I was wrong. Saints do have a chance to make the Super Bowl. (1 Viewer)

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
NFC teams are horrible this year. The only team better than the Saints is Seattle Seahawks. I don’t think the Rams, Bears or Bucs better than the Saints. When it comes to defense, Saints just have to cut out the mental lapses. I would take Saints defense over anyone in the NFC. Front line and secondary stack with talent. I think after the bye, this team will show why they are Super Bowl contenders.

NFC teams are horrible this year. The only team better than the Saints is Seattle Seahawks. I don’t think the Rams, Bears or Bucs better than the Saints. When it comes to defense, Saints just have to cut out the mental lapses. I would take Saints defense over anyone in the NFC. Front line and secondary stack with talent. I think after the bye, this team will show why they are Super Bowl contenders.
Take the Bears out of the list.

I know people are down on the team because of the 'way' our 5 games have gone, but realistically in our two loses we went toe to toe with good teams with out our best player on the field. Both games turned on penalties and mental lapses that are theoretically correctable. We have a small edge on our biggest NFC South competition with a head to head win, setting up a huge game later this year with the division likely on the line.

It is all still ahead of us, we can clearly still score on anyone, and our schedule gets easier as we get healthier. I still trust any team lead by Brees and Payton, and even the Seahawks don't look unbeatable in the NFC. The early bye is going to help us, and even in our worst 7-9 years (heck even in a 13-3 year) we start slow and build up wins midseason. Taysom is an important part of our Offense who sputtered in the begining with some fumbles, but looked to regain confidence in himself last week.

I honestly don't hate the way this team is set up for the rest of the year. Get hot over the next few weeks and get ready to battle in the back part of the season... all you can really hope for in an NFL season. Added to the fact that fan based home field is muted this year, and the playoffs are wide open.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season with lots of optimism!

Yep it’s just that easy. Saints just need to play better defense. Just like Winston needed to not throw it to the other team 30+ times per season, and Trent Richardson just needed to find the hole, and Dan Orlovsky needed to know where the back of the end zone was.

Point is, it’s never as easy as it sounds. We have some fundamental issues going on in our defensive backfield, and it starts with Dennis Allen’s propensity to set our guys up in positions to fail. It starts and ends with him. He needs to simplify the defense so our guys know what the hell they’re doing. Point blank.

Yep it’s just that easy. Saints just need to play better defense. Just like Winston needed to not throw it to the other team 30+ times per season, and Trent Richardson just needed to find the hole, and Dan Orlovsky needed to know where the back of the end zone was.

Point is, it’s never as easy as it sounds. We have some fundamental issues going on in our defensive backfield, and it starts with Dennis Allen’s propensity to set our guys up in positions to fail. It starts and ends with him. He needs to simplify the defense so our guys know what the hell they’re doing. Point blank.

It seems to not matter what DC or players we have. The defense always has communication issues. I’ve heard this simplify the defense excuse before with Rob Ryan and then we replaced him with Dennis Allen. Different staff with the same results. Payton just can’t have good defenses.

It's a screwy season without: 1. No Home Field, so far 2. No #13 playing 3. To many penalties. Once these problems are passed us we can be in the NFC Title Game.
This team hasn't peeked yet; and maybe that's a good thing.

Seriously, you honestly believe that? The defense is a total train wreck. No pass rush and just terrible secondary play. They are pretty solid against the run.

It seems to not matter what DC or players we have. The defense always has communication issues. I’ve heard this simplify the defense excuse before with Rob Ryan and then we replaced him with Dennis Allen. Different staff with the same results. Payton just can’t have good defenses.

It’s pretty well known that DA has an extremely complicated defensive scheme. We all know that we have talented players on that side. Maybe more talented than any Saints defense since the Dome patrol. If he makes the defense easy enough for our guys to understand, we’ll see success.

And as far as Rob Ryan goes, he simplified the defense in 2013, and we ended with a top 5 defense that season. Then we went back to his normal ways the next season and produced a terrible defense.

People forget that the NFL season is a long one full of ebbs and flows. Staying healthy is a BIG part of success. We have the talent and the coaching but crazy ball bounces and biased officiating can greatly affect the outcome of any game. Just today, the Bucs supposedly committed ZERO penalties...ZERO, and perhaps coincidentally won in a blowout.

We have a long, long way to go. We obviously want to be trending upward but I am seriously at a take it one game at a time place. I didn't even know we played the Panthers next week, UNTIL I looked it up today because all I knew was that we had a bye. This team is maddeningly inconsistent and I am simply trying to enjoy each game as it's own theatrical performance. We are 3-2 and if we win next week will regain the NFCS.

After the Minny Miracle, and the NFCCG no call followed by last year, this has just been a grind as a Saints fan. Couldn't even enjoy the regular season because you just kept waiting for a SB berth. 30 out of 32 teams won't make it to the Super Bowl and 31 out of 32 won't win it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom