Ian Book: How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

How do you like the Ian Book pick?

• Love it

Votes: 90 23.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • Too Soon to Tell

Votes: 114 29.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 67 17.1%

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • Don’t like

Votes: 24 6.1%

• Total voters
Just saw a Book interview. I love his confidence. He’s smart too. If it was all about ability, Ryan Leaf would have been one of the best ever. Ok, so he’s a not a perfect prospect. How many (rookie QBs) are?

Notre Dame QB’s who played in the NFL. None of them had as winning a record for the Irish ...as Ian Book.

Beuerlein, Steve
Clausen, Jimmy
Hanratty, Terry
Hornung, Paul
Mirer, Rick
Montana, Joe
Quinn, Brady
Theismann, Joe
Tripucka, Frank

That’s pretty decent company.

Yes, Ian Book has the highest W-L record in Notre Dame history. 🤔

:gosaints:
...with some pretty generic schemes and some play calling in situational football that just didn't translate well. Some route combos they called often against the wrong defenses. His O-line didn't do him many favors either. I am not saying the negative plays he showed were always a result of that, but didn't help. He was pressing sometimes, but I think he tried to do whatever it took to make the most positive play he could. If he can work on his setup/release mechanically and take out some of his "footsy" times (although in general I love a QB with active feet when utilized correctly), he could work very well in a CSP offense.

Was just perusing an article on Daniel Jeremiah's last draft board and where those players went in the draft, and a certain Mr Book, who went pick 133, was ranked 136 on his board.

A long term back up QB option has been need ever since Chase Daniels. I really can't hate it. Not every player is supposed to be a starter. Depth is king. We been using unsustainable stopgap solutions for back up QB for about 4 years. With getting a considerable younger QB, we can risk getting a cheap back up and hope he blossoms.

It's hard for me to get worked up one way or the other about a 4th round pick. Had they drafted him in the 1st or 2nd then I'm sure I'd be feeling some type of way but they didn't.

Obviously he doesn't have great size or arm talent but I can see why SP would like the kid. Book has a lot going for him. He's athletic, smart, and he has great intangibles. By all accounts he's a hard worker and a leader. Those qualities don't mean much to fans but they mean a lot to coaches.

As fans we want QBs with all the talent in the world like Dwayne Haskins. We want great size and rocket arms. But coaches actually have to work with these people. All that talent doesn't amount to anything if the player isn't coachable.

A long term back up QB option has been need ever since Chase Daniels. I really can't hate it. Not every player is supposed to be a starter. Depth is king. We been using unsustainable stopgap solutions for back up QB for about 4 years. With getting a considerable younger QB, we can risk getting a cheap back up and hope he blossoms.

Payton did not draft Book in the 4th round to be a backup QB, he already had that in Hill and Simien. Book was drafted with the eye on the future and Payton thinks he can develop him into a potential starter.

Payton did not draft Book in the 4th round to be a backup QB, he already had that in Hill and Simien. Book was drafted with the eye on the future and Payton thinks he can develop him into a potential starter.

That’s coach hype.

Book is a crapshoot at best. His expectations is to compete against Siemens and probably lose. Then, be regulated to PS. Hopefully, next year... He can make the 52.

Career backup it seems. We need one. Probably over payed for him.

At first, I didn’t really even acknowledge the pick. I thought to myself, maybe practice squad guy for a couple of years, maybe a backup that inactive 95% of the games, then gone after year 3 and forgotten about until brought up as a joke. It’s only a fourth and it’s not like you hit on every pick.

(Warning! The following “Studied” implies highlights, not lowlights or game film)

Then the more I studied Ian Book, the more I like about him. He moves up in the pocket as a first option before he runs. Seems to have good pocket awareness. Pretty good accuracy and his arm is decent enough to still stretch the field. Also, he’s smart with the ball and will not beat you with mistakes constantly

His running ability is a plus but he doesn’t rely on it which is good because I don’t think he’ll ever a scrambler in the nfl.

Just my own opinions.

At first, I didn’t really even acknowledge the pick. I thought to myself, maybe practice squad guy for a couple of years, maybe a backup that inactive 95% of the games, then gone after year 3 and forgotten about until brought up as a joke. It’s only a fourth and it’s not like you hit on every pick.

(Warning! The following “Studied” implies highlights, not lowlights or game film)

Then the more I studied Ian Book, the more I like about him. He moves up in the pocket as a first option before he runs. Seems to have good pocket awareness. Pretty good accuracy and his arm is decent enough to still stretch the field. Also, he’s smart with the ball and will not beat you with mistakes constantly

His running ability is a plus but he doesn’t rely on it which is good because I don’t think he’ll ever a scrambler in the nfl.

Just my own opinions.
I put a bit more depth into my studying of Book earlier in this thread if want to check it out. I looked at game film, highlights, JT O'Sullivan's 2 tapes and even incidental footage of ND, as well. He definitely can scramble and escape with good vision, quick feet and designed runs. He is still a bit raw, but he checks the CSP box of QB intangibles, coachability, fixable mechanics, feet/base and a bit of tenacity. He has more of the things CSP values in a QB than the guys who were after the top 2 or 3 in this draft. Is he someone to slate as "the future", who knows, but he does fit the bill of someone Payton could systematically be successful with. He will never be as accurate as Brees, but has ability to keep feet alive in the pocket and slide/move similar to Brees with a bit more ability to get out and run, although not a Hill type runner. He needs work on being "too footsy" at times and needs to set up better/faster and a more compact, quicker release...which with his mechanics at this stage, looks tweakable. This season could see anything and everything of Winston starting to Winston being inactive and Book starting by end of season...there is a LOT of swing in this QB competition and rotation/depth. A Hill injury will upset the apple cart for #1 and #2 if happens. Be prepared for anything. I think we have a capable QB depth if Payton can keep pulling schemes out of his arse on the fly as he did with Bridgewater and Hill starting when Drew was down. We will be as aggressive as execution by the QB allows on O and definitely aggressive on D.

I put a bit more depth into my studying of Book earlier in this thread if want to check it out. I looked at game film, highlights, JT O'Sullivan's 2 tapes and even incidental footage of ND, as well. He definitely can scramble and escape with good vision, quick feet and designed runs. He is still a bit raw, but he checks the CSP box of QB intangibles, coachability, fixable mechanics, feet/base and a bit of tenacity. He has more of the things CSP values in a QB than the guys who were after the top 2 or 3 in this draft. Is he someone to slate as "the future", who knows, but he does fit the bill of someone Payton could systematically be successful with. He will never be as accurate as Brees, but has ability to keep feet alive in the pocket and slide/move similar to Brees with a bit more ability to get out and run, although not a Hill type runner. He needs work on being "too footsy" at times and needs to set up better/faster and a more compact, quicker release...which with his mechanics at this stage, looks tweakable. This season could see anything and everything of Winston starting to Winston being inactive and Book starting by end of season...there is a LOT of swing in this QB competition and rotation/depth. A Hill injury will upset the apple cart for #1 and #2 if happens. Be prepared for anything. I think we have a capable QB depth if Payton can keep pulling schemes out of his arse on the fly as he did with Bridgewater and Hill starting when Drew was down. We will be as aggressive as execution by the QB allows on O and definitely aggressive on D.
Thanks for your insight on what was more than my “studying”. Lol.

I saw some things that look coachable as you mentioned and that’s encouraging.

Anything can happen but I think Sean will tuck him away for a season if he can. Definitely won’t hurt to learn from Payton and Carmichael for a year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom