I would like to share this story. (1 Viewer)

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My grandfather (mom's dad) passed away several days ago. I never thought of him as a Saints fan...until yesterday. When we were growing up, we would watch/listen to Saints gamesafter church. Frequently, my grandparents would come have lunch with us. While we were watching the game, my mom, her parents and most other females would be having conversation. As a kid, I would get slightly annoyed because it would be hard to hear the TV or radio.

Now, I knew my grandpa never really watched much TV. He and my grandma spent most of their time visiting ther 7 kids, reading, chatting with each other or just relaxing. So I could understand why he never got into the Saints.

Yesterday my dad told me this: my grandpa never understood the game of football. He was in the military and deployed for much of his young adulthood. However, when the family was together, he did his best to enjoy the games with us. He saw that we enjoyed the Saibts and tried to be apart of that, for us. If the Saibts scored, he celebrated with us. All he understood was "The Saints scored a touchdown pawpaw!"

Even though he wasn't a 'fan' like you or I, he understod that this game brought people and our family, in particular, together.

It was an honor for me to have played "Taps" and "Amazing Grace" for his funeral services yesterday.he was a gray man, a US military vet, a father of 7, grandfather of 27, a great grandfather of 37 and a gray great grandfather of 1.

Who Dat!!

Your pawpaw sounds like a wonderful family man. Sorry for your loss. Glad you got to play Taps and Amazing Grace at his funeral. God bless you.

My grandfather (mom's dad) passed away several days ago. I never thought of him as a Saints fan...until yesterday. When we were growing up, we would watch/listen to Saints gamesafter church. Frequently, my grandparents would come have lunch with us. While we were watching the game, my mom, her parents and most other females would be having conversation. As a kid, I would get slightly annoyed because it would be hard to hear the TV or radio.

Now, I knew my grandpa never really watched much TV. He and my grandma spent most of their time visiting ther 7 kids, reading, chatting with each other or just relaxing. So I could understand why he never got into the Saints.

Yesterday my dad told me this: my grandpa never understood the game of football. He was in the military and deployed for much of his young adulthood. However, when the family was together, he did his best to enjoy the games with us. He saw that we enjoyed the Saibts and tried to be apart of that, for us. If the Saibts scored, he celebrated with us. All he understood was "The Saints scored a touchdown pawpaw!"

Even though he wasn't a 'fan' like you or I, he understod that this game brought people and our family, in particular, together.

It was an honor for me to have played "Taps" and "Amazing Grace" for his funeral services yesterday.he was a gray man, a US military vet, a father of 7, grandfather of 27, a great grandfather of 37 and a gray great grandfather of 1.

Who Dat!!

Sorry for your loss - feel proud that you had such a wonderful Grandfather

Sorry for your loss I to grew up listening to the saints with my grandfather. We would sit in his truck and listen all morning and into the evening. my grandfather passed three years ago and I try to carry on that tradition with my son of listening to it on the radio. Football is a great way to bring a family together no matter if their a fan or not. At least we know they got the best seats in the house now. Who Dat!

Thanks for everyones condolences. I, along with everyone else in my family, have learned a great deal about my pawpaw the last few days. They gave him a military funeral. At that funeral, the guy read about my grandpas role as a combat soldier in WWII. It explained to us about how much danger he was in, everyday. Then he read my grandpas accomplishents and awards. No one, not even my grandma, knew that he had recieved a bronze star. He never spoke of the war, nor his accomplishments. He was a very humble man.

My mom also told me that my grandpa loved when I played my trumpet. I played at church fronthe age of 12 until I left for college at 18. I played a handful of times sibce, but he alwayes asked my mom when I would cone back and play. I never knew that until this past Wednesday. He was proud of me and that is such a great feeling. It was an honor to play for his funeral services.

Thanks for everyones condolences. I, along with everyone else in my family, have learned a great deal about my pawpaw the last few days. They gave him a military funeral. At that funeral, the guy read about my grandpas role as a combat soldier in WWII. It explained to us about how much danger he was in, everyday. Then he read my grandpas accomplishents and awards. No one, not even my grandma, knew that he had recieved a bronze star. He never spoke of the war, nor his accomplishments. He was a very humble man.

My mom also told me that my grandpa loved when I played my trumpet. I played at church fronthe age of 12 until I left for college at 18. I played a handful of times sibce, but he alwayes asked my mom when I would cone back and play. I never knew that until this past Wednesday. He was proud of me and that is such a great feeling. It was an honor to play for his funeral services.

It's unfortunate that learning things about a person after they have passed away is commonplace. But take heart in what you have learned and make sure you pass on those kind of things to your kids and grandkids. That will make your legacy and that of your family's continue from generation to generation. The best thing you can leave the next generation is a real firm grasp on their roots and their heritage, especially the best parts.

Take care.

Man, he sounds like he was a really awesome person. The kind I would've loved to have known. Always be glad you did, and make sure you pass along his story to all of your kids and grandkids. They'll all be better for knowing that there are people like that out there.

Salute!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom