Ian Book (1 Viewer)

Dude is terrible. I wanted him not to be, but he's terrible.

He can't even take a snap from center.

At this point, I'm not sure Book makes the practice squad. He's like fifth on the depth chart. Jameis, Andy, Taysom, Alvin all ahead

Last edited:
Book was a Sean Payton draft pick in a world where Winston and Hill were battling to be a starter. Winston's contractual future with the Saints was uncertain. Hill's ability to be the guy was uncertain but deserving of the shot Payton promised. Book was a guy. 2021 quarterbacks drafted before Book: first round (Trevor Lawrence (1), Zach Wilson (2), Trey Lance (3), Justin Fields (11), Mac Jones (15)), third round (Kellen Mond (66), Davis Mills (67)). Then Ian Book fourth round 133. (One more QB was taken Sam Ehlinger to the Colts 218 in the sixth round.)

Saints had the 28th pick in the first. All the top QBs were gone. Book was taking a shot.

What I see in the preseason is the Saints are being cautious with Winston and every major player on the team. They are comfortable in what they have in Dalton. The league has changed how it does preseason. Starters do not play much if at all. Book's playing time is a byproduct of if Book has upside and cutting him is going to be a giant mistake, let's see because we plan on having Winston and Dalton as our two official QBs on the roster knowing in a pinch Taysom Hill could play emergency quarterback. It makes zero sense to waste a roster spot on Ian Book unless we are certain he has a strong future.

Preseason game one and two showed it was not just having so many starters injured in the Miami game last year, it was Ian Book too in why the offense looked insufferable. Book is not close to be a starter maybe he stays on our practice squad. Maybe he catches on as some other team's developmental prospect, but at least the Saints had a body to put out there for quarterback in the preseason. The player has to learn to step up in the pocket and keep looking down field in game action. He has one more shot next week. Then I expect Book to get cut but they will do so knowing they gave him a fair chance and did not risk injury to other quarterbacks they plan on playing in the regular season.
Spot on. I was one of those guys who hoped Book could be the man....WANTED Book to be the man....but wasn't sure if he could be. Certainly not sure based on his 1/2 of preseason against the Ravens and his start against the Dolphins. Those 2 games showed me NOTHING about this potential, or lack thereof.

In a perfect world, he would've sat for an entire year, and we could gauge his progress/potential in year 2. This is the reason I hoped the Saints wouldn't draft another QB this year. Well, this is year 2, and I'm not seeing what I had hoped to see. He looks destined for the PS, and I don't think we'll have to worry about him getting poached by another team. I'm willing to keep him around on his rookie contract and see what happens in year 3, but I'm no longer encouraged or hopeful.

If the Saints move on to find another project, I won't be upset. Book is getting every opportunity I wanted to see him get. He just isn't seizing those opportunities. At this point, however it pans out, I'm fine with whatever the Saints' decision will be.

FWIW....I have similar hopes for JW2. I hope he develops, I WANT him to be the answer at QB, and feel that he WILL step up. He hasn't "done it" yet, either. One of these guys has to pan out right? Here's to hoping the NEXT guy is "the man"!

A lot of concerns and fair criticisms about his performance to this point, but I appreciate his candor and accountability. He’s an easy guy to pull for from that standpoint. Going back to last preseason, I’m just not sure he has the passing talent to make it long in the NFL. That said, I thought he had some nice throws in the second half; showed a little more zip on a couple and some better range. Accuracy is subpar, among other areas in need of substantial improvement.

I was a huge Book fan and was wanting him to be a diamond in the rough but he’s seems to have regressed if anything. The game seems to fast for him and he takes forever to go through progressions. I’d cut him and try practice squad and if someone grabs him so be it. It’s not worth keeping 4 QBs with our WRs we have. I’d rather keep an extra WR
Why should we waste a practice squad spot on him ? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Taysom would of killed the Texans. Even when Book played for Notre Dame i dodnt see anything special. Thought he was rather mediocre
The problem with Sean Payton was relying so much on how Parcells coached. If not for a little certain D-Coordinator in NY at the time, Parcells would of never beaten Buffalo or Denver IMO, surely not Buffalo with NY using Hostetler. But Parcells qualification on drafting a QB fit what Book did at ND. But I mean they could of went and got Malik Willis, probably wont win a playoff game, but he damn better than Book.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom