I10 Atchafalaya basin...speed cameras going up. (1 Viewer)

I believe that some toll roads/turnpikes will monitor the distance travelled with regards to estimated time taken to do so. The booth operators (if they still exist) would usually just mouth a “slow down a bit” but not threaten to cite you.

Is there any precedence to this type of speeding ticket? This is different than the typical speeding camera. this one doesn't actually record your speed, just does the math with distance. Maybe they use these in other places already? Any indication on when they will actually install the cameras?

i am sure this is how they used to catch speeders by airplane before technology improved....they would have stripes marked on the highway that the pilots would use to calculate speed

Is there any precedence to this type of speeding ticket? This is different than the typical speeding camera. this one doesn't actually record your speed, just does the math with distance. Maybe they use these in other places already? Any indication on when they will actually install the cameras?
My dad used to tell me that's how they used to catch folks on some of the turnpikes he's driven on when he drove OTR. Get a timestamped ticket getting on, you turn it in getting off. Sometimes, they'd send some sort of signal to an officer sitting on the side of the road pass the exit. If not, a ticket would pop up in the mail.

Sometimes carriers would overlook those things if it was an important enough load. Other times however.

So are all tickets the same price? How much will that ticket be?

A competition for fastest crossing should certainly be on the table with these new cameras and free official time keeping by our government.

We are a LONG way off of any actual electronic ticketing system. The only change happening anytime soon is that they are putting up new signs announcing that the area is designated a "safety corridor". All that means is that they just doubled the fines if you get caught speeding the normal way - 1st offence is now $350+ and 2nd offence $1000+. The radar/timing thing is a future phase that has no timeline yet. They haven't even explored what type of systems are available and how it would work, much less have a timeline for implementation.

But we doubled the fines, so progress.

We are a LONG way off of any actual electronic ticketing system. The only change happening anytime soon is that they are putting up new signs announcing that the area is designated a "safety corridor". All that means is that they just doubled the fines if you get caught speeding the normal way - 1st offence is now $350+ and 2nd offence $1000+. The radar/timing thing is a future phase that has no timeline yet. They haven't even explored what type of systems are available and how it would work, much less have a timeline for implementation.

But we doubled the fines, so progress.
Louisiana has the most cops per capita of any state in the country in a state known for murders and speed traps. Perhaps that isn't progress.

My dad used to tell me that's how they used to catch folks on some of the turnpikes he's driven on when he drove OTR. Get a timestamped ticket getting on, you turn it in getting off. Sometimes, they'd send some sort of signal to an officer sitting on the side of the road pass the exit. If not, a ticket would pop up in the mail.

Sometimes carriers would overlook those things if it was an important enough load. Other times however.
My dad got busted by an airplane. It was back when the speed limit was 55. He was on his way to Georgia. He
got the ticket in Pensacola. The ticket was going 60 in a 55 :)

Ha! I couldn't remember where I enter Hwy 190 and it's in Opelousas. Depending on time of day, I sometimes just go across the river while still on 190 into Baton Rouge and get to I-10 that way.

That's exactly what I've been doing for the last decade or so. I've driven beyond Opelousas on I-49 to get to Baton Rouge maybe 3 total times in that timeframe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom