I would not be shocked if..saints trade for a receiver (Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

Why would you think this? Callaway is six games into the current season and has disappeared for long stretches, doesn’t seem to even close as being on the same page as Winston, his best fit seems to as a STer/depth receiver (before the season I was really high on him. I thought he would breakout, now we’re seeing why he went undrafted).

TQS……besides being an injury magnet is at his best a marginal #2. He probably wouldn’t see the field much on a team with better WR depth. Look at the Seahawks for example - is he better than Metcalf - certainly not, Lockett - no, Swain - no. So you’re pinning your hopes on a guy that would be depth on most squads.

While I’m no Winston fan he certainly isn’t getting any help from his WR/TE corps. They are easily the worst units in the entire NFL (they might be the worst units of the last half decade). They kind of have to make a move (even if CGM returns soon).
Exactly how I see it. Calloway went undrafted for a reason, he has skill but is a marginal talent, TQS has been the same player for 4 years now so there is no reason to think he is about to all of a sudden be a world beater and everybody else (Montgomery, Humphrey, Davis, Stills) are simply role players, though I do feel Still can provide the most in the passing game the previously mentioned players.

I said in another thread, that are talent is so poor that it looks like we are fielding players just to simulate the play called.

I was responded to a post that said that he was being saved for the TB...which again, highly unlikely and remote at best.

If you don't want to believe me...then don't. Some people appreciate my input...if you don't, my sleep is completely unaffected. FYI...I'm usually right, as much as that may pain you.
The fact that the crew last night said they asked Payton about Thomas and he didn't even want to answer it. That should tell us all that Thomas isn't going to be back for awhile. Certainly not next week against Tampa. I would even say not even the week after either.

The fact that the crew last night said they asked Payton about Thomas and he didn't even want to answer it. That should tell us all that Thomas isn't going to be back for awhile. Certainly not next week against Tampa. I would even say not even the week after either.
I agree , my thoughts exactly . I still want to know why our highest paid receiver waited so long to have surgery ! The real reason , probably part of the " woke " crowd . Cry me a river MT .

Yes I would be calling all the terrible teams and try to get someone.

Dolphins: Will Fuller: he’s hurt right now, but dude is fast when he’s healthy & we need more speed IMO. He would be perfect but he’s always hurt.

Jets: Jamison Crowder

Texans: Brandin Cooks

Jags: Jamal Agnew or Tavon Austin: two speed options as well as return guys. Wish Chark was healthy. Love Shenault but doubt they would trade him.

Broncos: I would say KJ Hamler but dude it more injury prone than Harris

Giants: John Ross III but he’s injury prone as well. Maybe Sterling Shepard or Darius Slayton as well. They pretty stacked at WR when everyone is healthy

Eagles : Quez Watkins. I wanted to draft the speedster from Southern Miss

Football team: DeAndre Carter. Fast and a return guy. Curtis Samuel but he’s injury prone as well

Bears: Allen Robinson. Probably the best option as a starting type, but I want some more speed. Jimmy Graham? Not a receiver, but I would love to see one of my all time favorite Saints come back and finish his career in NOLA.

Lions: Kalif Raymond. Another speed option plus we have a good relationship with the head coach.

Seahawks: Freddie Swain. But I would see if they willing to part with Tyler Lockett. Lockett would be perfect IMO. It would be sweet to add him and then bring over his QB via trade in the off-season after he’s had enough with Pete Caroll.

A winning team stacked at receiver:

Cardinals: Andy Isabella. Wanted to draft this fast dude too and the Cards are stacked at WR.

Not the greatest options, but I think some of these guys would help out.
Was actually going through all the teams who's seasons are pretty much over already, who might be willing to part with a receiver for draft capital, and came up with pretty close to the same names as you have here.

What I want to know is how we got ourselves into a position where we have almost no starting caliber receivers. I like Calloway but lets be fair. He doesn't win vs CB1s and seldom wins vs CB2s. I love Harris, but his size will keep him in an ice tub if he's used as an actually all-game WR. Who actually knows what TQS could've been if not for the injuries, but after so many injuries during his 3 years in the league, I don't hold much hope of him becoming much more than what he's always been. I don't want to disrespect him, but he's lost what probably comes up to two full seasons worth of development and he definitely came into the league needing some development. As for Kenny Stills, he seems like a one-trick pony that forgot how to do that one trick. And as much as I don't like to use the term, Kevin White is the literal definition of a "bust". Ty Montgomery is a tweener type WR/RB who's best suited as a player that comes in every now and then and makes a play, then disappears until he's needed again, not an every down receiver. Lil'Jordan is a big WR who doesn't seem to be able to get any separation against any level of NFL DB.

That's literally zero useable WRs. Now I was not involved in the Winston/Hill debate before the season, but I have never been extremely high on Winston. Mostly because he was the enemy for half a decade and it was just going to take some time for me to get used to the idea of cheering for him. So I'm not one to make excuses for him, BUT... Poor guy doesn't stand a chance. He doesn't have anything to work with. His INT #'s have come down a LOT this year, but of the INTs he has thrown, most of them was because he was forced to throw the ball into perfect coverage. Luckily, he's using his legs more now and picking up first downs again like he did vs Green Bay and AK is absolutely killing it. But how long will that last as defenses realize this and find a way to force us to beat them with our depleted, almost not-NFL quality receivers.

What are you proposing that the team trade for that difference making WR? What asset does the team have that would net us that player? Even if there was a trade, there is no cap space for one.

Can anyone explain how the salary cap works when handling a player for player trade?
So let’s say there is a very good want away wr out there on a big money long term contract and we trade a player of our own who is on a big money long term contract who wants to go elsewhere. (Obviously hypothetical).

Do the contracts partially offset or do both teams get stuck with a huge heap of dead money?

Payton is usually pretty tight lipped about injuries, so I'm not surprised that he doesn't want to talk about it. I honestly don't know what is going to happen. I had some pretty good intel about a month ago that Thomas wasn't that close to returning, and that he was very unlikely to make it back when we hoped. But after that I don't know...who knows...maybe he is ready now.

I would not be shocked if the Saints traded for an an impact receiver very soon. We cannot go the rest the season with this group as is. IMO

Let me preface this: Honestly, while I was frustrated to no end about the game last night, ultimately, gutting out a win was important in an exceedingly wet road game in a loud, unfriendly stadium, against a desperate team, and missing the dimension added by Taysom. It was ugly, but it was always going to be ugly, and we showed grit. (Unlikely those seasons where we just never seemed to be able to close or win a close one.)

Okay, yes, 100% we need to get Jameis more weapons. We cannot, regardless of a Keyshawn or whatever, rely on Michael Thomas. While Seattle couldn't stop Kamara, some team will. We need other playmakers who can get separation and catch the ball. Trautman has consistently proven he can't catch, and he just seems nervous overall. Deonte has the type of injury that will consistently nag, so we can't rely on him. If we want to win now, we need a contributor. I think we need to see about getting a WR1 or WR2 if we can.

I think Payton and Jameis are limited by what talent is available to them, sadly. I'm just a fan with no coaching strategy or experience, but talent and execution seems to be a primary issue.

If Thomas miraculously returns this week for Tampa, I'd bet Payton wants them to have as little warning as possible.

Payton is usually pretty tight lipped about injuries, so I'm not surprised that he doesn't want to talk about it. I honestly don't know what is going to happen. I had some pretty good intel about a month ago that Thomas wasn't that close to returning, and that he was very unlikely to make it back when we hoped. But after that I don't know...who knows...maybe he is ready now.

I've heard everything from he's not going to be back soon to he was making cuts on it last week. As eager as I am for Thomas to return, at this point I'll believe it when I see it.

That's not new with Payton though. He is like that with every player who is injured.

I don't think trading for another WR will help. Its too late. That WR is going to have to learn the offense, get his timing down with JW, etc. That takes time and we are in week 7. Hopefully, the team gets Taysom Hill and Harris back for next week, which should be a boost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom