Ian Book (Norte Dame QB) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Mike D said today he thinks Payton likes him a good bit and the Saints could draft him in the 3rd round. All I’ve seen in mock drafts was him being a day 3 pick. I didn’t watch him play a lot, but what I saw was just ok to me. Anybody got a scouting report on him? What y’all think about it if that was one of our 3rd rd picks?

I saw him play some wasnt impressed. With the needs the Saints have and the talent available in this draft, N.O is better served not using a 3rd rounder on him. The chances of a 3rd round QB becoming a productive starter are slim. Cousins and DAK are the only QBs drafted in the 3rd round and beyond in the last 10 years i can think of that have had a good career.

I saw him play some wasnt impressed. With the needs the Saints have and the talent available in this draft, N.O is better served not using a 3rd rounder on him. The chances of a 3rd round QB becoming a productive starter are slim. Cousins and DAK are the only QBs drafted in the 3rd round and beyond in the last 10 years i can think of that have had a good career.
Wilson too

Awww....You didn't give Garrett Grayson a chance? How dare you? That's mess up. LOL (joking, of course).

Payton mentioned him in an interview not long ago. Said Ian reminds him of himself (when he played the position).

So, a shorter QB with a very wide, slower release...LOL.

Love watching the video of Payton play his last game with Bears against the Saints!

Honestly, there is truth to the Payton similar to Book. Another I see parallels to is Danny Wuerffel. They all are pretty smart QB's, and not a rocket arm but good anticipation throws. Book has pretty good pocket awareness and can escape a LOT and still keeps his eyes downfield and made some pretty ridiculous and accurate throws running, in awkward positions. Having active feet, ability to escape pressure, anticipation of throws and keeping eyes downfield are the intangible attributes at QB that you sort of have naturally or instilled early in playing career by HS or don't. You can only coach that into a player to a certain level once they have entered the NFL, but if not built into their football DNA, tough to instill. His pre-snap reads are pretty quick and seems to diagnose fairly well, too. His release is a big windup and a bit slow but has good touch on the "deep" ball. I could actually see him being able to produce in a Payton offense.

Would he be my first choice as a QB for us or even my top 20 of current FA's, journeymen or draft prospects...NO...but I think he COULD be productive under CSP.

Poor Wuerffel gets NO respect. He was not as horrible as people remember but better than Payton was and probably not as good as Book can be if progresses at NFL level. Our O that he was playing in was run by Danny Abramowicz who made "The Carl" Carl Smith seem like a ground breaking OC.

Mike D said today he thinks Payton likes him a good bit and the Saints could draft him in the 3rd round. All I’ve seen in mock drafts was him being a day 3 pick. I didn’t watch him play a lot, but what I saw was just ok to me. Anybody got a scouting report on him? What y’all think about it if that was one of our 3rd rd picks?
He's a competitor. I'd say round 5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom