Saints Ian Book vs Clemson (2 Viewers)

Poor man's Johnny Manziel.

Comp: Bruce Gradkowski.
Let me correct.....

NOFalcons: “IN MY OPINION, which is nothing more than that of a regular fan with none of the actual research tools or football brain as Sean Payton, especially when it comes to the single position that Sean knows better than basically anyone on the planet......and knows infinitely more than I about playing QB in the NFL.....I think Book is Manziel/Gradkowski. Now I’m going to check my dog’s opinion on the selection. “

Your obsession with keeping Book in check is a bit over the top.

You've responded like 43 times in this thread.

Who are you, the thread monitor?

You go around policing replies like you don't respond a ton in threads that interest you?

Let me correct.....

NOFalcons: “IN MY OPINION, which is nothing more than that of a regular fan with none of the actual research tools or football brain as Sean Payton, especially when it comes to the single position that Sean knows better than basically anyone on the planet......and knows infinitely more than I about playing QB in the NFL.....I think Book is Manziel/Gradkowski. Now I’m going to check my dog’s opinion on the selection. “
I said what I said.

BOOK is a poor man's Johnny Manziel.

He will NEVER be a consistent starter in the NFL.

NEVER.

I doubt that he will be much of a backup here.

they had a 5th, 4th, and 7th rounder starting on their oline in the superbowl in 2009.

Tom Brady was "only a 6th rd pick".
That’s the Offensive Line though. It’s a higher chance for mid-late round Offensive Linemen to become starters than it is for late rounders to become starters on defense.

The Saints’ current starters on defense were acquired in early rounds or through Free Agency

That’s the Offensive Line though. It’s a higher change for mid-late round Offensive Linemen to become starters than it is for late rounders to become starters on defense

Ayodele, Hargrove, Shanle, Fujita, Greer, McCray, Charleston, too on defense.

Lance Moore, Colston, Pierre Thomas.

All 4th rounders or less.

I know that you are desperate to justify this pick but you can't just afford to throw away 4th rounders.

Again.

What does that have to do with his lack of ability to push the ball down the field?

How is his arm an upgrade from Brees in any meaningful way?
You responded so quick that I didn’t have time to finish editing my post 😂. Here’s the second half:

“What makes him a bad pick overall? I’m just trying to make sense of all the venom being spewed his way. Sure we could have gone in a different direction but I feel back up QB is pretty important in this day and age and I think he could keep us afloat for a few games if need be.”

However, I think you may have me confused with someone else because I never mentioned anything about his arm strength in my original post. I was just curious if talent at WR or lack there of played a part in QB evaluation.

His arm likely isn’t a big upgrade from Brees but I’m sure it can be improved through strength training and mechanics work. Does he look like a great QB prospect? No not really. As another poster stated I think he could be a Chase Daniel type or a little better since he’s a great improviser. I think QB depth in paramount for a team.

As a ND fan id say his main negatives are:
- armstrength that is lacking enough to imho be prohibitive as it was a clear issue and very restricting on the offense even in college
- Mid and Deep accuracy, short accuracy is acceptable
- Pocket presence is worse than absent, he manages at times to find a pass rush where there really is none
- Size obviously
- Dont think his scrambling skills will translate to the nfl with better athletes across from him (that being said, it did work against bigger teams in college)
- Gets stuck in negative spirals at times

imho these should be enough to never draft a guy like this but there are also very clear positives
- Absolutely great and bright kid, will fight his arse off
- Pretty good improviser
- Smart and effective scrambler
- Decent accuracy on the run going to his right, to his left its kinda meh
- Great locker room guy
- Have no doubt hell pick up the playbook well and quickly
Sweet.

Ayodele, Hargrove, Shanle, Fujita, Greer, McCray, Charleston, too on defense.

Lance Moore, Colston, Pierre Thomas.

All 4th rounders or less.

I know that you are desperate to justify this pick but you can't just afford to throw away 4th rounders.
My posts was talking strictly about late round draft picks on defense, not Lance Moore, Colston, or Pierre Thomas. And Lance Moore and Pierre Thomas were UDFA’s who rode the bench for a couple seasons before they were developed into starters. They didn’t step in right away

McCray, Greer, Shanle, Hargrove, Fujita, Ayodele, Charleston wasn’t Saints draft picks. They were veterans who came here at the tail end of their careers for a few seasons.

The Saints didn’t draft starters on defense in 4th round or later until recently in 2016 and 2019 with Onyemata and CJGJ both in the 4th round, and both of them were highly rated prospects who slid in the draft. None of those defensive players that slid to the 5th-7th rounds this year are as strong of prospects.

Baun was drafted in the 3rd round last year and Werner was drafted in 2nd round this year. Demario Davis is still here. There wasn’t a need to draft another LB in the same draft.

Jordan and Davenport are the starting DEs. We have depth in Granderson. Payton Turner’s drafted in the first round to replace Hendrickson. Edge rusher was no longer a need.

A late 1st-early 2nd round rated CB Paulson Adebo was drafted in the 3rd to replace Janoris Jenkins. There was no longer a need to draft another DB. Then a 4th round rated DB Trill Williams was just signed here as a UDFA. He kept falling and falling every round in the draft. There was no need to draft another DB

Last edited:
My posts was talking strictly about late round draft picks on defense, not Lance Moore, Colston, or Pierre Thomas. And Lance Moore and Pierre Thomas were UDFA’s who rode the bench for a couple seasons before they were developed into starters. They didn’t step in right away

McCray, Greer, Shanle, Hargrove, Fujita, Ayodele, Charleston wasn’t Saints draft picks. They were veterans who came here at the tail end of their careers for a few seasons.

The Saints didn’t draft starters on defense in 4th round or later until recently in 2016 and 2019 with Onyemata and CJGJ both in the 4th round, and both of them were highly rated prospects who slid in the draft. None of those defensive players that slid to the 5th-7th rounds this year are as strong of prospects.

Baun was drafted in the 3rd round last year and Werner was drafted in 2nd round this year. Demario Davis is still here. There wasn’t a need to draft another LB in the same draft
Those players I mentioned on defense had to have come from somewhere and it definitely wasn't the 3rd round or above.

Those players I mentioned on defense had to have come from somewhere and it definitely wasn't the 3rd round or above.
None of them started right away. It took years for those late rounders & UDFAs to develop into starters

McCray - year 2/3 Jax
Shanle - year 3 Dallas
Greer - year 3 Buffalo
Ayodele - year 3 N.O. , bounced around 4 teams’ PS first 2 years

Fujita was the only one who started early in his career and he was a 5 year vet when he got to the Saints. Hargrove was a early 3rd rounder and Jeff Charleston was a UDFA who was never more than ST and the 4th DE

Besides Greer, the board was always talking about drafting their replacements every year. None were long term players

Book will end up another Chase Daniels....BOOK IT.
Daniel's career has been nothing short of remarkable. He's thrown for 1,694 yards, eight touchdowns, and seven touchdowns — for his entire career — yet has made more than $38 million in career earnings

Nice gig if you can get one of these backup QB roles.

None of them started right away. It took years for those late rounders & UDFAs to develop into starters

McCray - year 2/3 Jax
Shanle - year 3 Dallas
Greer - year 3 Buffalo
Ayodele - year 3 N.O. , bounced around 4 teams’ PS first 2 years

Fujita was the only one who started early in his career and he was a 5 year vet when he got to the Saints. Hargrove was a early 3rd rounder and Jeff Charleston was a UDFA who was never more than ST and the 4th DE

Besides Greer, the board was always talking about drafting their replacements every year. None were long term players
Most players in the HOF were drafted after round 3.

I really don't understand why you continue to pursue this line of argument.

Daniel's career has been nothing short of remarkable. He's thrown for 1,694 yards, eight touchdowns, and seven touchdowns — for his entire career — yet has made more than $38 million in career earnings

Nice gig if you can get one of these backup QB roles.
Nothing wrong with that. I just see him as a backup like Chase who’s super reliable and knows the playbook backwards and forwards. Very reliable in a pinch when your starter goes down all of a sudden.

Most players in the HOF were drafted after round 3.

I really don't understand why you continue to pursue this line of argument.

The hall of fame now lol

Thats a huge stretch and irrelevant to the Saints not finding defensive starters in the draft after round 3 often under Payton and didn’t have anymore needs in this draft after taking DL, LB, CB in the first 3 rounds. That was the only point, I don’t know how you pull hall of fame into it out of thin air grasping for something
90% of late round picks each year doesn’t last long in the league, let alone make the HOF. wow

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom