I will eat all my words (1 Viewer)

If the saints sign samuel i will take back every bad word that i have ever said bad about the saints FO. Even my last thread.Its not even that i think samuel will be a great addition to the saints, because i just dont think he will be as good with us as he was with the pats.( but god i hope i am wrong with that too). I think he will be WAY better than the cb's we have now with the exception of MM, but thats not even the point. The point is that if the report is true then the FO is actually doing something for a change. It is still very hard for me to accept that thought due to the lack of action in the previous years of FA. So i am officially giving anyone who whats to permission to start a thread that says " Told you so ", directly towards me as my punishment for not having faith in the saints FO, but only if the sign him or any other BIG name athlete in FA. But it is still one of those things that i will never believe until i see it.

I don't understand how anyone can say this FO never makes a move after we aggressively courted Drew Brees and signed him. We needed and QB and he was the best available. We needed LB's once the 2006 training camp started and they went and traded for the two best they could get. We needed and center and a DT and they went and got them. What else do they need to prove? They were dormat last year and got a little comfortable but they will not make the same mistake again. Even last season, we needed a corner and they signed what appeared to be a good one. It didn't work out. Look for the FO to be very active. They will get it done.

He's Bradley Broussard.

He's been here 3 days LOL.

hey i had to start sometime, i figured i have read threads for a long time. Might as well start posting a couple. And were you not a new member at some time.

I don't understand how anyone can say this FO never makes a move after we aggressively courted Drew Brees and signed him. We needed and QB and he was the best available. We needed LB's once the 2006 training camp started and they went and traded for the two best they could get. We needed and center and a DT and they went and got them. What else do they need to prove? They were dormat last year and got a little comfortable but they will not make the same mistake again. Even last season, we needed a corner and they signed what appeared to be a good one. It didn't work out. Look for the FO to be very active. They will get it done.

sorry i didnt state it in this one, but i did in my first one. Yes we did get Drew Brees but that was the football gods throwing us a bone for once. I think i recall him really wanting to go to miami, but they did not want to take a chance on him so we got him by default.

so if samuel and any other FAs don't want to come to new orleans, is it the fault of the front office???

sorry i didnt state it in this one, but i did in my first one. Yes we did get Drew Brees but that was the football gods throwing us a bone for once. I think i recall him really wanting to go to miami, but they did not want to take a chance on him so we got him by default.

So what will you give the FO credit for? I listed more than just one move.

By the way, have you ever heard Drew Brees say he really wanted to go to Miami. That is the way the media sold it. But I have only heard Drew Brees say that he felt that being a part of rebuilding this city was a great fit for him and that Sean Payton was his deciding factor.

so if samuel and any other FAs don't want to come to new orleans, is it the fault of the front office???

Yes, and if they sign Samuels to a huge contract and he bombs it is also the fault of the front office/ sarcasm off

I work with T&P Welltesters. Anyways, I think the Saints FO have tried hard to bring in quality free agents like Chris Draft, Gamble, Deon Grant, Ken Hamlin, Ed Hartwell (when leaving Baltimore) and many more. I think however that the state and history of the organization has been a major impedement in changing the trend of not being able to land them. Fated circumstances gave us Brees, and the trend will change with the direction Payton and Loomis are taking. Winning consecutively each season would help dramatically also. I know we all are aware of our needs; many have been the same for years. I know you don't want to hear this, but we need to be patient. The way Loomis is going about it is the right way. I would love Samuels, but signing him may hinder us in the near future.

There are quality upgrades at every position other than CB that can be had at a good price. Dt, look at Booger, Kevin Carter, Robertson, Coleman. All these guys can be had without overpaying. At LB, there are many guys like Lehman and Bailey who would be an upgrade for a good price. We could probably get Vilma for a 2nd and not lose any sleep over it, or draft Rivers. We could break the bank for Briggs, be instantly better, and still have money to adress DT and S. At #2 WR, there are many options not named Moss like Hackett, Wilford, Washington and such who are not household names, but on the verge of being good.

The point is, we have to balance going after every big name with improving incrementally without mortgaging the future of the franchise. We have great players like Colston, Smith and Brown who we need to keep. I would like us to target LB and DT in free agency and round 1. S in free agency and round 2 or 3, and if anything, trade back up into round 1 for a corner like Cromartie instead of reaching at 10 when there is talent like Rivers who would better aide CB by getting pressure.

If we do sign Samuels, it is a statement signing. It will hinder us, but it will send out a message that this is a place where winners can go, a place with a chance, a legit place. Maybe we have money left over to sign the guys we need to keep and add a WR and DT on the cheap and draft the rest of our needs. Maybe next year we get the tier two free agents becuase they see we are building something and have a good foundation. I still say its best to build from the line out, but maybe Samuels is our best chance at a legit corner in the next few years. I dunno, but I will stand by whatever they decide. Ill say it again though, if it were me, I would get Briggs and Vilma, draft BPA, and trade up if possible to grab a CB in the second half of round 1.

I said i think i recall. Not i heard him say. But besides he said those things after he was with us, what did you expect him to say. I also said BIG names. We got fill-ins. Most people watch football and not sit on forums all day probably would not even know who the saints got in those years. Unless you were a saints fan. No its not entirely the FOs' fault.

Didn't the Saints offer Brees more money initially? What more can the FO do in that case?

I work with T&P Welltesters. Anyways, I think the Saints FO have tried hard to bring in quality free agents like Chris Draft, Gamble, Deon Grant, Ken Hamlin, Ed Hartwell (when leaving Baltimore) and many more. I think however that the state and history of the organization has been a major impedement in changing the trend of not being able to land them. Fated circumstances gave us Brees, and the trend will change with the direction Payton and Loomis are taking. Winning consecutively each season would help dramatically also. I know we all are aware of our needs; many have been the same for years. I know you don't want to hear this, but we need to be patient. The way Loomis is going about it is the right way. I would love Samuels, but signing him may hinder us in the near future.

There are quality upgrades at every position other than CB that can be had at a good price. Dt, look at Booger, Kevin Carter, Robertson, Coleman. All these guys can be had without overpaying. At LB, there are many guys like Lehman and Bailey who would be an upgrade for a good price. We could probably get Vilma for a 2nd and not lose any sleep over it, or draft Rivers. We could break the bank for Briggs, be instantly better, and still have money to adress DT and S. At #2 WR, there are many options not named Moss like Hackett, Wilford, Washington and such who are not household names, but on the verge of being good.

The point is, we have to balance going after every big name with improving incrementally without mortgaging the future of the franchise. We have great players like Colston, Smith and Brown who we need to keep. I would like us to target LB and DT in free agency and round 1. S in free agency and round 2 or 3, and if anything, trade back up into round 1 for a corner like Cromartie instead of reaching at 10 when there is talent like Rivers who would better aide CB by getting pressure.

If we do sign Samuels, it is a statement signing. It will hinder us, but it will send out a message that this is a place where winners can go, a place with a chance, a legit place. Maybe we have money left over to sign the guys we need to keep and add a WR and DT on the cheap and draft the rest of our needs. Maybe next year we get the tier two free agents becuase they see we are building something and have a good foundation. I still say its best to build from the line out, but maybe Samuels is our best chance at a legit corner in the next few years. I dunno, but I will stand by whatever they decide. Ill say it again though, if it were me, I would get Briggs and Vilma, draft BPA, and trade up if possible to grab a CB in the second half of round 1.

I don't share your thoughts about Briggs but I think you have the right idea. Building and investing in the front seven will be much more beneficial than investing big in a CB but Samuels would send a huge statement by signing here. There is a lot of affordable options to improve the front seven.

Yes, and if they sign Samuels to a huge contract and he bombs it is also the fault of the front office/ sarcasm off

in a way no, but in a way yes. He is one of the big names and yes they are doing a good job if he is actually interested, but if he fails then it could be somewhat their fault because they knew beforehand that the pats and us do not play the same sort defense. In fact isnt that the same thing that happened to jason david. Everyone thought he was a great pickup when we signed him, because he didnt do that bad in the pats defensive scheme. But when he got to the saints he surprisingly became the worst cb in the league. Kind strange dont you think.

I said i think i recall. Not i heard him say. But besides he said those things after he was with us, what did you expect him to say. I also said BIG names. We got fill-ins. Most people watch football and not sit on forums all day probably would not even know who the saints got in those years. Unless you were a saints fan. No its not entirely the FOs' fault.

That is a weak argument. Brees was a big name and he was offered more money by the Saints. Hollis Thomas was well known around the league and had played in the Super Bowl the previous season. Jeff Faine was a former first round selection and yes not well known unless you know football.

Point is that the FO has done what it needed to do to improve this team over the past few years. They evaluated talent pretty poorly last offseason but they were active.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom