Ian Book: How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

How do you like the Ian Book pick?

• Love it

Votes: 90 23.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • Too Soon to Tell

Votes: 114 29.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 67 17.1%

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • Don’t like

Votes: 24 6.1%

• Total voters
I liked Ehlinger a lot better

The reason he nearly fell off the map is he regressed a lot from previous years. I don't know enough to know why, but in the bit of time I saw him, he didn't look all that great.

I'm not saying he'll bomb out in the NFL, but he's got a long way to go.

The guy that went in the 7th round?

When Book had his name called analyst alike responded by saying they heard his name being brought up by a few teams.
Exactly we could have gotten another defensive player or receiver and taken Sam in the 6th

Notre Dame QB’s who played in the NFL. None of them had as winning a record for the Irish ...as Ian Book.

Beuerlein, Steve
Clausen, Jimmy
Hanratty, Terry
Hornung, Paul
Mirer, Rick
Montana, Joe
Quinn, Brady
Theismann, Joe
Tripucka, Frank

That’s pretty decent company.

Yes, Ian Book has the highest W-L record in Notre Dame history. 🤔

:gosaints:

Exactly we could have gotten another defensive player or receiver and taken Sam in the 6th
There wasn’t any value defensive picks left to take in the 4th. Next picks after Book were DEs and LBs and those positions were already addressed in round 1 and 2. We have starting DEs and LBs, just didn’t have depth before those selections.

Trill Williams was ranked higher than the DBs selected after Book on draft sites, and we got Williams as an UDFA. Round 2 selected a LB Werner and Baun was drafted last year so there’s really no need to address LB twice with a mid round LB that’ll be cut or PS just for the sake of taking another defensive player

There wasn’t any value defensive picks left to take in the 4th. Next picks after Book were DEs and LBs and those positions were already addressed in round 1 and 2. We have starting DEs and LBs, just didn’t have depth before those selections.

Trill Williams was ranked higher than the DBs selected after Book on draft sites, and we got Williams as an UDFA. Round 2 selected a LB Werner and Baun was drafted last year so there’s really no need to address LB twice with a mid round LB that’ll be cut or PS just for the sake of taking another defensive player
I would’ve gone WR - maybe Smith-Marsette

Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick, Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. People often don't realize the role that serendipity plays in success in the NFL. If they hadn't been drafted when they were, and by their team, their careers would have been very different.

We have no idea at all what this kid might become.

Good lord everyone complaining just give it a rest, Tom Brady, colston, Pierre Thomas, no one honestly had a clue who will become what. Anyone of these guys could decide they hate football tomorrow and not put in the necessary effort to be great.

talk negative in about 4 years when you have a reason. All the negativity is killing me man

Well Book has the size and facial birthmark of Brees, so maybe it's fate?

I don't know if Sean Payton really sees something special in Ian Book or if they just gambled and hope that he has what it takes to be the next starter for the Saints. But to speak of a "wasted pick" at the end of the 4th round is a bit presumptuous. I for myself see it this way: In the draft you should nail the first two rounds. And even there, some picks - Anthony, Jean-Baptiste, etc. - are totally wrong or wasted. With good evaluation and of course some luck, you can still find someone who is ready to start in the 3rd round, but from the 4th on you can only hope that your evaluation is point on. In all honesty, a pick in the 5th, 6th or 7th round is perhaps marginally better ranked than a UDFA.
There were already "meltdowns" here when we traded up to get Kamara. In retrospect you could lick all your fingers if you had taken him in the 1st round. It would be justified.
All I want to say is that it is far too early to really evaluate this draft class. Just hypothetically: Suppose Ian Book turns into the savior for years to come in Payton's system. Nobody would have thought Brady, Dak or Winston would have such a career when they were drafted. Does he develop like the coaches hope: Homerun! If he doesn't, than a pick is gone at the end of the 4th round. So what...
We can still can complain enough in the future if no one of our new players really shines.

I think it’s funny that we have spent the last few years watching the front office build and develop a stacked roster. And spent the past year watching other teams poach our front office and coaching staff and sign away players that were scouted and developed by them (acknowledgement from other teams that what the Saints are doing is working). But a big portion of the fan base here are ready to cut their wrists because the same guys that teams across the league are trying to emulate didn’t rank prospects in the order Mel Kiper or internet draft nerd said they should.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom