I was just watching NFL myths show on NFLN.... (1 Viewer)

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
and I thought about something. Ok so our team last year really sucked at running. IN a traditional sense they did, but then they showed a video clip of the 49ers doing what we do with Reggie. YAC. OUr team has been excellent with regards to YAC and that is basically running. So while we havent been a good running team as far as from scrimmage running between the tackles (till this year) , our team did a hell of a lot of successful running in space. SO really any good YAC team IS technically a great running team. Ok maybe Im tired but I just found this kind of interesting perspective.

GOD

it doesnt matter the YPC ... for u to run well, you must be able to run between the tackles...to get 3 and 1, 4 and 1, 3 and 2, 3 and 3

otherwise your team doesnt have a running game ... simple and clear

thats why we lost so many games, when we needed to run, when the other team expected the run, we couldnt make it!!

haha poor guy he'll feel much better after we beat the jets tomorrow though :D

well I just put in a hellish 60 hour week of work so give me a break. Im exhausted. Anyway it doesnt matter anymore because this year we are ramming the rungame down teams throats.

Yes, you are sleepy. But to take your point a bit further. When Payton FINALLY decided to explore a running game first with Thomas and a little bit of Bell ( remember the Detriot game) we did establish a run game and the YAC percentage was pretty good. I have to give Payton credit for having more balance run/pass play calling and utilizing his run game. If you remember Thomas, Bell and Hamiltion have been on our squad. Payton just decided to use them.

I give him credit for having balance in his play calling this year. The weapon were already there.

^^^ This guy.

Last year we had all these short yardage woes, but how many times did we PA pass on those situations? I don't remember a single time we attempted a pass on a fourth-and-short conversion attempt, and it was very rare on 3rd-and-1 or 2. We all knew our running game was suspect, yet Payton never put the ball in our best playmaker's hands: Drew Brees. You KNOW if it was fourth-and-inches, and we lined Deuce up in power-I and then playactioned it, Drew would easily get a short completion for a first down. Everyone on defense would've bit on the run. We were too predictable in those situations, and that was our big fault. Shockingly enough, I think developing a good run game may make us harder to figure in those scenarios, in that I think we might start busting the PA more because of the run threat. Payton is too clever for his own good sometimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom