defense). By the way, I think where Payton needs to crank up the intensity is in TC this year.

What happened to Payton ranting and raving on the sidelines a la '06 season? He just seemed much more complacent and laid back this year, or am I missing something? It wasn't often he got into player's faces and chewed them out like his rookie year. He seemed to just give them the stare and let them be. Bring back the fire Sean!

I disagree. Emotion may work occasionally on a play or 2, but you can't win consistently on emotion. Instead of getting in his player's faces, he should teach them. If they don't get it, put in someone who does.

I disagree. Emotion may work occasionally on a play or 2, but you can't win consistently on emotion. Instead of getting in his player's faces, he should teach them. If they don't get it, put in someone who does.

Exactly. The thing about the fiery approach is that it's best used in moderation. The reason it's so effective is because it's supposed to be used in dire situations. If Payton was that way all the time, players would stop reacting with urgency. Why do you think all Bill Parcells, Mike Keenan (NHL), etc teams quit eventually? Because it's too overbearing all the time. Why do you think the Giants turned it around after Coughlin decided to change his approach?

It's all about adjusting to the situation, not picking one tempo and going with it the entire time.

I thought he was just as fiery this year. :shrug:

I remember thinking after Hester took one back on us that there was a pretty good chance that Sean Payton would rip out Steve Weatherford's and John Bonamego's hearts Indiana Jones style.

Getting rid of Terrence Melton really cut down on that

My favorite Terrence Melton story was one game he was in on defense and was called for a penalty, and Jim Henderson said, and I quote, "that penalty is on Terrence Melton, which is unusual because he normally only screws up on special teams."

That killed me for some reason...I always think about that whenever I hear Terrence Melton's name.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom