I was listening to the Radio this Morning... (1 Viewer)

As long as they keep recording and distributing their sexual exploits on the Internet.... I could care less how much lesbians argue or how long they stay together. As always... it's about the consumer... not the product.... get with the program.

It wouldn't really be fair since most can't get married. So if we took only gay marriages then the sample size would be small, and if we decided to take 'life partners' some would argue it would be unfair because the commitment level wouldn't be the same as if they were married.

I would imagine its about the same. Just a guess, though.

I would guess higher because they have less of the legal hooks that sometimes keep heterosexual couples together. How many more divorces would there be if there was no custody? No alimony? Often times people are more inclined to try and figure things out or make a compromise when there's more to lose.

Gay couples generally have less of that. They may have bought a house together or adopted a child but breaking legal bonds of a gay relationship and the long term ramifications legally and financially are much easier.

It's why I'm such a supporter of civil unions. Give gays the ability to form that legal bond and the consequences that go with it and I think you'd see much more stability in the gay community. Saying your married isn't quite the same as actually being legally bound to each other.

Anybody know the divorce rate for gay couples? .....for comparison.

Sweden did a study once (its legal there.)

It was a little higher, maybe like 6-8% or something. My guess is because with less sample size you have to "settle" more often. Or because God hates them, whatever floats your boat.

I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to punish themselves like the rest of us do.

That's long been my stand. I want all my gay friends to be as broke and sexually starved as I am. :hihi:

The method preferred by social scientists in determining the divorce rate is to calculate how many people who have ever married subsequently divorced. Counted that way, the rate has never exceeded about 41 percent, researchers say.
I would think that method is flawed as well. It simply says "of those people who got married, what percentage of them got divorced?" That discounts people who get divorced multiple times.

For example, 10 people get married (5 marriages). 2 end in divorce (4 people) -- 40% divorce rate.

Those 4 people get married again (no new people, just remarry -- two marriages) and both of those end in divorce again.

10 people, 4 divorced, 40%.
7 marriages, 4 divorces, 57.1%.

If they DIDN't get divorced again:
7 marriages, 2 divorces, 28.6%

It's like they treat you as if once divorced anything subsequent doesn't count anymore.

Last edited:
I would think that method is flawed as well. It simply says "of those people who got married, what percentage of them got divorced?" That discounts people who get divorced multiple times.

For example, 10 people get married (5 marriages). 2 end in divorce (4 people) -- 40% divorce rate.

Those 4 people get married again (no new people, just remarry -- two marriages) and both of those end in divorce again.

10 people, 4 divorced, 40%.
7 marriages, 4 divorces, 57.1%.

If they DIDN't get divorced again:
7 marriages, 2 divorces, 28.6%

It's like they treat you as if once divorced anything subsequent doesn't count anymore.

Good point. Their method doesn't give you a count of how many marriages end in divorce, just how many people who get married end up divorced.

I would guess higher because they have less of the legal hooks that sometimes keep heterosexual couples together. How many more divorces would there be if there was no custody? No alimony? Often times people are more inclined to try and figure things out or make a compromise when there's more to lose.

Gay couples generally have less of that. They may have bought a house together or adopted a child but breaking legal bonds of a gay relationship and the long term ramifications legally and financially are much easier.

It's why I'm such a supporter of civil unions. Give gays the ability to form that legal bond and the consequences that go with it and I think you'd see much more stability in the gay community. Saying your married isn't quite the same as actually being legally bound to each other.

Good points, and I agree with you.

Also good post V Chip. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom