Saints Ian Book vs Clemson (1 Viewer)

Who knows what Manziel might have done had he had his head on straight.

Book is very similar but Manziel was faster.
Agreed, Manziel had a few things going for him and was a better prospect than Book I would argue. But ultimately, this game is as much about mental fortitude as it is about the physical, that goes doubly so for QB's where processing and mental intangibles count for more than most positions.

This is all true, and at the sametime, somewhat irrelevant.

It's all based on a false syllogism.

Book will be what Book will be. The odds are relatively high that that won't be much when it's all said and done. Those odds are driven by a number of factors - physical parameters, skill set, capabilities and capacities. It's a huge jump for any QB to make, even those with tremendous skill sets and the highest expectations.

I don't love the pick and I don't have high hopes. I do, however, accept that he has a chance, slim though it may be, to stick around for a while and, should the stars align, make something decent of himself. And there is always that lightning in a bottle possibility.
If only he had lightning speed and a lightning arm.

If only he had lightning speed and a lightning arm.
I like his ability to run. He's not a Taysom or Lamar Jackson, but he has enough in that area to add a nice element of spice to his game.

I'm no good at judging QB arm talent but it looks like he's in that sub-par to just about ok range. That's probably the biggest weakness - especially when coupled with height. An inch taller and a stronger arm would have seen him as a really solid second tier prospect I think.

I like his ability to run. He's not a Taysom or Lamar Jackson, but he has enough in that area to add a nice element of spice to his game.

I'm no good at judging QB arm talent but it looks like he's in that sub-par to just about ok range. That's probably the biggest weakness - especially when coupled with height. An inch taller and a stronger arm would have seen him as a really solid second tier prospect I think.
I like his elusiveness to extend plays and all but I thought that all the saber-rattling against Brees was because everyone wanted to upgrade the arm talent of the QBs.

The farthest pass by Air yards that I could find on book was 45 yards and that is pretty awful.

They say the deep balls at his pro day were way off on 5 of his passes too.

You’re relentless! Just support the team.
I'll support the team getting better talent.

What sucks is they pass on the strongest arm in the draft last year in Eason and let him go to the colts in round 4 but take Book this year.

Eason had a stronger arm than Justin Herbert bu ball Velocity.

I like his elusiveness to extend plays and all but I thought that all the saber-rattling against Brees was because everyone wanted to upgrade the arm talent of the QBs.

The farthest pass by Air yards that I could find on book was 45 yards and that is pretty awful.

They say the deep balls at his pro day were way off on 5 of his passes too.

Well, the sabre-rattling of a large segment of fans anyway. :) I'm not sure whether that was a critical aspect of the FO's viewpoint - I would have thought so but clearly, by drafting Book, that wasn't as important to them and acquiring another smaller QB with an average (at best) arm but who's got the intangibles they covet.

Well, the sabre-rattling of a large segment of fans anyway. :) I'm not sure whether that was a critical aspect of the FO's viewpoint - I would have thought so but clearly, by drafting Book, that wasn't as important to them and acquiring another smaller QB with an average (at best) arm but who's got the intangibles they covet.
Danny Wuerffel and Billy Joe Hobert were loaded with intangibles.

Just ask Mike Ditka.

Listened to the pick on WWL yesterday. The guys were actually very excited with the Book. Mike D said he had a feeling Payton was going to draft him and that’s why he mocked him going to us. He what Payton is looking for in ALL of his players is intelligent, not just football, tenacity, leadership and drive. This kid has it all as do the rest of the picks this year. Said Book tends to throw off balance which sometimes affects his accuracy. Said he has the things you can’t teach but what he needs to fix can be fixed.

Also this is the guy Carmichael wanted and Deuce was saying when Book was picked was the happiest he’s ever seen Carmichael.

Finally they said both Winston and Hill have 1 year deals which means Payton isn’t sold on either and if Winston or Hill take the job and the other leaves this kid can fill the Taysom roll.

With all that said he was compared to Romo

Listened to the pick on WWL yesterday. The guys were actually very excited with the Book. Mike D said he had a feeling Payton was going to draft him and that’s why he mocked him going to us. He what Payton is looking for in ALL of his players is intelligent, not just football, tenacity, leadership and drive. This kid has it all as do the rest of the picks this year. Said Book tends to throw off balance which sometimes affects his accuracy. Said he has the things you can’t teach but what he needs to fix can be fixed.

Also this is the guy Carmichael wanted and Deuce was saying when Book was picked was the happiest he’s ever seen Carmichael.

Finally they said both Winston and Hill have 1 year deals which means Payton isn’t sold on either and if Winston or Hill take the job and the other leaves this kid can fill the Taysom roll.

With all that said he was compared to Romo
But why not Kellen Mond?

Help me understand.

They honestly think that Pete Werner and Book are better than Mond?

Mond outplayed Book on the very same field at the Senior bowl and won MVP of the game.

He's taller, faster, stronger, more accurate...

They mentioned him and I’m trying to think what they were saying. I want to say that his play dropped off against big teams and Mike D specifically brought up the LSU game and how he disappeared. Also Books leadership and QB intelligence seemed to be higher.

They mentioned him and I’m trying to think what they were saying. I want to say that his play dropped off against big teams and Mike D specifically brought up the LSU game and how he disappeared. Also Books leadership and QB intelligence seemed to be higher.
He beat LSU on a last second strike in 2019 in 5 overtimes.

Danny Wuerffel and Billy Joe Hobert were loaded with intangibles.

Just ask Mike Ditka.
Yes, and I know what you're intimating but you're lancing at straw windmills which have nothing to do with me - if you'll forgive the malaprop.

Book seems like a sub-optimal, somewhat long-shot type QB prospect, high on intangibles and experience and light on stature and key physical tools. We shall see what happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom