Ian Book: How do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

How do you like the Ian Book pick?

• Love it

Votes: 90 23.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 60 15.3%
  • Too Soon to Tell

Votes: 114 29.2%
  • Meh

Votes: 67 17.1%

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • Don’t like

Votes: 24 6.1%

• Total voters
So this is our new Chase Daniel. That’s how I’m going to look at it.

I hope that what the plan is. Could he have been gotten later? Heck I wasn’t sure he’d be drafted.

It’s funny how many people say this is a wasted pick as a 4th rounder is garbage and will never play and at the same time an undrafted QB is in the conversation for being the starter.
Some people don't see the vision, once he suits up and they see how he fits then things will change but ultimately it's about skillset, skillset, skillset and vision it's what Payton preaches, you have to have a vision for the player.

I don't know if he'll be an eventual starter or just a backup or out the league inna couple years but I trust Payton and Co. eye for talent and vision for players they draft so no pick is a wasted pick even if they don't ultimately work out

He liked Canfield and Grayson too.

Just saying.
Then we shouldn’t care about any QB Sean Payton likes and drafts.

But he’s never going to not draft someone. So we’ll always have a player you’ll think we’d like better since any QB Sean Payton likes is probably not good enough because Sean Payton likes them.

Or that’s a terrible point to make.

I am looking forward to the ESPN 30 for 30 in 15 or so years chronicling the “Book 7” talking about all the QBs drafted before him
I would love that to happen, but it’s got to be called Book 8 because he was the 9th QB taken.
5 in the first round
Trask in the 2nd
Mond and Mills in the 3rd

They took a Russell Wilson/Drew Brees type of QB, what's wrong with that?
Other than being short and the scrambling, he’s nothing like them. Wilson is faster and has a much stronger arm. Even brees arm coming out of college seemed stronger based on the film I saw and nowhere near the accuracy

Find one expert who agrees with this selection.

One major draft board that had him where he was taken.

Good ahead smart guy.
Louis Riddick on the ESPN coverage had a lot of great things to say about him/the pick.

You don’t have to like the pick (personally, I don’t think he’ll ever amount to much), but your hyperbole about how terrible and damaging this pick is has gotten out of hand.

I would have rather see us draft a kicker. Book was my least favorite QB in this class. Hope I’m just blind to something Sean sees.

Hes tough. High character guy. Above average mobilty. Not a natural thrower. Not much anticipatation on his throws. His ceiling is Blake Broyles. Texas QB Elhilinger same kinda traits tough good character better thrower

as a Notre Dame fan i feel like i could speak to book quite a bit and id say that he just doesnt have a pro arm. His arm strength honestly was a severely limiting factor in college. Cant see how the upside of this pick is anything but a mediocre backup. Book just doesnt have the tools to be an NFL level passer and isnt enough of an athlete to be anything else. Frankly hate the pick and thats coming from a ND fan who very much enjoyed the book era

Facts. Other than Brees, he doesn't have a record of finding and developing QBs. It is what it is.
That is not a fact at all.

Helped get the best out of Kerry Collins, helped identify and develop Romo, there was the whole Brees becoming a hall of famer thing, he was a big believer in Mahomes (for what it’s worth), is definitely getting more out of Taysom Hill than (probably) anyone else would have, and the same probably for Teddy Bridgewater.

We will most likely see what he can do with Jameis Winston this season. Winston certainly thought enough of Payton’s bonafides to make a short-term sacrifice to go to Payton’s “QB school”.

I’d add that when you do help develop a future hall of fame qb, and have him for 15 years, you don’t really have the time or opportunity to identify/draft/develop many really good prospects at the qb position.

I think his resume is pretty good, especially given the circumstances.

Last edited:
That is not a fact at all.

Helped get the best out of Kerry Collins, helped identify and develop Romo, there was the whole Brees becoming a hall of famer thing, he was a big believer in Mahomes (for what it’s worth), is definitely getting more out of Taysom Hill than (probably) anyone else would have, and the same probably for Teddy Bridgewater.

We will most likely see what he can do with Jameis Winston this season. Winston certainly thought enough of Payton’s bonafides to make a short-term sacrifice to go to Payton’s “QB school”.

I’d add that when you do help develop a future hall of game qb, and have him for 15 years, you don’t really have the time or opportunity to identify/draft/develop many really good prospects at the qb position.

I think his resume is pretty good, especially given the circumstances.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Nice post.

I can’t wait to see Ian Book star in the preseason

Excited see if SP draws up QB option plays with Book under center and Taysom taking a handoff in motion once the regular season starts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom