Ian Book (1 Viewer)

Time to turn the page and onto the next chapter of famously not so great backup quarterbacks for the Saints. It was a novel idea to draft him I suppose, but he always seems to get himself into a bind. Just can't seem to get a read on what the defense is doing and I'm tired of watching him worm his away around the pocket trying to find an open receiver. One last word, I'm not trying to sentence him to the Gulag or anything like that, but I have to imagine for a reporter it must be hard to cover this kid.

He struggles sensing and working the pocket pressure. I don’t think any pressure came from inside so he didnt try climbing the pocket enough. He did better things than he sdid last preseason. Let’s see if trial by fire continues to improve him.

Folks, I enjoyed having Drew Brees lead our team. But I always said regarding our future field general that I never want to have another QB that would struggle to see over the linemen. Lack of physical height is not something that is easily overcome. Even Drew failed at times when throwing blindly from the pocket. This is a TALL man's game in most positions on an NFL roster. And quarterback is certainly one of those. We can't teach Book to be Brees, and we can't coach him to play any taller than he is now.

Don't give all the credit for drafting poor quality QB's to Payton. Loomis had to agree to it. Payton likely saw himself in Book, small QB with a decent arm. But Payton needs to remember, he couldn't cut it in the NFL except as a scab player and even then he was bad. Book reminds me a little of John Forcade. Has the heart to play, but the talent level is not quite there. His three mistakes were costly. The third mistake was on the second to last drive, after a time out valet by Houston, he fumbled the snap a second time and crawled for 1 yard. You can't fumble a snap when you're trying to run out a clock. I would look at the team's cutting their QBs to fill the spot for a third QB. There has to be one that is better

Book running with the 1's wont help because you see what his accucaracy or lack of. I felt bad his best throw and TQS drops it. Also his pocket presence is the other major concern. If Jameis is 100 % to start the season I wouldn't be shocked if we go 2 QBs.

Don't give all the credit for drafting poor quality QB's to Payton. Loomis had to agree to it. Payton likely saw himself in Book, small QB with a decent arm. But Payton needs to remember, he couldn't cut it in the NFL except as a scab player and even then he was bad. Book reminds me a little of John Forcade. Has the heart to play, but the talent level is not quite there. His three mistakes were costly. The third mistake was on the second to last drive, after a time out valet by Houston, he fumbled the snap a second time and crawled for 1 yard. You can't fumble a snap when you're trying to run out a clock. I would look at the team's cutting their QBs to fill the spot for a third QB. There has to be one that is better
Grayson was hideous, too.

Looking at Book, I feel he isn't going to be good enough to keep on the roster. I expect some major improvement going from first to second year. Making more mistakes than any rookie right now. He isn't protecting the ball, the throws are inaccurate, kind of clumsy, not fast on his reads, slow release, taking unnecessary sacks. Granted he had real game time.

Whoever scouted Book outright failed. He doesn’t have NFL tools. Never did. He’s small, weak arm, inaccurate. His pocket presence is next level horrendous.
Bingo. Said this at the time. Wasted a pick. No way you could envision him being an NFL caliber pocket passer running a Payton offense after watching him at ND. Payton said he’s a winner. That is irrelevant if you don’t have the arm strength or can see and throw into NFL windows. See Danny Weurfull, winner extraordinaire in college.

Ian Book looks like the New York Jets had developed him for 1 year! I thought we made a trade cus he was looking like Zach Wilson out there !! Jokes aside I would like to see him play with the 1s before we cut bait because the reality is he is probably canada or XFL bound. IMO Not ready to command a team, the Ultra Killer is holding the ball soo long and maybe mental fatigue so many fumbles shouldnt occur between QB and Center . Alot of his drop backs were roll outs and long developing routes says he cant read a defense and can only highlight 1-3 targets in progression i dont remember him in the gun and that suggests a really short leash with the playbook. Hopefully its rust cus that Covid game last year spelled DOOM for him in my eyes and I trust what I see.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom