I was the victim of Identity Theft (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I learned some valuable lessons. That is the worst thing is that I realize now, after the fact, how many warning signs I just blew right through. It is pretty humiliating actually.

I have to cancel all of my bank accounts. Unfortunately, I have to do that in person which I cannot do for another 9 days. Wells Fargo has been awesome with these sorts of things in the past, and they caught it before I did actually, but still it sucks that they couldn't do that over the phone. I realize I have a pretty unique job, but now I have to watch my account like a hawk for 9 more days 'till I get home from work.

I can't believe how stupid I was, yeah it was right when I woke up and I was still half asleep, but still. . . The way they got me was they tricked my spam filter into believing they were sending the request from paypal. I have my security so high I didn't even think twice. I will never take any of this for granted ever again.

Seriously, I feel like just had the crap kicked outta me.

Agreed.. always mouse over the link before clicking it to see where the link is REALLY going.

Another thing to watch is that any legitimate e-mail from eBay will use your real name. Most of the fakes will have a generic salutation.

And if you get something and you aren't sure, ALWAYS open a new window and enter your eBay account by typing in ebay.com. NEVER follow a link in an unsolicited e-mail. NEVER. That goes for any unsolicited e-mail, not just ones from eBay.

Another thing to watch is that any legitimate e-mail from eBay will use your real name. Most of the fakes will have a generic salutation.

And if you get something and you aren't sure, ALWAYS open a new window and enter your eBay account by typing in ebay.com. NEVER follow a link in an unsolicited e-mail. NEVER. That goes for any unsolicited e-mail, not just ones from eBay.

:plus-un2:

I get emails from "myself" from time to time. Email spoofs are bad... you never know if that's REALLY who you think it is that sent the email.

My bank called me at 3:00 AM and asked if I was withdrawing $100 from an ATM every few minutes at a strip club in San Antonio.

I was.

Yeah, I learned some valuable lessons. That is the worst thing is that I realize now, after the fact, how many warning signs I just blew right through. It is pretty humiliating actually.

I have to cancel all of my bank accounts. Unfortunately, I have to do that in person which I cannot do for another 9 days. Wells Fargo has been awesome with these sorts of things in the past, and they caught it before I did actually, but still it sucks that they couldn't do that over the phone. I realize I have a pretty unique job, but now I have to watch my account like a hawk for 9 more days 'till I get home from work.

I can't believe how stupid I was, yeah it was right when I woke up and I was still half asleep, but still. . . The way they got me was they tricked my spam filter into believing they were sending the request from paypal. I have my security so high I didn't even think twice. I will never take any of this for granted ever again.

Seriously, I feel like just had the crap kicked outta me.

we have wells fargo and they put a hold on the account, would not allow any money out until we could close it.

In the case of the Paypal and Ebay emails, remember to always forward the emails to: spoof@ebay.com, or spoof@paypal.com. They will email you back and tell you if the email is legit or not, and also, they use the fake ones to help track down the spammer....

I can tell you who else to watch for. In Baton Rouge, there is a big call center called West (used for stuff like ' call now operators are standing by). I used to work with someone that had worked there and she says that some co-workers would write down peoples credit card info while on the phone with them. She said they would even ask for other stuff like birthdate and the number thats on the back, when it was not required. I'm sure if she knew someone doing she probly did it herself. So, be careful even when ordering stuff off the TV from infomercials. you are never safe.
Someone stole my in-laws credit card number one time and used it to pay 3 different cell phone bills, 2 cable bills and their home phone. I thought, this person must be an idiot. But do you know that all three companies would not release the information on who's bill they paid with that card. Since it was considered stolen, my in-laws got thier money back, but not from those companies, but from the insurace they had on the card. And when they tried to follow up on this, the insurance company told them since they got their money back, it was out of their hands and they would handle the investigation. But now they had no way of knowing if it was someone they knew or not.

In other words... don't give out your personal info.

No, not even to martians.

I can tell you who else to watch for. In Baton Rouge, there is a big call center called West (used for stuff like ' call now operators are standing by). I used to work with someone that had worked there and she says that some co-workers would write down peoples credit card info while on the phone with them. She said they would even ask for other stuff like birthdate and the number thats on the back, when it was not required. I'm sure if she knew someone doing she probly did it herself. So, be careful even when ordering stuff off the TV from infomercials. you are never safe.
Someone stole my in-laws credit card number one time and used it to pay 3 different cell phone bills, 2 cable bills and their home phone. I thought, this person must be an idiot. But do you know that all three companies would not release the information on who's bill they paid with that card. Since it was considered stolen, my in-laws got thier money back, but not from those companies, but from the insurace they had on the card. And when they tried to follow up on this, the insurance company told them since they got their money back, it was out of their hands and they would handle the investigation. But now they had no way of knowing if it was someone they knew or not.

Yeah, when my sister was working at the mall, she had her cell phone and credit card stolen by a co-worker. The co-worker used her card at a neighboring store, ALL ON CAMERA. The cops refused to ask the store for its tapes and the company my sister worked for wouldn't do anything about it....thousands of dollars worth of clothing went missing at this store while that person worked there. Serves them right for not doing anything about it.

Anyone can copy your info if you are not careful. It only takes a matter of seconds if they are good. Just pay with cash whenever possible.

Ok that's weird... last time I clicked this thread the post about the DNA was credited to geauxboy

I need to go home

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom