I would change the defensive scheme for tonight's game (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just considering that we don't have Ellis, Danvenport, Tanoh and Turner available, I would consider switching to a 3-4 base formation, if it is true that the cowboys want to concentrate on the run game (as Jerry Jones said).

I will use Shy Tuttle at the middle, with Cam Jordan and David Onyematta flanking him.

Behind I will use Demario Davis and Pete Werner at the middle, with Zac Baun and Carl Granderson attacking from the linebacker position.

I'll keep our secondary as it is.

This is not because I want the change the scheme, it is because this may be the best scheme considering the players available.

All paired with a big portion of runs by Ingram and Taysom.

Really hard to win with (lack of) depth we currently have. I guess experimenting would not be a bad idea.....

Just considering that we don't have Ellis, Danvenport, Tanoh and Turner available, I would consider switching to a 3-4 base formation, if it is true that the cowboys want to concentrate on the run game (as Jerry Jones said).

I will use Shy Tuttle at the middle, with Cam Jordan and David Onyematta flanking him.

Behind I will use Demario Davis and Pete Werner at the middle, with Zac Baun and Carl Granderson attacking from the linebacker position.

This is not because I want the change the scheme, it is because this may be the best scheme considering the players available.

Really hard to win with (lack of) depth we currently have. I guess experimenting would not be a bad idea.....
how good are their TEs?

My first thought was Sedrick Ellis because of the spelling and list of DL players additionally named. Took me a minute to catch up.

Turner can be activated from IR.

Not a bad idea, but asking the front 7 to switch schemes for a Thursday game might be tough.

how good are their TEs?
Pretty good, Jarwin and Shultz. I’m guessing we’re more concerned with playing Nickel than worrying about 3-4. Dallas is more of a passing team even though Pollard (RB) is very workman like. We need a big game from Lattimore, Roby and Adebo.

Allen runs mostly a 1-Gap 4-3 and favors his LB's in a Under scheme presenting a 5 man front to the offense,

Switching to a 3-4 defense will it be single or two gap front? If 2 gap you are asking DL to negate quickness into a single gap for occupying space and cover 2 gaps and wait on play to develop. This takes a different type DL.

If 1-gap 3-4 would look the same as our base defense of 4-3 under.

The chess game that occurs weekly between offensive coord and defensive coord is basically anticipating what your opponent will call. Every play called on defense has it strengths and weaknesses. Does the DC sell out to stop the run leaving it exposed to the passing game or vice versa.

Bottom line better to study game film with defensive players and coach what the Cowboys will do.

Defenses rarely switch their base scheme in the middle of the season. Adjustments are always needed both to better match up with a particular offense and to correct deficiencies, but a wholesale scheme switch at this point would probably do more harm than good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom