Saints Ian Book vs Clemson (2 Viewers)

I said what I said.

BOOK is a poor man's Johnny Manziel.

He will NEVER be a consistent starter in the NFL.

NEVER.

I doubt that he will be much of a backup here.
Again.....in your opinion.

And maybe Sean drafted him to fill a need of backup QB so Taysom can be Taysom.

Signing a vet backup QB is more expensive that Book, thus now allowing us to pay more at other positions.
Got to field the strongest 46, and salary stuff matters.

Signing a vet backup QB is more expensive that Book, thus now allowing us to pay more at other positions.
Where did I remotely suggest, insinuate or imply that anything I post is anything other than my unqualified opinion?

Who are you preaching at?

I'm pretty sure that's not why h was drafted, Payton sees his QB of the future in Book he has the same intangibles as Brees and an added skillset that he is athletic and can make plays on the run or when plays break down.

Book in the ND offense executed the intermediate passing game very well and could make down fields throws (sound familiar).

Another thing to look at with Payton is when he signed Brees and went over the offense Brees himself said "these are plays I loved to run in San Diego" Payton responded by saying "I know" which tell you he's always had a vision for what the player does well.

What Book does well is execute bootlegs, rollouts and multiple sets with 2 or more tightened or 4-5 receiver sets that's pretty much what the Saints do outside of the bootleg and roll outs and I'm sure those are plays Payton will implement with Book.

This kid is going to be dynamite in this offense.

The hall of fame now lol

Thats a huge stretch and irrelevant to the Saints not finding defensive starters in the draft after round 3 often under Payton and didn’t have anymore needs in this draft after taking DL, LB, CB in the first 3 rounds. That was the only point, I don’t know how you pull hall of fame into it out of thin air grasping for something
90% of late round picks each year doesn’t last long in the league, let alone make the HOF. wow

Good luck making a case that the saints would've won a superbowl without players drafted after round 3.

Good luck making a case that the saints would've won a superbowl without players drafted after round 3.
? Nowhere was that mentioned about Saints not making a Super Bowl with late round players or not needing late round players.

Your point was there were positions to be upgraded in round 4 and still needs or holes to be filled in round 4, despite taking care of needs at DL, LB, & CB with each pick in the first 3 rounds.

Having holes to fill was proven to be untrue and you bringing up late round picks in the hall of fame didn’t make sense so you change the narrative with inserting things that were never said about not making a Super Bowl with late round picks

If you hate the Book pick in round 4, then it’s because you hate it. Not because the Saints needed to find a franchise player in round 4 or have no players on the roster

Last edited:
? Nowhere was that mentioned about Saints not making a Super Bowl with late round players or not needing late round players.

Your point was there were positions to be upgraded in round 4 and still needs or holes to be filled in round 4, despite taking care of needs at DL, LB, & CB with each pick in the first 3 rounds.

Having holes to fill was proven to be untrue and you bringing up late round picks in the hall of fame didn’t make sense so you change the narrative with inserting things that were never said about not making a Super Bowl with late round picks

If you hate the Book pick in round 4, then it’s because you hate it. Not because the Saints needed to find a franchise player in round 4 or have no players on the roster
If they didn't have holes to fill there wouldn't have been a single player drafted after round 3.

Why sign any UDFAs If there aren't holes?

Are you listening to yourself?

If they didn't have holes to fill there wouldn't have been a single player drafted after round 3.

Why sign any UDFAs If there aren't holes?

Are you listening to yourself?
I think 'holes' may the wrong term to use. A hole, to me at least, is a significant gap in the top two layers of the depth chart. Describing having space for more competition for 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th layers on the depth chart as 'holes' doesn't feel quite right.

Completely agreed that DT, WR, and TE could have used another player to compete for 2nd/3rd/4th layer of the depth chart. Robust competition engenders success. But it was more about finding players with some good traits who could compete, and maybe even make a difference if you hit it lucky. Not quite filling 'holes' or blank spaces in the roster. One has to believe that some of these areas of weakness will also be supplemented by cheap but experienced vets.

The only areas where there was a real hole was at CB and LB where there is a starting position at play as well as the associated significant contributor roles. Everything else was in the 'more competition for a significant contributor role' or less.

Last edited:
As a ND fan id say his main negatives are:
- armstrength that is lacking enough to imho be prohibitive as it was a clear issue and very restricting on the offense even in college
- Mid and Deep accuracy, short accuracy is acceptable
- Pocket presence is worse than absent, he manages at times to find a pass rush where there really is none
- Size obviously
- Dont think his scrambling skills will translate to the nfl with better athletes across from him (that being said, it did work against bigger teams in college)
- Gets stuck in negative spirals at times

imho these should be enough to never draft a guy like this but there are also very clear positives
- Absolutely great and bright kid, will fight his arse off
- Pretty good improviser
- Smart and effective scrambler
- Decent accuracy on the run going to his right, to his left its kinda meh
- Great locker room guy
- Have no doubt hell pick up the playbook well and quickly
"- Pocket presence is worse than absent, he manages at times to find a pass rush where there really is none"
I'm not sure if this happened in one or two games and just stuck with you or what, but, after watching the senior bowl, two games vs clemson, and a game against alabama, I liked his pocket awareness and footwork. I also think his scrambling skills can translate well. Book doesn't just test fast, his game speed is quick and fast. And his short to mid pass accuracy are at least above average. I saw a small sample size of deep balls, but I recall some pretty passes thrown to Chase Claypool deep
Felt the pressure here from his blind side:
View attachment RPReplay_Final1620013224.mov
Moved to create a hole in coverage and threw a very accurate pass:
View attachment RPReplay_Final1620011215.mov

I think the vision is a Russel Wilson type of game. Alot of his game is extending plays. He cant sling it like Wilson can though. There is a little there. Shades of Mark Brunell. But arm talent and anticipation throwing not up to par to me..More probable that he gets phased out of the NFL pretty quickly then having a long career even in a back capacity

I think 'holes' may the wrong term to use. A hole, to me at least, is a significant gap in the top two layers of the depth chart. Describing having space for more competition for 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th layers on the depth chart as 'holes' doesn't feel quite right.

Completely agreed that DT, WR, and TE could have used another player to compete for 2nd/3rd/4th layer of the depth chart. Robust competition engenders success. But it was more about finding players with some good traits who could compete, and maybe even make a difference if you hit it lucky. Not quite filling 'holes' or blank spaces in the roster. One has to believe that some of these areas of weakness will also be supplemented by cheap but experienced vets.

The only areas where there was a real hole was at CB and LB where there is a starting position at play as well as the associated significant contributor roles. Everything else was in the 'more competition for a significant contributor role' or less.

Agreed that’s the better term, space for competition at that point in the draft from rds 4-7.

Competition is nothing for one to lose their mind about if players at certain positions aren’t selected that late in the draft to come in at compete for backup spots.

People were actually upset about Ian Book selected over bringing in 2nd-3rd string competition

I think the vision is a Russel Wilson type of game. Alot of his game is extending plays. He cant sling it like Wilson can though. There is a little there. Shades of Mark Brunell. But arm talent and anticipation throwing not up to par to me..More probable that he gets phased out of the NFL pretty quickly then having a long career even in a back capacity

I'm a Jags fan...and Brunell really is one of my favorite NFL players of all-time. It was amazing to see him get a ring on the Saints. If Book can be remotely close to Brunell, that'd be pretty amazing.

Agreed that’s the better term, space for competition at that point in the draft from rds 4-7.

Competition is nothing for one to lose their mind about if players at certain positions aren’t selected that late in the draft to come in at compete for backup spots.

People were actually upset about Ian Book selected over bringing in 2nd-3rd string competition
To be fair and to do it justice, bringing in the right players for competition is vitally important, even if for space for contributors. Ultimately any player in any position who can come in and compete and win a job on the roster will be better than Book if he doesn't pan out at all.

Personally I would have chosen someone at another position with our 4th round pick, but that's completely without reference to the saints draft board or their vision for various players.

But I do understand that QB is a slightly different case due to the importance of the position and you have to take shots where you feel there's a chance for someone to develop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom