Saints Ian Book vs Clemson (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Say what you want about him but he only lost 5 games and won many big games. He’s a dual threat QB with good pocket awareness. His arm is good enough but not elite. So was Brees’.
He had over 1,100 pass attempts in college. This is a huge stat that helps with succeeding in the NFL. Playing QB is about experience and reps, reps, reps.

And then there’s Sean Payton, don’t underestimate what he can turn Ian Book into. He did it with Brees, a guy many people underestimated. This was Sean’s pick, just like AK was in 2017.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Yes, and I know what you're intimating but you're lancing at straw windmills which have nothing to do with me - if you'll forgive the malaprop.

Book seems like a sub-optimal, somewhat long-shot type QB prospect, high on intangibles and experience and light on stature and key physical tools. We shall see what happens.
Well Chase Daniel was all of the same but appropriately went Undrafted, not in round 4.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well Chase Daniel was all of the same but appropriately went Undrafted, not in round 4.

And again I don’t know what this kid will become but Payton said he reminded him of himself, meaning football intelligence, leadership and grit (not football ability) and he compared him to Romo when he was young

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brady was also taller and stronger.

And I was standing right next to you on the Mac Jones express and was very upset we didn’t move up. I don’t think the Saints future QB is on the team yet but at least this kid gives me something to look forward to in training camp because I know what we already have.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Mike D specifically addressed this because of all the people cracking jokes and said that’s not what Payton meant. Book is a great QB and Payton said the same thing about Brees and Romo
I'm just saying because QBs like him, Josh Heupel, Kilff Kingsbury, Major Applewhite have all found decent coaching jobs.

The draft is for taking elite athletes and or football players.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
And I was standing right next to you on the Mac Jones express and was very upset we didn’t move up. I don’t think the Saints future QB is on the team yet but at least this kid gives me something to look forward to in training camp because I know what we already have.
If he makes the team chances are a better player will get cut.

They also cut Daniel like 30 times before he stuck.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Brady was also taller and stronger.
Brady was most definitely taller, stronger I doubt very much.

But the main point is, it's tough for a QB to make it and become anything more than a flash in the pan or career back up. Physical traits help, intangibles help, being lucky in where you land and how your career path develops helps, acclimating rapidly and effectively to the crucible of the NFL helps.

There are never any gaurantees of success, or of failure, just probabilities.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Brady was most definitely taller, stronger I doubt very much.

But the main point is, it's tough for a QB to make it and become anything more than a flash in the pan or career back up. Physical traits help, intangibles help, being lucky in where you land and how your career path develops helps, acclimating rapidly and effectively to the crucible of the NFL helps.

There are never any gaurantees of success, or of failure, just probabilities.
Being tall, strong and athletic increases that probability.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Being tall, strong and athletic increases that probability.
As do intelligence, ability to process, ability to develop, learn and grow at a rapid pace, and having intangibles like leadership, character and charisma.

And ideally having had a strong base of experience of having been successful previously which you can rely on.

And being in a situation which supports your development and plays to your strengths.

The best prospects with the highest probability of success have all these things.

SaintStephen1

Veteran
Reaction score
Ian Book might be the singular worst pick in the entire draft for these reasons:
1. He will never start a game in the NFL
2. The team drafting him had big needs at two or three other positions where they possibly could have drafted future starters
3. He will offer no contribution to a team that will be on the playoff bubble who will need contributions everywhere
4. He lacks just about every asset needed at the position he was taken
5. He was drafted too high among most experts.
6. He reminded the team drafting him of their HC when he played and that HC was horrible and only played during a strike year.
7. Cannot play special teams when he flames out at position drafted
8. Did I say he won’t ever start a game in NFL?
9. Forgot one, Payton will want to prove he’s right by keeping him longer than he should without looking for next franchise QB

sainthood

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I see more of a Tony Romo comp as the optimum vision. Romo and Payton went to the same college, played the same position, and Romo was the first choice before Brees for Payton because he coached Romo in Dallas and was responsible for brining Romo into Dallas as a rookie free agent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom