Saints Ian Book vs Clemson (1 Viewer)

Is that a bad thing? He may/may not be a starter in the NFL but can be a quality backup.

If he ends up being a quality backup, I'd say that's a good use of a 4th round pick. We're definitely thin there because I'd rather not have to rely on Hill in that role.

That was a pretty exciting game clip to watch. Book seemed under pressure for nearly the entire game and the O Line broke down a bunch, so I'm not sure I can get a real impression of him. That said, and I don't know anything about anything, my observations are these based on this one video:

Good
  1. He plays heads up, going through his reads when he has time. When he doesn't have time, he's mobile enough to buy time when he scrambles, mostly still looking for opportunities down field.
  2. He doesn't take a lot of bad risks, if coverage is tight or looks to be tightening, he looks elsewhere or scrambles to make a play.
  3. He's aware of where he is on the field and gets to the sideline to throw away balls when plays breakdown. He only took one sack when he was pressured on nearly every play.
Bad
  1. Not a ton of arm talent. Accuracy is just ok and he doesn't seem to have a lot of downfield throwing strength.
  2. He plays on his tip toes quite a bit due to his height, this definitely hurts his throwing strength. Maybe that could be coached out of him, but who knows.
I'm certainly not a QB evaluator. I like his poise and his drive. He's clearly a winner and probably talented enough to be on an NFL football roster, but I'm not sure it's at starting QB. More likely as a backup that won't lose you a game if called into action, but unlikely to carry a team on his back at the NFL level either. Having said all of that, you might be able to develop skills in a player, but you can't teach smarts, poise and drive. He has all of those things from my view on the couch.

His arm strength question is not viable in my opinion because he's made every throw from short, intermediate to deep throws. He's does not have a rocket arm but you never needed on in this offense and to piggy back off your observation he makes good decisions with the ball goes through his reads and a bonus to what he may bring to the offense has the ability to scramble for yards or scramble to keep plays alive.

Ian Book will be an exciting player to add to this offense in the Baker Mayfield mold. He looks like Brees 2.0

If he ends up being a quality backup, I'd say that's a good use of a 4th round pick. We're definitely thin there because I'd rather not have to rely on Hill in that role.
I want Taysom in either the starter role or his Joker Role. I don't just want him on the sideline holding a clip board.

Payton sees something in him that he thinks he can work with. Sometimes that’s all that matters. I know we’ve had other QBs that didn’t pan out. I think that’s more often the norm, so I am obviously not expecting much, but you never know what can come of a player under the right coach. We may be drafting a QB in every draft for 6 more years for all we know. That’s why, though it was inevitable and time, it was hard to see Brees go.

All I see is comments about his arm. But it doesn't look weak to me. So is his weakness that his arm strength is not elite? Because that's not a weakness.
I think his ball velocity seems below average, but I think it is adequate. He has much more velocity than other QBs I've seen like Danny Wuerful, but that's not a great endorsement. I think there are slight mechanical adjustments that can be made plus normal strengthening exercises that will improve his velocity. It is already adequate, so any improvement will only make him a better QB. I think he has good accuracy, makes good decisions with the ball, and is a competitor that led to becoming the winningest QB at ND, so I think he has a good chance of having a decent career, and a better chance than most 4th rounders to have a very good career. If he settles our backup QB role for the next several years, wins a couple of games along the way, yet never becomes a starter, then I think he would've been worth the choice. If he exceeds that, then he'll be a steal.

I think it’s both short velocity AND not getting enough air under his deep ball. It’s not that he can’t throw it deep, it’s that in the NFL you have to have a quicker release to avoid pass rushers and get air under the ball to time the receiver getting deep down field. His deep balls look a bit flat. But as you said, everything else looks pretty good and some of his deficiencies can be worked on. If he was the total package we wouldn’t have gotten him in the 4th, so it’s to be expected. I’m personally excited to see how he pans out.
I saw him throw it with air under it just over 50 yards in one highlight. I know some NFL QBs can tote it 70 yards, but that is only needed for Hail Marys. That distance is quite adequate to keep defenses honest, and maybe he can get a few more yards with tweaked mechanics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom