I would not be shocked if..saints trade for a receiver (Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

He's still rehabilitating. He's not participating in team practice. This isn't just a matter of getting caught up to speed and conditioned. An 80% CGM after missing about a year and a half of football is a joke after a high ankle sprain...something that typically with surgery has about a 2-3 month turn around. Over a year. It's inexcusable.
No one is excusing *not* getting the surgery.

But saying he isn’t going to play is an enormous stretch with no evidence to back it up.

I've been very critical of TQS performance last night, but after thinking about I'm going to reserve judgement for a while.

He was playing his first game of the year with a new QB in poor weather conditions.

No one is excusing *not* getting the surgery.

But saying he isn’t going to play is an enormous stretch with no evidence to back it up.
When did I say he wasn't going to play? I do think that he'll eventually get back...but it's not as soon as many are expecting, and I'm skeptical that he'll be an elite WR after missing about a year and a half of football.

I've been very critical of TQS performance last night, but after thinking about I'm going to reserve judgement for a while.

He was playing his first game of the year with a new QB in poor weather conditions.
If he was on the Patriots, he wouldn't see the field for a while. He was completely clueless out there.

I would not be shocked if the Saints traded for an an impact receiver very soon. We cannot go the rest the season with this group as is. IMO
We've got to do something to improve the WR position. Even if Mike Thomas comes back, the offensive skill position group won't be good enough to win against good teams, certainly not in the playoffs.

When did I say he wasn't going to play? I do think that he'll eventually get back...but it's not as soon as many are expecting, and I'm skeptical that he'll be an elite WR after missing about a year and a half of football.
From the post I quoted:

He’s wasn’t even been practicing. The chances of him playing are remote and if he does you really have to question if he’s in shape and can contribute right now.
“The chances of him playing are remote.”

You’ve said some variation of this on a lot of threads, too. Cryptic references to him not playing or not playing at anywhere near a level at which he can be effective.

If you know something about his personal medical condition, cool. If not, the cryptic posts and references to him not playing are getting a little tired, imo.

What are you proposing that the team trade for that difference making WR? What asset does the team have that would net us that player? Even if there was a trade, there is no cap space for one.

This is a bad offense with less than a handful of good players on it. There is no amount of trading the future that’s going to change that for the next couple of years.
In Nick Underhill's piece yesterday, he explained how the Saints can make a move for WR. But a few things would have to get moved around.

Yes I would be calling all the terrible teams and try to get someone.

Dolphins: Will Fuller: he’s hurt right now, but dude is fast when he’s healthy & we need more speed IMO. He would be perfect but he’s always hurt.

Jets: Jamison Crowder

Texans: Brandin Cooks

Jags: Jamal Agnew or Tavon Austin: two speed options as well as return guys. Wish Chark was healthy. Love Shenault but doubt they would trade him.

Broncos: I would say KJ Hamler but dude it more injury prone than Harris

Giants: John Ross III but he’s injury prone as well. Maybe Sterling Shepard or Darius Slayton as well. They pretty stacked at WR when everyone is healthy

Eagles : Quez Watkins. I wanted to draft the speedster from Southern Miss

Football team: DeAndre Carter. Fast and a return guy. Curtis Samuel but he’s injury prone as well

Bears: Allen Robinson. Probably the best option as a starting type, but I want some more speed. Jimmy Graham? Not a receiver, but I would love to see one of my all time favorite Saints come back and finish his career in NOLA.

Lions: Kalif Raymond. Another speed option plus we have a good relationship with the head coach.

Seahawks: Freddie Swain. But I would see if they willing to part with Tyler Lockett. Lockett would be perfect IMO. It would be sweet to add him and then bring over his QB via trade in the off-season after he’s had enough with Pete Caroll.

A winning team stacked at receiver:

Cardinals: Andy Isabella. Wanted to draft this fast dude too and the Cards are stacked at WR.

Not the greatest options, but I think some of these guys would help out.

From the post I quoted:

“The chances of him playing are remote.”

You’ve said some variation of this on a lot of threads, too. Cryptic references to him not playing or not playing at anywhere near a level at which he can be effective.

If you know something about his personal medical condition, cool. If not, the cryptic posts and references to him not playing are getting a little tired, imo.
I was responded to a post that said that he was being saved for the TB...which again, highly unlikely and remote at best.

If you don't want to believe me...then don't. Some people appreciate my input...if you don't, my sleep is completely unaffected. FYI...I'm usually right, as much as that may pain you.

Last edited:
I'm more than happy to wait this out a bit longer. Won't be surprised if a month from now WR is no longer much of a concern. I get people are frustrated with the Michael Thomas situation, but I think people are going overboard here with the doom and gloom about his situation. He is still in his prime, he didn't forget how to play football because of an ankle injury. Just before the injury he was considered by many to be the best WR in the league coming off an OPOY season. Also I've seen people say they don't think he wants to play for the Saints anymore. His Twitter tells a different story as he is tweeting about the win last night against Seattle.

Getting Harris back will also help. He's been effective with the deep ball this year, and helps open things up for us with his explosive ability even if he doesn't see many targets.

I think Callaway will fare better when he doesn't have to be a #1 WR for us. When Thomas gets back he will see more favorable matchups and should continue to be a solid contributor.

If we still need another guy at WR after Thomas comes back, I'm all for grabbing a guy high in the draft at WR, I just don't see a reason to take on another big WR contract right now via trade before seeing what all our top WR's can do when they are ready and available to play.

We need to cut some guys and go shopping on practice squads. We need. TE, a bruiser back and a possession receiver..

I think TQS and Callaway will improve soon into more reliable. If TQS could just stay healthy, he takes too many big hits.
Why would you think this? Callaway is six games into the current season and has disappeared for long stretches, doesn’t seem to even close as being on the same page as Winston, his best fit seems to as a STer/depth receiver (before the season I was really high on him. I thought he would breakout, now we’re seeing why he went undrafted).

TQS……besides being an injury magnet is at his best a marginal #2. He probably wouldn’t see the field much on a team with better WR depth. Look at the Seahawks for example - is he better than Metcalf - certainly not, Lockett - no, Swain - no. So you’re pinning your hopes on a guy that would be depth on most squads.

While I’m no Winston fan he certainly isn’t getting any help from his WR/TE corps. They are easily the worst units in the entire NFL (they might be the worst units of the last half decade). They kind of have to make a move (even if CGM returns soon).

Re: TE, Trautman might be having the worst season I've seen a Saints TE have in my lifetime: drops, a backbreaking holding penalty vs NYG negating a deep ball TD, a costly fumble. It's like he has all of Jared Cook's bad qualities but none of his good ones. Juwan Johnson has shown flashes but he disappears for long stretches of games.

Our receiver issues were compounded by both Deonte and Taysom being out. Neither are #1s as receivers but they have to be accounted for on the field and they are at least capable of making plays.
15 games last season with Drew Brees and Taysom Hill, Trautman had 15 receptions for 171 yds, this year so far 9 receptions for 100 yards with Jameis. Yes, he had that fumble last night but it was not as bad as it seemed. Now Jared Cook last year had fumbleitis in the playoffs. Cook did not secure the ball against Tampa and basically lost us that game. Trautman just had his first fumble with team. Jared Cook was a veteran, Trautman was a rookie last year. They are working this all out. We are 4-2 with all of this shirt going on. JMO

AP

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom