I would put this in the "All things Florida thread", however I feel this deserves it's own . . . (1 Viewer)

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
A black man, a white woman and three generations of racists walk into a bar.

“Are you from Africa?” asks one of the white men. “Is it Africa Day?”

While this may sound like the opening line to an offensive joke, WKMG and the Daytona Beach News-Journal report that police have charged two Florida men with hate crimes and another with misdemeanor battery after they attacked an interracial couple who was celebrating Mother’s Day.

On May 12, Derryan Wood, who is black, took his wife Tiffany to Tailgatorz Sports Bar & Grille in Edgewater, Fla. Surveillance footage shows the couple was minding their own business at the bar when 66-year-old Warren Stratton approached them asked the couple if he was from Africa and whether it was Africa Day.

A black man, a white woman and three generations of racists walk into a bar.

“Are you from Africa?” asks one of the white men. “Is it Africa Day?”

While this may sound like the opening line to an offensive joke, WKMG and the Daytona Beach News-Journal report that police have charged two Florida men with hate crimes and another with misdemeanor battery after they attacked an interracial couple who was celebrating Mother’s Day.

On May 12, Derryan Wood, who is black, took his wife Tiffany to Tailgatorz Sports Bar & Grille in Edgewater, Fla. Surveillance footage shows the couple was minding their own business at the bar when 66-year-old Warren Stratton approached them asked the couple if he was from Africa and whether it was Africa Day.

so, I can't see if there are any images for this. But based on the story, "beaten to a pulp" isn't accurate. It's just what the 911 caller said to make sure they show up fast. He was attacked though, and definitely harassed for absolutely no good reason.

If I were quick witted enough, I'd say "Africa Day? You mean the Band? Yeah, they're cool. Is this their anniversary or something?"

EDIT: Looks like the online reviews haven't been hit yet. But overall seems like an OK place. But, probably a bit rednecky. Which isn't bad. Just when you have stuff like this happen. I wonder if that guy was a regular or passing through.

And in North Carolina:

(Reuters) - Smoothie King, a U.S. chain of shops specializing in blended fruit and vegetable drinks, said on Monday that it was temporarily shutting two of its North Carolina stores after workers used racial slurs on receipts to describe customers.

The Dallas-based franchise company said two employees who wrote offensive descriptions on the receipts of an African-American and an Asian customer had lost their jobs. The dismissed employees worked at separate stores in Charlotte.

“We have zero tolerance for any action where a guest is disrespected and we have taken immediate and decisive action,” Smoothie King Franchises Inc said in an emailed statement.

The company said it was closing the two stores where the incidents occurred “until the franchisees and their respective teams complete further training on our standards and to ensure that nothing like this occurs again.”

This sheet happens all the time. And I think that's why African Americans and other minorities that have to put up with this behavior get so angry when some insist that racism isn't an issue anymore, or that privilege isn't a real thing.

so, I can't see if there are any images for this. But based on the story, "beaten to a pulp" isn't accurate. It's just what the 911 caller said to make sure they show up fast. He was attacked though, and definitely harassed for absolutely no good reason.

If I were quick witted enough, I'd say "Africa Day? You mean the Band? Yeah, they're cool. Is this their anniversary or something?"

EDIT: Looks like the online reviews haven't been hit yet. But overall seems like an OK place. But, probably a bit rednecky. Which isn't bad. Just when you have stuff like this happen. I wonder if that guy was a regular or passing through.
I didn't think "beaten to a pulp" was accurate either, however, maybe the caller knew that was the only way the police would respond . . . in a timely manner.

And in North Carolina:

This shirt happens all the time. And I think that's why African Americans and other minorities that have to put up with this behavior get so angry when some insist that racism isn't an issue anymore, or that privilege isn't a real thing.

I have a non-violent story to tell some day (If I didn't already a while back), but maybe stuff like this gives some credence to what a young (early 20 something) white girl told me in college about how she couldn't handle an interracial relationship. She was referring to me (being half Puerto Rican, and I guess dark enough for that latitude).

Maybe instead of just being oddly afraid of her parents and how society would look at us, she was really being altruistic and looking out for my safety.

:loco:

Nothing tells a woman that she is a special person on a special day like taking her to Tailgatorz Sports Bar & Grille in Edgewater.
Maybe she just wanted some cheap drinks and good eats.

Sometimes the best mothers day is to get the heck away from the house, but you don't want to pay a ton.

or.. maybe it's just trashy. Ok. But, I wanna give the benefit of the doubt.

And in North Carolina:

This shirt happens all the time. And I think that's why African Americans and other minorities that have to put up with this behavior get so angry when some insist that racism isn't an issue anymore, or that privilege isn't a real thing.
The "Jackie Chan" one could, in some cases, be a compliment. But usually not a good idea. The other one I won't repeat.. hell no.

Nothing tells a woman that she is a special person on a special day like taking her to Tailgatorz Sports Bar & Grille in Edgewater.

There's ton of reasons why they decided to go to that establishment. At the end of the day, no matter the reason, they should of been given the same common courtesy as everyone else to eat their meal.

There's ton of reasons why they decided to go to that establishment. At the end of the day, no matter the reason, they should of been given the same common courtesy as everyone else to eat their meal.

Pretty sure he was making an off to the side joke.

I don't think anyone is going to say that couple deserved that treatment.

Pretty sure he was making an off to the side joke.

I don't think anyone is going to say that couple deserved that treatment.

Yes, I was just poking fun at the establishment itself, not commenting on the actual story.

Pictures on their yelp page suggest it is a biker bar. NNTAWWT, just doesn't seem like a first choice for Mother's Day. I dunno, maybe Sizzler had a long line.:idunno:

Last edited:
Maybe she just wanted some cheap drinks and good eats.

Sometimes the best mothers day is to get the heck away from the house, but you don't want to pay a ton.

or.. maybe it's just trashy. Ok. But, I wanna give the benefit of the doubt.
Your so right.
I rarely eat out, so I find it difficult to complain about any food establishment that is palatable and will have someone bring it to me and pick up the dirty plates afterward. I have to assume that there are at least a few women who share my thoughts about this as well.

Definitely still alive and well. I went to a bar with coworkers in MO, was the only black guy there, happened to be wearing my saints hoodie. Two girls at the next table noticed and wanted to take a pic (with) me; apparently they liked NOLA. The redneck with them didn’t like it and stewed for the next hour. Finally when I was heading home he flipped the table over and called all kinds of N’s. My coworker wanted to beat him, but I held him back; effectively protecting the redneck who was calling me N’s.

i really hate people. even my mom said i don't really like people, do i? first thing she has ever been right about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom